PDA

View Full Version : Puddings

jadavi
29-10-2013, 07:21 AM
What do you give your mindees for dessert?

We have been giving tesco fromage frais little pots. We offer fruit too.
Now some are getting bigger they are asking for two.
I wondered if there was a reasonably priced normal size fruit yogurt? Haven't been able to find one - they're 40p each here (tesco sains coop) any ideas?
I tried plain Greek with added honey but no go...

maisiemog
29-10-2013, 07:43 AM
I use asda own brand ones. £1 for 6 and its enough for my 8yr old mindee with hollow legs! I've started making a lot of my puddings now. Cheaper as I can make in bulk and freeze some. I do things like bread and butter pudding, rice pudding. We also have fruit kebabs, jelly etc.

I struggle with puddings as it's so hard to keep them healthy. Yogurts and fury seem to be about the limit! Will be watching this thread for other ideas!

miffy
29-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Pudding here is usually yoghurt and fruit - I use own brand yoghurts - the children tried them all and their favourites are Asda and Tesco. I do give them two each.

Miffy xx

hectors house
29-10-2013, 07:58 AM
I just buy the cheap Asda little pots - can't remember what they cost about 10p each I think. For older children I have little plastic pots (think they had cadbury's choc desserts in), I put 2 fromage frais in them and add some blueberries or strawberries. Sometimes I make them into a mini trifle by putting fruit at bottom, then one fromage frais, then some tinned custard and a few sprinkles (we call them princess puddings), or they have custard and banana, or fromage frais, fruit and jelly (have one who is lactose intolerant - so just swap the fromage frais for soya yoghurt), or they all really like tinned tapioca (they prefer the texture to rice pud).

loocyloo
29-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I make my own yogurt!
Electric Yoghurt Maker in yoghurt makers at Lakeland (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3440/Electric-Yoghurt-Maker)
it isn't difficult and I make a big tub, once or twice a week. it doesn't have any added sugar or ANYTHING! just a starter of natural yogurt, UHT milk ( I use full fat ) and a TBSP dried milk powder ( or more to make it thicker ) it does taste different to the shop yogurts, but we add a spoonful of stewed fruit, or jam, or honey, or a sprinkle of sugar ( or 'sprinkles' ) and once they have got used to the fact that its not sweetened fromage frais they do like it!

a big tub lasts us a couple of days ( depending on how many i'm feeding! ) and then I make some more, usually overnight ( using a plug in timer if necessary ) as it takes 8hrs to 'cook'. I keep a couple of spoonfuls of starter yogurt in the freezer. I start with a fresh tub of yogurt from supermarket and put some in yogurt maker, then freeze the rest. then I use the last couple of spoonfuls from the made yogurt to make the next batch, and repeat 3 or 4 times. then I use the frozen yogurt and start again! after 4 or so 'goes' the yogurt seems to become sour.

I don't know how it compares costwise, but I like the fact it has no added anything!

we also have fruit/stewed fruit/crumble/custard/rice pudding/jelly/choc mousse etc.

jadavi
29-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks

I like the additive free ideas
I would make puds but too many don't eat them and I would be too tempted with the left overs :)
Cheers

ja-lula-belli
29-10-2013, 09:57 AM
I offer fruit and yoghurt every day.( cheap own brand) but make a pudding Friday nights. Eg, sponge puddings, pies, crumbles etc.

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

munch149
29-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Fruit and yoghurt here too with the occasional change of banana and custard/rice pudding/jelly I also buy the baby fruit pots when on offer £1 for 4. They were for my daughter initially but seem to go down well for a pudding for all. Could make these yourself tho by just puréeing a mix of Fruits. I always have bananas and apples in the house but then vary another 2 fruits each week so that the children are varied in fruit they eat.

tas
29-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Mine also have fruit or yoghurt, I buy any on offer or the supermarket brands

They always ask for 'frosty yogurts' as they like the choobs/frubes to be frozen so its like icecream sticks

Ali56
29-10-2013, 03:43 PM
I offer fruit, yoghurt, frozen frubes. My lot like the plain natural bio yog-value is fine, with a little squirt of honey or a bit of jam. Rice pud, sugar free jelly, tinned fruit, fruit kebabs with a little pot of H/M chocolate sauce. Or h/m cake, apple crumble, custard, ice cream with h/m fruit sauce/puree, rice krispie cake bites-h/m so I can add raisins, pumpkin/sunflower seeds and other good stuff they don't notice when it's covered in chocolate! Flapjack/mueseli bars, mousse-choc or lemon-so many different puds to have! I do believe it's everything in moderation and if they've eaten fruit for snack after school and a healthy dinner then there is nothing wrong with a small treat more than once a week for pud! I do vary between healthy and not but I'm not religiously fussy about it! If all the kids are active and busy-then it's fine with me.

Tulip
29-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Morrisons do a pack of 6 white choc mousse (normal sized yogurt pot) for about 90p Not as healthy as yogurt but absolutely gorgeous

Vickster
29-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Bananas and custard, crumble, fruit salad. Aldi's mini magnums. Yoghurts, cake.

dawn100
29-10-2013, 10:24 PM
I must be the odd one out here other than fruit I don't routinely offer puddings.

Nicola Carlyle
29-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I don't offer pudding either. I never have. We never had pudding growing up except on a Sunday and we didn't miss it. I've only ever occasionally offered it to my own girls. We have an ever flowing fruit bowl that's always open if the kids want something and of course we have treats especially if we are out somewhere but it's just not something we are used to. X

bindy
30-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I only do fruit and yoghurt. Sometimes Ice cream, may be a biscuit now and again.

clairer
30-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Froobs are £1 for six. I sometimes make apple crumble. The kids also like custard and rice pudding. Or strawberries.

dottylotty
30-10-2013, 09:20 PM
I offer yogurts at the movement they like Moshi monsters 4 large pots for £1 or the wildlife ones are 4 large for £1 or jelly pots & creme caramels. Also they can have fruit too.

MrsP2C
30-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Lidl's sell massive 1kg tubs of yogurt that are amazing - we get the strawberry & Greek yogurt but I've also seen vanilla and another fruit one. All the kids love the strawberry & Greek yogurt with fruit &/or honey & I like the fact you control portion size. Tub costs about £1.80 in my local store & is way nicer than any other value/own brand yogurts I've tried.

jadavi
31-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks

I'll be heading for Lidls!

ja-lula-belli
31-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Lidl's sell massive 1kg tubs of yogurt that are amazing - we get the strawberry & Greek yogurt but I've also seen vanilla and another fruit one. All the kids love the strawberry & Greek yogurt with fruit &/or honey & I like the fact you control portion size. Tub costs about £1.80 in my local store & is way nicer than any other value/own brand yogurts I've tried.

Yes I've had those. They are lovely

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

karen m
31-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Fruit and you hurt are the main ones here to sometimes gingerbread biscuit

lizduncan72
31-10-2013, 12:45 PM
We just have yoghurt or fruit here too