PDA

View Full Version : renting somewhere away from my home to childmind?

Carla and Sarah
29-10-2013, 02:48 PM
We understand about childminding being in a home setting but if we were to rent somewhere to keep it seperate from my home, would this still be considered childminding? Looking to start with a friend at said rented address. Im not too sure about when it would no longer be considered a childminding business and more a day nursery? Can anyone enlighten us please?

shortstuff
29-10-2013, 02:57 PM
I would think its that you or your friend need to actually live there.

Bluebell
29-10-2013, 03:01 PM
think some people hace seconf homes and so long as you spent the odd night there then it still primarily a residential 'home' enviironment. Would love to do this but would never be able to afford a second home for that purpose! Also you'd have to check with the landlord that they would be ok for you to run a business from there and the premises to be largely vacant at night and weekends.

FussyElmo
29-10-2013, 03:13 PM
I think this would be classed as childcare on domestic property and it is different to childminding itself :D

tulip0803
29-10-2013, 03:52 PM
If you are using it purely for childcare and no longer for a mainly residential purpose the council can insist on planning permission for change of use to business premises (and a landlord is unlikely to be happy with this as it would make it difficult for him to rent as a domestic premises again without going back to planning and paying fees)- this would mean it could possibly be liable for business rates and paying to have waste removed and special clinical waste collection for nappies (like nurseries).

Some councils are very strict mine restricts me to 6 children of any age if I go over that I have to change my home to a business premises

karensmart4
29-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I agree with Tulip... there are lots of implications, extra costs etc when not in your own home.

Simona
29-10-2013, 05:51 PM
We understand about childminding being in a home setting but if we were to rent somewhere to keep it seperate from my home, would this still be considered childminding? Looking to start with a friend at said rented address. Im not too sure about when it would no longer be considered a childminding business and more a day nursery? Can anyone enlighten us please?

It would be Childcare on non domestic premises...Ofsted would be the best to guide you but this link will help

Ofsted | Types of early years and childcare Ofsted inspects (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/early-years-and-childcare/for-childminders/types-of-early-years-and-childcare-ofsted-inspects-0)

It can be done but seek advice
In addition the DfE is making it easier for buildings etc to be used for childcare without restrictive planning permissions...see recent consultation on this for reference, and of course your LA will have advice for you too.

bindy
29-10-2013, 06:00 PM
It may be better to look to rent a business property ,but like every one says you would be charged business rates, gas, water etc. Good luck anyway!

Simona
29-10-2013, 06:44 PM
The rules for claiming in non domestic premises are different...not like cms who can only claim a percentage

best to also seek advice from the Inland Revenue or an accountant if you have one