PDA

View Full Version : cssiw and ofsted

ja-lula-belli
26-10-2013, 05:34 AM
I was wondering if any one can clarify this for me. Is ofsted England's equivalent to Wales Cssiw?
It seems to me that ofsted have far more rules and are tougher than Cssiw.

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

tulip0803
26-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Yes OFSTED is the registering body for childminders, nurseries and schools in England. Their focus is on education. Childminders in England have to follow EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage). Childminders in England are graded (childminders in Scotland are also registered, inspected and graded by SCSWIS). They are being used a bit politically at the moment!!!!!

CSSIW is the registering body for childminders, meithrins, nurseries and care homes in Wales. Their focus is mainly on care but the new regulations (2012) want to see evidence of education, learning and observations (simple). ESTYN is focussed on education and is the registering body for schools and meithrins/nurseries/childcare that provide free education sessions. Some settings are registered with and inspected by both CSSIW and ESTYN. At present if you are only registered/inspected by CSSIW you do not have to follow a curriculum but you should know about Foundation Phase for ages 3-7 which is followed by ESTYN inspected settings. A curriculum from birth is under development at the moment. We are not graded at present.

Foundation Phase covers everything that we should be doing anyway - lots of outdoor play, exploration, learning through doing, cooking, painting, reading, Welsh language, counting, celebrations etc etc. Also curriculum cymreig (all things welsh) - Welsh flags, rugby, dragons, st davids day, daffodils, leeks, welsh cakes, cawl etc

I lived and childminded in England before moving to Wales so was registered by OFSTED and now CSSIW and yes CSSIW is much more relaxed and helpful (helps we have named inspectors!)

ja-lula-belli
26-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Thank you ever so much for your help x x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding