PDA

View Full Version : term time only ?

Waveawand
28-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Hiya, Ive not been on for a while as have started a Foundation Degree in Early Years. Ive got two part time mindees which makes me working all week. This last half term was rather hard, I just wasn't enjoying the stress of it all at all - on me and my kids I have four children from 5yrs to 12yrs (early starts 7.30 and trying to keep my kids quiet whilst mindees slept - weather was awful which didn't help) this coupled with a other personal family issues had me thinking Id had enough. It was too hard a struggle. I have always worked all year apart from xmas and summer holiday ie a couple of weeks holiday a year. Now im thinking of changing to term time only but am worried with the agencies being trialled that I may be better to just give the parents notice of when I am on holiday Ive already booked off xmas from when my kids break up.
wondering what everyone else does and how you would approach this, one family I know wont be too difficult for as they have plenty of willing aunts etc the other not so but are also rather irresponsible and unappreciative. My course is for two years and will only get harder to fit all reading etc in to an already busy agenda.
any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Bumble Beez
29-10-2013, 07:00 AM
I have a childminder friend who made the decision to work TTO from this year...she loves it and it works for her!
It may be seriously worth considering...especially if you are struggling.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work TTO, but then I like to be busy!
With my holidays, I give as much notice as possible and always offer details of other local childminders service with their permission.

I have 3 boys, 4,8&10, and they all do after school clubs and have other weekend commitments...
I am a parent governor at their school and have also just agreed to be on the local football club committee...I have also just started my foundation degree, 3 years part-time...

I find I have to be very organised, manage my time as well as possible and accept lots of support from family and friends...my boys also have their own responsibilities which helps!

It does get a struggle at times, but I know that it won't be this hard forever :)

Sarah x

Waveawand
29-10-2013, 10:04 AM
I have a childminder friend who made the decision to work TTO from this year...she loves it and it works for her!

Sarah x

Hiya Sarah and thanks for your response. I normally manage but I think with lots of things happening at the same time and me always at the helm is getting me down a bit. Did your friend lose any of her mindees as a result of the change ?
thanks
impressive amount of stuff you do too, not sure I could take that all on and survive in one piece (ie not be stressed!:))
thanks again.

lizduncan72
29-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I didn't make a decision to go TTO but it has worked out that way this year and I loved having my summer holiday off with just my kids. Still didn't get half the things done that I needed to do though, need to be more disciplined in future I think!!!

The Juggler
29-10-2013, 11:17 AM
i can recommend it. I decided to do this a few years back when I started my Foundation Degree. I targetted teachers and school staff and advertised that I didn't charge any retainer for tto work. I was always full. I never quite managed to have all tto children but those I took on who wanted holiday care i told them I would only work 2 days per week max. That gave me study time and time with my kids.

Go for it.

littletreasures
29-10-2013, 11:30 AM
All my children are term time only as parents are all teachers. In 23 years of teaching I have only had to work through the holidays for about 18 months and this wasn't every day.

Wasn't planned like this, but all my children have come on recommendation from other parents.

I love it as I can be chockablock term-time, but knowing I have at least a week off at least every 6 weeks I can cope. 3 children also have parent teachers at private school, so even better.

I charge half fee during the school holidays, but parents have never asked me to have their children so I'm very lucky. Although, now my children are grown up we still have to go away during the school holidays as parents aren't happy if I take time off term time and I wouldn't get paid either.

Bumble Beez
29-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Mr friend didn't lose say of her mindees...they just found alternative care for the holidays...
Whether that is another childminder, out of school holiday club for family...I'm not sure but all of her mindees stayed :)

Sarah x