PDA

View Full Version : Tips for being an outstanding childminder?

Lu 2010
23-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Afternoon all,

What's everyone's top tip for being an Outstanding childminder?

mrs robbie williams
23-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Lol that's like asking how to win the lottery :) :) there is a guide in free downloads think its called a passion for being outstanding x

Simona
23-10-2013, 05:57 PM
The Ofsted evaluation schedule is the best way to understand how cms can achieve Outstanding

Ofsted | Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/evaluation-schedule-for-inspections-of-registered-early-years-provision)

Glitter
23-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Ofsted's idea of what an outstanding childminder should do...Evaluate and reflect on everything you do.
Do lots of extra paper work that is not necessary.
Spend time playing outside even if the rain is torrential.
Never let the children out of your site, even if you need the toilet.

Parent's idea of what an outstanding childminder should do...Never be ill or have time off, even to go on holiday.
Agree to every request, no matter how bizarre.
Care for their children like they are our own family.
Always be ready to listen to all their problems, and never have any problems of our own.

Child's idea of what an outstanding childminder should do...Just be there to care for them and play with them and not mind when they cover us
in paint, snot and food.

ja-lula-belli
23-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Ofsted's idea of what an outstanding childminder should do...Evaluate and reflect on everything you do.

Parent's idea of what an outstanding childminder should do...Never be ill or have time off, even to go on holiday.
Always be ready to listen to all their problems, and never have any problems of our own.

Child's idea of what an outstanding childminder should do...Just be there to care for them and play with them and not mind when they cover us
in paint, snot and food.

Lol great x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

jackie 7
23-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Yes and pray you have a sensible inspector.

hectors house
23-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Speaking to a childminder last week who just got Outstanding on first inspection - her advice was to put as much comprehensive information as you can into your SEF - her inspector constantly mentions in the report things that the childminder didn't tell her on the day so she must have read it in the SEF. You can't verbally tell them everything you need to on the day - not in just a few hours, so write it down!

AdeleMarie88
23-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Speaking to a childminder last week who just got Outstanding on first inspection - her advice was to put as much comprehensive information as you can into your SEF - her inspector constantly mentions in the report things that the childminder didn't tell her on the day so she must have read it in the SEF. You can't verbally tell them everything you need to on the day - not in just a few hours, so write it down!
My ofsted inspector in feb, my first inspection, said in order for her to give an Outstanding you have to show continual professional development. That includes an amazing SEF, lots of up to date training, reflective practice, and endless amounts of evaluating everything you do! After that description I was happy to get a Good! I don't think there is one answer, it depends on the inspector you get in my opinion!

beachgirl29
23-10-2013, 09:01 PM

in paint, snot and food.

I agree with you. I think we are all outstanding for taking on this job and commitment to kids. Who needs a label to say your outstanding!! we are!

Simona
24-10-2013, 06:56 AM
My ofsted inspector in feb, my first inspection, said in order for her to give an Outstanding you have to show continual professional development. That includes an amazing SEF, lots of up to date training, reflective practice, and endless amounts of evaluating everything you do! After that description I was happy to get a Good! I don't think there is one answer, it depends on the inspector you get in my opinion!

That is partly true ...the reason for having a new Evaluation is that it gives us a guidance on how inspectors judge us and where possible a means to discusss and positively challenge the inspector about her judgement on the day....step by step.

Yes inspectors vary but all give us a grade ...however...that grade is dependant on Ofsted Quality Assurance team who was not present on the day of inspection and may well downgrade or upgrade us by looking at the inspector feedback.

