PDA

View Full Version : advice with breast fed baby

ziggy
23-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I have mentioned before about taking on breast fed baby in January. He has never been away from his mummy since his birth in March, doesnt have a dummy or a bottle.

He is having 3 'meals' a day and breast feed on demand.

Both he and mummy have had cold for 10days now. This morning Mummy dropped elder brothers off and looked dreadful. She only had 2hrs sleep last night as baby seems to be using breast feeding for comfort through the night.

I felt so sorry for her I offered to take baby tomorrow for the morning so she can sleep and he can get used to be away from her.

She is going to send formula with a bottle and a cup.

Any advice??? I have big bottle of red wine ready for tomorrow evening:laughing::laughing::laughing:

weedotes
23-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi Ziggy my experience was many years ago but similar and I also noticed another childminder at toddlers having the same experience . We found when we tried to hold the wee ones to feed them they just cried refused the bottle and tried to turn in to us .
Two things worked , one was holding the baby facing forward . They seemed distracted by the activity in front of them and would feed . Number two was putting them in a pram or car seat and holding the bottle to them chatting and soothing them .. It took a while but they eventually settled .

Becci26
24-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Morning!

Hope it goes well, no advice really as the only ebf baby I have looked after was just turning 1 and eating enough to keep him going without milk.

Let us know how you get on, enjoy ur wine later! :thumbsup:

clareelizabeth1
24-10-2013, 08:02 AM
If you have a man in the house try getting him to give the bottle in some cases I have found the absence of boobs to work wonders.

ziggy
24-10-2013, 08:19 AM
thanks, sadly no men in the house lol

i tried giving him bottle but he wont take it so letting him have little cry in buggy as think he may just be tired and is used to falling asleep on breast.

will try feeding him while in buggy

thanks again

we're going to soft play where other friends/minders will be on hand to help with other two

I feel so sorry for poor wee man, he must wonder what on earth is happening

ziggy
24-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Well it wasnt anywhere near as bad as i expected.

we didnt go to soft play, set up some halloween activities for other two instead

Baby arrived 8am having had breast feed at about 6am. Did school run then offered him bottle, he just wasnt interested, seemed to have no idea what it was (no surprise). Put him down for nap in buggy, he cried, so just kept going back and reassuring him he wasnt alone. He fell asleep after 15mins. Woke about 30mins later, sat in high chair watching others quite happily. Munched on bits of toast/butter. Offered bottle again, not interested.

At 11.30 offered food, ate the lot. Kept offering formula in feeder cup, took a little. Starting rubbing his eyes so back in buggy. Fell asleep with no bottle, breast or crying. I was well impressed with myself. At 12.15 lifted him into car seat (still asleep) took him home (still asleep) and left him with a happy mummy. Talked to mummy and we agreed he is using breast for comfort through night, so she is going to try controlled crying tonight

so fingers crossed all will be well now

thanks for advice

smurfette
24-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Well it wasnt anywhere near as bad as i expected.

we didnt go to soft play, set up some halloween activities for other two instead

Baby arrived 8am having had breast feed at about 6am. Did school run then offered him bottle, he just wasnt interested, seemed to have no idea what it was (no surprise). Put him down for nap in buggy, he cried, so just kept going back and reassuring him he wasnt alone. He fell asleep after 15mins. Woke about 30mins later, sat in high chair watching others quite happily. Munched on bits of toast/butter. Offered bottle again, not interested.

At 11.30 offered food, ate the lot. Kept offering formula in feeder cup, took a little. Starting rubbing his eyes so back in buggy. Fell asleep with no bottle, breast or crying. I was well impressed with myself. At 12.15 lifted him into car seat (still asleep) took him home (still asleep) and left him with a happy mummy. Talked to mummy and we agreed he is using breast for comfort through night, so she is going to try controlled crying tonight

so fingers crossed all will be well now

thanks for advice

Well done you sounds well handled! Great you are getting some settling in done so you aren't worrying all the way to january cos it can be worrying!

jackie 7
24-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Fantastic. Much easier when they eat something zed sleep a bit.

ziggy
25-10-2013, 09:11 PM
mummy came with older brothers today and looked so much better. She fed him once in the night then tried controlled crying when he woke at 3am, it took an hour before he went off but then slept till 7am. Big improvement on her only getting 2hrs sleep the night before.

so pleased she has accepted my advice, lovely to see her looking much more relaxed.

feels good when things go well

clairer
25-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Well done Ziggy..calmly handled!