PDA

View Full Version : Activities for 9mth old

Tealady
27-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Not had a baby in my care for a couple of years now but had one start a few weeks ago. Was a bit unsettled at first so haven't done a huge amount with him. Just let him play with the baby toys. Explore the setting, been on walks. Just to let him find his feet.

He is now a happy little chappy so feel I need to be doing more with him. He likes song time and instruments. Will look at a couple of pages of a book before wanting to taste it. I just would like some ideas of things to do with him to stimulate him more. I am going to borrow a treasure basket from the toy library after half term.

He is only here 1½ day a week so I don't need to fill a huge amount of time especially as he naps and we have school runs. However my mind set has been with 2+ for the last year or so, I've kind of lost my inspiration where babies are concerned.

clairer
27-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Activity centres with dials, knobs, lights and music. Stacking cups, pop up toys, Jack in the boxes, balls rolled across the floor, peek a boo with muslins, activity cubes, finger puppets, soft flap books, treasure baskets with different textures, nursery rhymes with actions like clapping.

I hope that helps! I've gone blank!;)

Bluebell
27-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I've poured a bit of water on their highchair and let them watch it being poured down, they like to put their hands in the flow, then when its on the tray they can splash it and they seem to really enjoy this. It also keeps it a little safer / contained for a small child.

Also hand prints and then let them explore the feel of the paint and making a mess! Again I normally do this in a highchair or in the garden if sunny.

sensory play such as shredded news paper. Children love to sit in it, lie in it, pick it up and spread it around!

Feathers - the tickly feel and the floaty nature of feathers are great. but with this and the paper not so great if its a child that is putting everything in their mouth.

Definitely can't go wrong with singing nursery rhymes, action songs and banging noisy instruments!!

clairer
27-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Oh and blowing bubbles-that's a good one. Whilst they sit in the high chair.

KatieFS
27-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Singing, dancing, laying on floor with them. Musical instruments - drums maracas jingle bells
Create a baby's adventure with cushions
Use a small cover play beebo
Books
Water play
Treasure baskets