PDA

View Full Version : Child only interested in cars

Miss freckles
28-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I look after a 18 mth old who is obsessed with cars, and would happily play with cars and only cars the whole day.

I've tried basing activities around cars, such as cars in shaving foam, collage cars, walks tosspot the cars but he's not interested in looking at cars or painting cars he's physically got to have cars in his hands constantly.

He's not joining in with others, hates any form of sensory play and doesn't enjoy me joining in with his play and is very independent in his play.

I've taken away the car box away but then he changes to trains and does exactly the same with trains and I shouldn't really be taking the cars away I'm guessing Ofsted would say I'm taking away his choice to play with whatever he chooses and I do agree to some extent which is why I don't remove the cars however I have limited the amount of cars in the box now.

He's a very happy child and contented in my care I just can't get him involved in anything so feel like I'm not doing my job as I should (a according to Ofsted expectations)

Anyone experienced anything similar and have advice to share?

dawn100
28-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I've have had little ones who have been obsessed with cars so here are some of the things I have done.
I have done painting with cars - run the wheels through paint and then on paper great fun if you have pull back cars.
Frozen favourite toys in blocks of ice (no so great in this weather)
Set fav toys inside jelly
Added to what they can do with the cars eg the cardboard tubes from inside carpet rolls.
Hidden cars in other toy boxes so they have to search for them.

clairer
28-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi

Definitely do not take away his cars. We should plan around a child's interests so you have been doing the right thing involving cars in his play. You can extend his development further by using diggers and trucks in sand (perhaps the diggers can carry letters of the alphabet cards), use cars and garages, ride on cars in the outdoor area with petrol pumps for pretend play, turn a large box into a car with wheels and some string to push along, remote control cars under adult supervision, junk modelling -make and paint a car!

It's great that he likes to engage in independent play! Let him get on with it!

tas
28-10-2013, 10:41 AM
It's great that he likes to engage in independent play! Let him get on with it!

That comment made me laugh! :laughing:

yummyripples
29-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Use the cars as paintbrushes. Dip the wheels in paint and let him make tracks.

Maza
29-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Could you add ramps so that he starts to learn about gradients? You could also add some tracks (hand made from a cardboard box) to develop his hand/eye co-ordination. You say he doesn't like sensory play but I think you are referring to 'messy play'. Sensory play doesn't have to be 'messy'. I have one who loves cars/trains too and I noticed that he likes to take them to different surfaces - eg, the carpet in the living room, the smooth tiled floor in the kitchen, the leather chairs etc. Could you make a sensory path for his cars - bubble wrap, flat cardboard, sandpaper, rug etc? Outside this could include grass, pebble path, smooth patio, gravel, large rocks. That way you are helping him to engage with his sense of touch. Also, have different types of vehicles available - wooden, plastic, metal, different sizes. Sense of sight and sound - flashing lights/sounds. Pop a couple of hardback books on cars in the car box but don't worry if he doesn't choose to look at them.

Vickster
29-10-2013, 07:49 AM
I have a car obsessed minder now 3,5 and still the same. He always goes for the cars when we are in, but enjoyed the park, music groups when we are out. I taught him number recognition, colours, sharing, size, about books through his love of cars to name but a few. He also now loves clocks, magnets and water play.

Vickster
29-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Oh and he was the youngest minder to grasp the balance bike as he loves wheels!

cherry
29-10-2013, 08:05 AM
If you talk nicely to a carpet shop they usually let you have the inner tubes to carpets, we use them to roll the cars down, it's conkers at the moment. Great fun :)

mrs owl
29-10-2013, 08:14 AM
That comment made me laugh! :laughing:

My thoughts exactly! Lol