PDA

View Full Version : Needs more sleep

BlondeMoment
28-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been looking after a 10 month old girl for two weeks. Her sleep pattern has previously always been to have from about 9.30 till 11, then about 2 till 4.
I said to Mum when she was visiting that I would have to do school run from 2.45 till 3.45 ish and that I would need to be waking her up. She said that was fine and that we'd work around it. But last week Mum said that when her husband had collected the time before, he'd been concerned about how upset LO was. Yes she was really grumpy because she was really tired. But they knew this may be the case. This little girl fights sleep like you wouldn't believe and won't go back down after school run.
I just need her to be in a better mood when her parents collect her as they seem to be really upset about her being so upset. I've tried explaining that she has a really good time with the others the rest of the day. She just doesn't cope well for the last half hour or so and because of school run I have to cut her afternoon nap short. I've tried putting her down earlier but she won't sleep. I tried waking her up earlier from the morning nap but the bottom line is, she has had it by 4pm. But then I don't think any babies are at their best after 4pm.
Any suggestions?
Lisa xxx

scottishlass
28-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi

Sorry I don't really have any advice but just wanted to sympathise! Both little ones I have aged 16 and 18 months seem to get so grumpy the last hour before they go home and I find I have to work really hard to keep them long that last hour!!

Often wish I finished earlier! Xx

sing-low
28-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Two weeks is still really early days. This little one is still getting used to you. I had a similar scenario and over the course of time as we got to know eachother better and as my LO got older and better able to cope with being tired AND being with a new person, the evening pick-up has got better. I'd say give it time.

Tulip
28-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Could you maybe get her to have her sleep in the pram so she is ready for the school run without having to disturb her too much?

VeggieSausage
28-10-2013, 08:44 PM
At your house could you encourage a quick nap say 9-9.30 in the morning and then a long nap from 12.30 - 2.30 in the afternoon....so she is happier later in the day?.....

clairer
28-10-2013, 08:54 PM
She's ten months old I think she is doing really well! :clapping:

She's bound to go home tired and grumpy! It's a new routine.

jfradgley1
28-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Could you put her to sleep in a pushchair so that you don't have to disturb her at school run time?! Xx

MessybutHappy
28-10-2013, 09:25 PM
At your house could you encourage a quick nap say 9-9.30 in the morning and then a long nap from 12.30 - 2.30 in the afternoon....so she is happier later in the day?.....

This is what I'd be aiming for too!

shortstuff
28-10-2013, 11:25 PM
I would agree with tulip and jfradgley x put lo to sleep reclined in the pushchair no need to disturb for the school run x

greanan
28-10-2013, 11:26 PM
If put her in the pram to sleep so I wouldn't need to wake her when going out on school run. I've done it with a few in the past and it's always worked fine

little chickee
29-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I was going to suggest the same. Do you do the school run on foot? If so put her in the pram at 2pm for her sleep then just go out at 2.45.
If te school run is in the car keep her up til 2.45 and then pop into the car.

Even if shes not used to sleeping in the pram 10 month is plenty young enough to adjust to new routine.

Mummits
29-10-2013, 01:47 PM
The clocks going back should help you as babies don't have a reset button!. If you put her down at 2.45 in the pram she that will be near enough the timing she is used to. If you can come back in without waking her she should sleep through until 5.

BlondeMoment
03-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately I have to do school run by car. Otherwise the pram idea would be perfect.
I've tried the short nap in the morning and long one in the afternoon. It doesn't work lol. She's still too sleepy when I have to wake her and grumps into the late afternoon.
Luckily with it being half term last week I've been able to let her sleep as much as she needs to and she's been much better at going home time. So her parents have at least been able to see that she has been happy and that it is just because she is tired that she is grumpy at the end of the day.

I think the bottom line with this little girl is that she needs her last sleep to last until at least 3.30/4.00pm to cope with the last part of the day.
I think I'm going to try and put her down again after school run now that she's more settled, and see what happens.....

caz3007
04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Don't all children get a bit cranky at tea time and then get a second wind. In my experience tea time is a tough time with little ones, even my nearly 4 year old LO can get a bit grizzly then.

I hope that now she is more settled with you, you can slowly change her naps to fit in.

yummyripples
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Could you perhaps work on completely changing her routine? It's not easy but I like all mine not to sleep in the morning but to stay awake until after lunch (half twelve) sleep as long as they need then be ready for the school run x
Sometimes leads to a better evening sleep for the parents

gef918
04-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I would give it a bit more time. I had a mindee start with me and by 11.00 he was exhausted - grumpy and irritable. He was used to staying in at home in the mornings and couldn't cope with our more outgoing routine. I tried a few different things - leaving playgroup early, going to playgroup later, letting him get his second wind with 10 mins of Peppa Pig, giving him some space to just 'be' when he was overtired. After a couple of months I didn't need to make any adjustments, because he could cope with our routine.

Children's sleep patterns change so quickly really - it won't be long before your little one only needs one nap after lunch, so things will improve.

BlondeMoment
06-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Well today we went out for the morning and LO did really well as she was entertained.
She went down for a nap at 12.30 and slept until 2.30 and didn't get too grumpy into the last part of the day. I tried her down again at 4pm just to see if she would have a bit more sleep but she didn't need it.
I think most of you are right. She just needed to adjust and feel more at home bless her. It was just that her parents didn't like seeing her upset but I did point out that she would need time to settle. Hopefully it's all going to slot into place now. Got another 10 month old starting tomorrow. Here we go again LOL

smurfette
07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Well today we went out for the morning and LO did really well as she was entertained.
She went down for a nap at 12.30 and slept until 2.30 and didn't get too grumpy into the last part of the day. I tried her down again at 4pm just to see if she would have a bit more sleep but she didn't need it.
I think most of you are right. She just needed to adjust and feel more at home bless her. It was just that her parents didn't like seeing her upset but I did point out that she would need time to settle. Hopefully it's all going to slot into place now. Got another 10 month old starting tomorrow. Here we go again LOL

Good news and best of luck for tomorrow x