PDA

View Full Version : confusion

ja-lula-belli
23-10-2013, 08:08 PM
What's the difference between a learning journal and a daily diary?

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Mouse
23-10-2013, 08:23 PM
A daily diary is what you send home each day giving information to parents. Some people just put things like nappy changes, sleep times, food eaten etc. In mine I put what the child has played with, where we've been, things they've achieved, photos etc.

A learning journey is where childminders put observations, photos, examples of art work, assessments etc. These are shown to parents at regular intervals.

I suppose the LJ shows development over time, whereas the daily diary is used to share information on a regular basis.

ja-lula-belli
23-10-2013, 08:32 PM
A daily diary is what you send home each day giving information to parents. Some people just put things like nappy changes, sleep times, food eaten etc. In mine I put what the child has played with, where we've been, things they've achieved, photos etc.

A learning journey is where childminders put observations, photos, examples of art work, assessments etc. These are shown to parents at regular intervals.

I suppose the LJ shows development over time, whereas the daily diary is used to share information on a regular basis.

Oh thank you ever so much, I'm new to this and there is so much different stuff. A lot of paperwork!

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

bunyip
24-10-2013, 08:21 AM
...unless it's the expensive one you can buy from the pacey webshop, which tries to be both and succeeds in making a very bad job of both. :p

The really good ones are designed by CMs for the unique needs of their children/clients/setting. :thumbsup: