PDA

View Full Version : People using Childminding info websites to cold call!

hectors house
25-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Had a phone call from lady yesterday who said she got my phone number from Somerset Information Service website but she wasn't ringing about childcare she wanted to talk about how caring I was and how she had a great business opportunity for someone who was as caring as me and I would join her in her business and run it along side childminding, and how often people who worked in a care or health based job really did well in the new business - bla bla bla bla - I had a good idea of what this company and the product was as I have heard it all before from someone I used to childmind for and an old friend who rang me up out of the blue after no contact for 20 years!

I then told her how busy I was with my very successful childminding business, how busy I was with helping set up a new independent childminding group in my town and how busy I was with my newish grandson - thought I would waffle on back for a while and waste her phone bill! Any way I eventually asked her what the product was and my hunch was correct, it was Forever Living products - which don't get me wrong are lovely products, I used to buy them from a mindees parent, but it made me very angry that this people are now using internet data bases to contact us about things not childminding related - today I see that this woman has viewed my profile on childcare.co.uk - so be warned people in Somerset - she is working her way through the list!! I had time to waffle yesterday as it was my day off but wouldn't have normally spend that long on the phone.

bunyip
25-10-2013, 09:03 AM
I would take the caller's details and those of the Somerset Information Service and report it to the ICO. It's an abuse of stored data and probably an offence under DPA. :mad:

sarah707
26-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Unfortunately your email / phone and other contact details can be harvested from just about anywhere online :( there are very few of us who are able to remain truly hidden - we need work so we have to advertise...

If you have seen this person harvesting details from childcare.co.uk I know that Richard will be very interested - please contact him and let him know -

Contact Us - Childminding Forum (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/sendmessage.php)

Thank you xx

Logan
26-10-2013, 08:42 AM
I reported someone to Richard a little while ago. Whilst they'd not got my phone number from Childcare.co.uk they'd been very sneaky. Registered for the free Childcare.co.uk account, got my name & business name then searched the internet for contact details. Very underhand - I did explain to the caller that I wouldn't consider doing business with someone who cold called me and obtained my info in such a devious way!

rickysmiths
26-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I would take the caller's details and those of the Somerset Information Service and report it to the ICO. It's an abuse of stored data and probably an offence under DPA. :mad:

No it isn't because you phone numbers are on the web site for prospective parents and any other Tom, Dick or Harry to view and use if they want. Fis can't vet parents and make sure they really are. It actually surprises me that we don't get more junk stuff in this day and age. I tend to get emails I haven't asked for about training or stuff like BD so I just unsuscribe or put them into junk mail and delete.

Nicpat
27-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi I had someone phone me on Friday for exactly the same thing. She got my number from childcare.co.uk. They must be phoning a lot of people.

hectors house
27-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I reported someone to Richard a little while ago. Whilst they'd not got my phone number from Childcare.co.uk they'd been very sneaky. Registered for the free Childcare.co.uk account, got my name & business name then searched the internet for contact details. Very underhand - I did explain to the caller that I wouldn't consider doing business with someone who cold called me and obtained my info in such a devious way!

Yes that is what this person must have done as my details are not displayed on childcare.co.uk as I'm not a gold member at the moment - I will look up my account and get her details and let Richard know.