PDA

View Full Version : Worried about caring for a child who has had a fit :(

EmmaReed84
25-10-2013, 06:33 AM
I was supposed to have my baby mindee on Wednesday, when her poor Mum text me to say they were in hospital. Mindee had a fit that morning, the doctor said it was a feberal (sp) convulsion, not because her temp got too high, but becaused it peaked extremely quickly. Mum has kept in contact to keep me updated, poor Mum is a nervous wreck now and I don't blame her.

I am not due to have mindee now until the Wednesday after the half term, but I can't help being worried if she fits while in my care! I know we all have training and stuff, but seriously, how do you cope if it actually happens. It is all good and well knowing this stuff in theory, but I just worry my mind will go blank.

Mum said she was hysterical when it happened and it was lucky her husband was there, I can't imagine what poor Mum is going through and I just want to be confident in reassuring her I will be okay. I am very close to Mum and mindee even though they have only been since September, but you know the parents you just click with!

carolyn01
25-10-2013, 06:49 AM
omg that could have been written by me!! I have a 14 month old girl who was in hospital Wednesday after having a second fit (she had one on Sunday) as her temp was too high. Mum thinks its a water infection but is bringing her today as she is fine and on antibiotics now but its still really worrying as its comes on so quickly. Any advice would be good please.

leeanne910
25-10-2013, 06:53 AM
I had a child with head trauma induced epilepsy.

Went on epilepsy training and theynspoke of fits etc

Id do a health plan.

So u kno things like:

Triggers for a seizure
*smells *movements *temperature *speech etc
How long is normal to last
When to.phone an ambulance
Doctor name
Emergency contacts
What does the seizure look like (good description)
What happens after seizure

Hope that helps at least a little

Also any paedriactric first aid would have covered FC

Ali56
25-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Febrile convulsions are because the temperature rises fast and spikes high.
So the best plan is to keep your little mindee cool.
Be vigilant when she has colds/viruses and other bugs where a temperature may be involved.
Calpol and nurofen adminstered and a call to mum if needed.
If temp begins to spike strip baby down to nappiy to cool, turn heating down.

I copied thid from the NHS site for you-
What to do during a seizure
If your child is having a febrile seizure, place them in the recovery position. Lay them on their side, on a soft surface, with their face turned to one side. This will stop them swallowing any vomit. It will keep their airway open and help to prevent injury.

Read more about the recovery position.
If your child is having a seizure, stay with them and make a note of when the seizure started in order to keep track of how long it lasts. If the seizure lasts for less than five minutes, phone your GP or NHS Direct on 0845 4647.

If it is your child's first seizure, or it lasts longer than five minutes, take your child to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. While there is probably nothing seriously wrong with your child, it is best to be sure.

Avoid putting anything, including medication, in your child’s mouth while they are having a seizure. There is a slight chance that they might bite their tongue, but any damage is not usually serious and will heal within a few days. Trying to stop someone biting their tongue by placing your hand or an object in their mouth could be dangerous for you and for them.

High temperature (fever)Reducing a high temperature can help to make your child feel more comfortable, but doesn't affect the chances of a seizure.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen have been shown to be effective in reducing a high temperature. Removing any unnecessary clothes and bedding will also help to lower your child’s temperature.

Aspirin should never be given to children under 16 years old. There is a small risk that the medication could trigger a condition called Reye’s syndrome, which can cause brain and liver damage.

The use of cold sponges or fans is not recommended for treating a high temperature. There is little evidence that they are effective, and they may cause your child discomfort. Your GP can give you additional advice about treating the underlying cause of your child’s high temperature.

It is also important to prevent dehydration during a fever by ensuring that your child drinks plenty of fluids.

Hope it helps a bit. Febrile convulsions rarely cause any long term problems and children normally grow out of them xx

sarah707
25-10-2013, 07:31 AM
DS used to have lots of febrile convulsions - to start with i worried but after the first few I knew he was brewing something and to keep a close eye on him, dose him up and wait to see what happened next.

With someone else's child it's a little more complicated because you need a care plan but beyond that just take it one day at a time. Lo might not have any more fits or might be prone to them - try not to worry. Hugs xx

bunyip
25-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Hi Emma :waving:

Looking on the bright side, at least you've had advanc warning to read up and be prepared.

IME in an emergency, something just kicks in and you get on with it. Frequently, people will cope perfectly with an emergency, but then get hit by an aftershock of realisation and "OMG - what happened there?" - hours or days afterwards. I had this several times dealing with casualties and incidents in my previous job: absolutely went to pieces, and needed someone around me (which thankfully, the company was very good about.)

Make sure that part of your "being prepared" includes having support for yourself in the wake of any incident. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you're perfectly capable and up to it. If the parents doubted you in anyway, they'd just pull the lo out and say nothing. So take it as a compliment that they trust you entirely with their little treasure. :)

teacake2
25-10-2013, 09:08 AM
One of my old mindees used to suffer with frequent epileptic fits, he started when he was 3 years old and some days he would have 10 or more during the day, he got to know when one was coming and if he had time he would say margy happening, he would like to be held really tightly when having one and he would grip so hard some times that it really hurt me but that was his way of dealing with it, when it had finished he would say all gone now head not hurting anymore. He would then go to sleep, sometimes for a couple of hours, he never used to thrash about during them just hold on to me very tightly. I was worried about holding him but his consultant said if that was what he wanted then go with it.
He is now on medication and was free of them for 6 months but they have started again so his medication has had to be increased. The first lot of medication he had was really bad and he had an adverse reaction to it, it made his skin swell and he looked liked he had massive burns on his body. This was very scary.
He is now in year one at school but does miss quite a lot because of his problems, and he seems to be prone to severe chest infections and colds which he never had before.
You will be surprised how you react to things when they happen, your instincts just kick in.
Teacake2