PDA

View Full Version : How long shall I wait before I contact the parents again ?

tetti
26-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I am losing ft mindee in the new year as his parents decided to put him into nursery,and as a result I had a huge paycut...major panic!
Luckily I got contacted by a couple who needed a childminder,and I met with the child and the mother Tuesday.Yesterday the father came around to see me,and he said that they definitely wanted the space (to start in January)
He said that his partner felt very comfortable with me,and that their son seemed to really like it here,plus they were very happy with my Ofsted report and what my current mindee's parents had told them about me (I gave them their numbers so that they could have a chat)
He asked me if I required a deposit,and I told him I would email them my bank details along with the contract (it was quite hectic at the moment as my mindee was just being picked up by his parent )

So I emailed them contract yesterday,and told them that they could print it out,fill in their details,then bring it when they come around next time, and I also gave them my bank account details. The mother replied that they were very please to have found me,and that she would return the contract soon.

But my question is, how long would you wait for them to pay the deposit into your account before contacting them about it?
I do not wish to sound cynical or too impatient,but I cannot relax until the deposit is paid and I have the signed contract infront of me.But also,I am someone who gets things done immediately,so am not very good with people who take their time :)

sing-low
26-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I would wait a week and then email about 'something you forgot to mention' (there's always something) and finish with 'I also wanted to remind you that your place is not guaranteed until I receive your deposit and contract'. And if you have another enquiry sooner than a week then email sooner to tell them that you've had other interest and it's first to sign and return deposit.

tetti
26-10-2013, 07:37 PM
That's a great tip, thank you :)
I am so used to dealing with people,who like me, deal with things immediately. I will definitely contact them in a week if I haven't heard from them as they would have had enough time to sort everything out by then.x

bunyip
26-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I agree.

In addition, ask the parents to check the contract at home but not to sign it until they bring it back to you and sign it at your premises.

If they sign at home, you get caught up in a messy piece of contract law called the Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer’s Home, Place of Work, etc. Regulations 2008. (In brief, it was designed to stop hard-sell doorstep selling of double-glazing, etc. but there is no reason why it cannot be applied to CMs.) This makes additional work for you if you follow it, or gives them an ongoing right to cancel the contract if you don't (as well as being an offense.) :p

bluebell3
26-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I would say its fair to wait a week before contacting them. I recently had someone start with me as she thought she had organised a childminder months ago but when it came to it the childminder hadn't saved the place for her. I am not sure of the exact circumstances but it seems to me that maybe it wasn't clear to the parent that until the contract was signed and maybe a deposit paid that the place would not be held for her.

In the meantime make sure if anyone enquires with you let them know you have a space but are waiting for someone to confirm if they want it and get their contact details so if for any reason it falls through you can get back to them.

Best wishes

serin
26-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Nothings confirmed until that contract is signed! Maybe after a week say you would like to have everything sorted because you have received further interest and you need that contract and deposit as your security... :) Thats what I did and they were very fast to respond!

tetti
27-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Nothings confirmed until that contract is signed! Maybe after a week say you would like to have everything sorted because you have received further interest and you need that contract and deposit as your security... :) Thats what I did and they were very fast to respond!

That's great advice, thank you !:)

tas
27-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Just a thought but they may not be able to print out the contract or may need help or even prefer to do it with you. I'd give it a few days and offer the option of doing the contract with you

tetti
27-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Just a thought but they may not be able to print out the contract or may need help or even prefer to do it with you. I'd give it a few days and offer the option of doing the contract with you

The father asked me to post/email it so that they could fill in their details before bringing it to mine.It would make it easier in the sense that they can't come around here at the same time due to his working hours ,which I can understand.
Parents usually ask me if they can bring it home to fill in and then return it,but this is the first time I have emailed a contract as I did not have one prepared when he came over. I only thought he was here to meet me and see the setting,and did not expect him to say that they wanted the space -they had decided beforehand that if he was as happy with my setting as she was,they would want to take the space .

tas
27-10-2013, 01:44 PM
The father asked me to post/email it so that they could fill in their details before bringing it to mine.It would make it easier in the sense that they can't come around here at the same time due to his working hours ,which I can understand.
Parents usually ask me if they can bring it home to fill in and then return it,but this is the first time I have emailed a contract as I did not have one prepared when he came over. I only thought he was here to meet me and see the setting,and did not expect him to say that they wanted the space -they had decided beforehand that if he was as happy with my setting as she was,they would want to take the space .

Then as others have said i'd wait the week before sending a gentle reminder that the place can't be held until the deposit is paid :)

loocyloo
27-10-2013, 06:14 PM
if parents can't come to me, then I go to them to sign contracts. I don't let a contract out of my sight until we have all signed it and I give parents their copy.

also - you don't have to have both parents to sign contract. I think few of mine are signed by both parents, even if both parents are named on contract!

good luck xxx

Zoomie
27-10-2013, 06:44 PM
I always let parents take the half completed contact home (or I drop it off) so that they can read it at leisure and are not signing under pressure.

I usually arrange for the final signing (I only sign at the end) before I hand over / drop off contract.

clairer
27-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I agree I'd contact them again after a week to see if they are still keen. After all if they have changed their minds you need to know so you can chase other leads. I also would let parents take the half completed contract home so that they can read it at leisure.

mama2three
28-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Id probably ring them today to be honest. not in a pushy way at all - more apologetic that it got very hectic just as he was leaving and have they got everything they need / anything else they wanted to ask , checking they received the email etc. Also offer a convenient time when they might like to return the contract / go over anything else.