PDA

View Full Version : Experience vs qualifications

KatieFS
24-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi all!

contentious issue....

i went to a Surrey meeting this week and part was about a new scheme to replace network cm's. dividing into groups, essentially saying you need a level 3 to be on the top 2 tiers of memship. Potential impact lack of business as parents will call the 'top' 2 tiers first.
heated debate followed that many cm's been in job 10/15/20 years and no level 3 and that it counts for' nothing' in their eyes. Council rep said yes it counts for something but the world we are in is about gaining proper qualifications.

So - out of interest, what is your view?

Experience or qualifications? What if you had to chose counts got more as a childminder?

I personally see very few children working jobs without a level 3 anyway. I've nearly done my level 3 and feel that it was very beneficial and given me lots of broad relevant knowledge. I do think all cm's should be given financial support to do it

AdeleMarie88
24-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi all!

contentious issue....

i went to a Surrey meeting this week and part was about a new scheme to replace network cm's. dividing into groups, essentially saying you need a level 3 to be on the top 2 tiers of memship. Potential impact lack of business as parents will call the 'top' 2 tiers first.
heated debate followed that many cm's been in job 10/15/20 years and no level 3 and that it counts for' nothing' in their eyes. Council rep said yes it counts for something but the world we are in is about gaining proper qualifications.

So - out of interest, what is your view?

Experience or qualifications? What if you had to chose counts got more as a childminder?

I personally see very few children working jobs without a level 3 anyway. I've nearly done my level 3 and feel that it was very beneficial and given me lots of broad relevant knowledge. I do think all cm's should be given financial support to do it

Well I am a CM, with a child psychology degree, and a level 3 in early years, so I have lots of certificates. I am also only 25, but have 8 yrs childcare experience.

I get lots of calls from parents because of my degree, I am fully aware that I am not necessarily better at my job than someone with 20yrs experience, but I also think that they are no better than me. I chose to get a degree when I did so I had choices later on in life, and now with uni fees rocketing, I'm glad I did. I do feel as I am relatively new to CM, that having my degree has given me the confidence to stand side by side with those CM who have yrs experience. I also think despite how old you are, or how long you have been doing a job, its paramout to keep yourself up to date with current guidelines, you are never to old to learn. I think the best practitioners recognise this, and hold both qualifications and experience with equal respect! I learnt a lot completing my degree, and I am very proud of myself for it. As said it has spectacular market value for parents!!

samb
24-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Both are important. I think it must be harder for a new childminder starting up if they have no previous childcare experience or qualifications?

I don't think that parents would even know about a tiered system would they? And some parents would deliberately ring the other way around out it principle- I don't believe all parents would automatically ring people with higher qualifications but people who do their child's school run, or are advertising something specific that appeals to them etc.

vals
24-10-2013, 08:18 PM
i've been a childminder for 18 years and my experience is def. more important than qualifications. However some parents forget that I know what I am talking about, while others turn to me for advice. I am doing my level 3 because I didn't want to get left behind, and to offer the free 15 hours - our LA is still wanting that. Doing the coursework has helped me a couple of times when I talk to parents that don't listen, as I am able to use better language and make myself sound more official/intelligent -sorry not the best wording but I hope it makes sense.

I got my course part funded,but my tutor told me this week that there is no more funding available, its the 24+ and is like the student loans, you only pay it back of you earn over 21000 and then its in very small amounts. Another reason i felt for doing the course was that if childminding changes too much and I have had enough, it keeps my options open. If I had a day or two with no work I could do bank work at a nursery.

tulip0803
24-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Both are important. BUT I have never had a parent ask me my qualifications, they ask my experience and look at me with the children, however the LA is always asking for what qualifications I have.

I first registered in 2001 and did the L3 Certificate of Childminding Practice because it was offered free and I actually enjoyed it :D. I completed it in 2004. I was offered the NVQ L3 apprenticeship free in 2009 so decided I would do that, again I enjoyed it. Of the 6 childminders on the course all had the CCP and one also had NNEB. I completed it in 2011. I knew a lot and found the work easy (if difficult to fit it) because I was doing it already (however one childminder in particular struggled with the actual work, not fitting it in - she did it during the day and left the children to it:rolleyes:) . I also have a L4 Certificate of Higher Education in Welsh and Bilingualism in the Early Years (done because I moved to a Welsh speaking area from England and it focussed on activities with children rather than adult ed classes). I would say that to me this was the most valuable qualification as it enables me to use Welsh with the children, a necessity here.

AliceK
25-10-2013, 06:59 AM
When my children went to childminders I never once asked / looked at their qualifications. I was more interested in their experience, being a parent themselves and how they interacted with the children and of course that good old gut instinct. None of my parents have ever asked me about qualifications.

xxxx

lizduncan72
25-10-2013, 07:04 AM
No parent has ever asked me about qualifications or inspection grading, they've only ever been interested in my experience and how I'm going to care for their child