PDA

View Full Version : Constantly ill

clairer
29-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey people

Can I just ask, are there any other minders out there who are constantly ill with coughs, colds and flu throughout winter or is it just me?

I am taking my vit c and echinacea and was even running around 5 k a week. I have felt ill since about September with one cold or another. A child came in with tonsillitus a fortnight ago and although I rang mum as soon as her temperature rose I was down with flu/sore throat and ear infection a week later! I only took one day off work as I am a single mum and financially we are struggling, if I don't work we won't manage the bills.

I am now going to pay for a flu jab.

clareelizabeth1
29-10-2013, 10:32 PM
On mat leave at the moment but what I was working I wasn't ill in 3 years. Since bring on mat leave I have had tonsillitis twice. I'm hopping my immune system will pick up once I'm back at work and I think breast feeding is taking a lot out of me and makes me more likely to catch things.

When I first started working with children I was ill almost constantly for the first year after that...nothing

hectors house
30-10-2013, 07:56 AM
You are already doing what I was going to suggest so don't know what else you can do - other than ruin your hands by constantly using anti bac gel and spraying everything with anti bac spray, I don't know if that First Defence spray they advertise on TV works, maybe get one of those cotton face masks the Chinese people wear on planes! :D

Hope the flu jab works and even though you may not feel like running make sure you are getting out for walks in the fresh air as much as you can as germs spread more when the central heating is on and windows shut.

FussyElmo
30-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Im the opposite don't really get that ill that often.

Could it be that you are run down and stressed and that is the issue of you being ill not the childminding.

The flu jab wont stop you getting colds, sore throats etc

Kiddleywinks
30-10-2013, 08:24 AM
I agree with Fussy, stress makes us all more susceptible to illness, particularly with little ones around.
I seem to have built up an immunity as haven't had any of the horrible bugs that have been going around since starting minding (Oooops, have said it out loud now! :blush:), but I'm also less stressed now than I was before I started working again and I definitely think the two are linked.

Keep up with the vitamins, and make sure you find a way to de stress and look after yourself :thumbsup:

smurfette
30-10-2013, 09:07 AM
If it's your first winter minding I would say its normal Enough Til your immunity builds .. I now hardly get anything even the colds and coughs but dh seems to get everything the kids bring in even though he hardly sees them. ! I think it's cos he isn't around them all the time to be immune! Keep doing what you are doing taking vitamin c (i
Got one combined with zinc yest in boots which is meant to be great for immune system)
and as pp said lots of fresh air, use anti bac (dettol do an anti viral spray which I find great!) and wash hands lots .. I am sure uou are doing all that and it should pass!

eddie
30-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Perhaps a trip to the doctors as it may be a sign of an underlying illness or the docs may be able to prescribe a tonic? I think zinc supplements are good for building immunity?

Tulip
30-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Sometimes when u have been ill your immunity can be below as others have pointed out and you easily pick up more illness!
All I can suggest is eat well, sleep well and cope with stress as best as u can and think positive :) Hope you are soon back to full fitness x

clairer
30-10-2013, 06:58 PM
It's my third winter minding and I have been like this every winter! You are right though I am very stressed as my dad has had cancer for the last three years and we heard in September it's terminal, I'm so worried for both my parents and feel so helpless as they are not local.

Will try to think of some way to be good to myself..a manicure or massage occasionally or something... even if I haven't the extra money for it.

It doesn't help that my fence blew down and needs mending, the washing machine gave up, the kitchen lights have stopped working and my roof needs some work before winter! All in the last month!!!! The stress is building up!

jaykay79
31-10-2013, 03:00 PM
purrrlease consider using vicks first defence (properly though not just a quick squizz and hope for the best). no it's not the nicest thing up your nose or down your throat but if you catch the cold/flu quick enough it really does work, if you're a bit late with it then it then you'll still have the cold but it stops the cold from getting even worse to the point where you feel like c r a p . last few years, i have been sick as a dog every time i had a cold (which was near constant it seemed) now every time i feel a tickle or a sniffle i am all over it and it has so far worked every time, just had the flu jab yesterday too to double protect myself :) x

yummyripples
31-10-2013, 07:37 PM
When your mindees arrive wash their hands.
Use a one wipe policy for noses and bin the tissues straight away.
Wash your mindees hands when you are blow their noses (baby wipe will be ok)
Get rid of soft toys. Swap play dough for real dough so it can be thrown away after each play.
Sterilise toys regularly.
Wash hands after playgroup.
Don't drink tea or coffee.

They are my tips

clairer
31-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Why don't drink tea and coffee yummee ripples?

sing-low
31-10-2013, 07:58 PM
It's my third winter minding and I have been like this every winter! You are right though I am very stressed as my dad has had cancer for the last three years and we heard in September it's terminal, I'm so worried for both my parents and feel so helpless as they are not local.

Will try to think of some way to be good to myself..a manicure or massage occasionally or something... even if I haven't the extra money for it.

It doesn't help that my fence blew down and needs mending, the washing machine gave up, the kitchen lights have stopped working and my roof needs some work before winter! All in the last month!!!! The stress is building up!

So sorry to hear all of this. Sometimes it seems like everything comes at once, doesn't it? My other suggestion (good ones above) is to make sure you're getting enough sleep. I find everything worse (and my immune system weakened) if I'm tired.

yummyripples
31-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Why don't drink tea and coffee yummee ripples?

It apparently prevents you absorbing iron into your blood stream and zaps your vitamin c.

Tulip
31-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Gosh yummyripples, my bloodstream mostly consists of tea :panic:

yummyripples
31-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Gosh yummyripples, my bloodstream mostly consists of tea :panic:

Mine too lol. I didn't say I followed my own advice.
I am trying to cut down though but it's hard when you are at playgroup and someone thrusts a yummy cuppa and 2 slices of toast in your hands