PDA

View Full Version : Using sparklers.

Glitter
25-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Hello everyone,

Next week is half term for us. I am looking after children from 4 to 12 years old. I would like to get some sparklers for the children to use as it will be dark early and the children will be with me until 6pm.

I have done a risk assessment, found a bucket to fill with water to put the used sparklers in and found enough pairs of gloves for each child.

What I wanted to know is is this a silly idea? Part of me thinks this would be great fun and part of me thinks it is a very bad idea.

What does everyone else think?

Tealady
25-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Only you know the children involved. If they are likely to be calm and follow instruction then I would.

teacakepenguin
25-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I'd be too scared personally, but then my mum would never let us near sparklers as children.

dawn100
25-10-2013, 06:46 PM
One of my kids was given a fire safety from the fire brigade and in there it says never give sparklers to under fives and that most injuries that are to children are caused by sparklers. I think sparkler packets also say warning do not give to under 5's.

cathtee
25-10-2013, 06:52 PM
I have done it years ago, it was lovely the children really enjoyed it :thumbsup:

tulip0803
25-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I did it last year but I only had one child

samb
25-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I am petrified of sparklers and they are probably the only thing I wouldn't want my kids to be given by someone else. Sounds like you have thoroughly risk assessed and know your group of children but I still think its something I'd ask permission for first. On the mm contracts you have to ask permission for things like bouncy castles which although I know have their dangers I feel more parents would be ok with than sparklers. Only my opinion but just a thought in case you have other wary parents who might be unhappy after the event if they weren't asked.

freckleonear
25-10-2013, 07:38 PM
What about poking them into the ground or something as an alternative to holding them?

moggy
25-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Check the packet- I think it says not for under 5s.

So, that would leave the 4 year old out. If you still want to continue with the older ones then I'd do it 1:1 with them.

I have done sparklers with Beaver Scouts (6-8yrs) and they were OK but some didn't want to hold them (too scared) and all needed very close supervision, they get excited and wave them too close to other people etc. Will you have someone else with you to watch the 4yo + any other children who do not want to do it, while you are doing the sparklers? Just risk assess really carefully and check with parents too.

clairer
25-10-2013, 08:29 PM
I didn't think they were legal any more? I have not seen them for years.

lizduncan72
25-10-2013, 09:03 PM
I didn't think they were legal any more? I have not seen them for years.

We had some last year-just for our own kids, would never risk it with my mindees!!

tas
26-10-2013, 07:03 AM
I love sparklers but don't think I would chance it with mindees but then I only look after under 5's

Although saying that if you did do it with your mindees they will have a fab time and will remember it for long time to come :)

FloraDora
26-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Definately no go for under 5's - unless you are their parents( and happy to flaunt recommendations ) I think.

Why would you want to play with something so dangerous when it isn't bonfire night next week?

In my books sparklers are only explored by parents who want to take the risk and on bonfire night.

Lovely though they are...

gef918
26-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Definitely wouldn't give sparklers to mindees. Haven't dared give them to my own children yet (and the oldest is 12)! Not worth the risk.

We make our own sparklers from breadsticks and hundreds and thousands - stuck them on with lemon curd last year. Yummy!

bluebell3
26-10-2013, 08:52 PM
i've given them to my own children under 5 but well supervised, 1 adult per child. wouldn't give it to mindees - the consequences of just 1 child being silly possibly effecting another child, is not worth the risk.
is a lovely idea but maybe leave to the parents to give the treat and be responsible in their homes.

yummyripples
28-10-2013, 11:57 PM
I think you would be very brave to give them sparklers. I would go for glow sticks

Glitter
29-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank you to everyone for the advice. I have decided not to use the sparklers.:(

But I think half an hour of running around the garden in the dark with glow sticks could be fun.
I will keep all the sparklers and play with them all myself (which is what I really wanted to do any way!).

Maza
29-10-2013, 08:47 AM
I was also going to suggest glow sticks. We did that last year and the children still remember it and can't wait to do it this year. They also played 'hunt the glow stick' - they hid their faces whilst I hid the glow stick in the garden - somewhere where they could still see it. It was hilarious! I did sparklers last year with DD and it was her first one. I wouldn't have wanted her to have that experience with anyone else as I wanted to see the look on her face - I'm sentimental like that! Also, I ouldn't have trusted anyone else with the health and safety aspect of it.

supermumy
29-10-2013, 09:24 AM
We use sparklers every year we talk about safety use gloves him sparkler at arm length and than put into bucket of cold water
Mindee and my own 4 love them :)