Are we all Outstanding? ...I do not think so, my view of course....because I truly believe and see that some cms do go the extra mile to achieve that grade while others are happy just to bob along but still do a very excellent job....some are also very happy with just getting a good
It is in a way 'aspiration' as in any job...you do well you get up the ladder and get recognition

AdeleMarie88
24-10-2013, 07:21 AM
That is partly true ...the reason for having a new Evaluation is that it gives us a guidance on how inspectors judge us and where possible a means to discusss and positively challenge the inspector about her judgement on the day....step by step. Yes inspectors vary but all give us a grade ...however...that grade is dependant on Ofsted Quality Assurance team who was not present on the day of inspection and may well downgrade or upgrade us by looking at the inspector feedback. Are we all Outstanding? ...I do not think so, my view of course....because I truly believe and see that some cms do go the extra mile to achieve that grade while others are happy just to bob along but still do a very excellent job....some are also very happy with just getting a good It is in a way 'aspiration' as in any job...you do well you get up the ladder and get recognition

I'm still new and learning, I am hoping for an outstanding in my next inspection, but it isn't easy, and I don't agree that all childminders are subject to the same level of inspection. Having worked in childcare for 8+ years! I have seen lots of inspectors, and they are all different, and I don't think the inspection process is consistent. I was a manager of a nursery and we hadn't had an inspection for 5 years, I called and called asking them to come, and when they did, one inspector arrived, and stayed for an hour, she graded us Outstanding, which was amazing, but I still fail to see how she could come to that conclusion, when she only visited two nursery rooms, out of 5! This is what I mean by inconsistent and ever so slightly worrying. I think the key is always check your report and any queries, don't hesitate to bring them up!

Simona
24-10-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm still new and learning, I am hoping for an outstanding in my next inspection, but it isn't easy, and I don't agree that all childminders are subject to the same level of inspection. Having worked in childcare for 8+ years! I have seen lots of inspectors, and they are all different, and I don't think the inspection process is consistent. I was a manager of a nursery and we hadn't had an inspection for 5 years, I called and called asking them to come, and when they did, one inspector arrived, and stayed for an hour, she graded us Outstanding, which was amazing, but I still fail to see how she could come to that conclusion, when she only visited two nursery rooms, out of 5! This is what I mean by inconsistent and ever so slightly worrying. I think the key is always check your report and any queries, don't hesitate to bring them up!

I agree with you entirely...the inspection system is not consistent hence the very campaign by #OfstedBigConversation...to bring some consistency in the system and make Ofsted accountable for what they have now put in place
It is also the reason why PLA are publishing a booklet to help providers deal with the complaint process....to help us raise our concerns.

Personally I have been inspected 5 times since Ofsted started the process...each inspection was excellent, now I have to say I am not sure what will happen at the next one because the whole judgement is different and introduces a third party, the QA, with whom there is little room for discussion and who does not evidence what happens on the day.

I do hope there will be some breakthrough in all this in the future.

bunyip
24-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Be a good childminder and get lucky with the inspector (and don't make a pass at her..........................:rolleyes: )

WibbleWobble
24-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Be a good childminder and get lucky with the inspector (and don't make a pass at her..........................:rolleyes: )

Is that the voice of experience?

Wibble x

bunyip
24-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Is that the voice of experience?

Wibble x

She was pleasant enough, but not as sexy as Fussy. :D

lizduncan72
24-10-2013, 08:37 AM

in paint, snot and food.

Love this! Its very true though

FussyElmo
24-10-2013, 11:43 AM
She was pleasant enough, but not as sexy as Fussy. :D

Thank you my darling :D

bunyip
24-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Thank you my darling :D

Naturally, Florence. :thank you:

bunyip
25-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Back on topic, see my post ~16 here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/just-members/125575-does-anyone-just-look-after-children-like-nanny-not-bother-eyfs-etc.html#post1313839

desiderata
25-10-2013, 07:41 PM
16 steps to achieving an outstanding early years Ofsted judgement
Linda Thornton and Pat Brunton outline the key things your early years setting will need to do to achieve an outstanding Ofsted judgement

The new Ofsted framework for the inspection of early years provision came into force on 12 September 2012, to coincide with the introduction of the Early Years Foundation Stage. Ofsted inspectors will be making judgements on the following areas of provision.

How well the early years provision meets the needs of the range of children who attend
The contribution of the early years provision to children’s wellbeing
The effectiveness of leadership and management of the early years provision
The overall quality and standards of the early years provision

Ofsted has produced a range of grade descriptions for early years providers that spell out exactly what it will expect to see in an outstanding early years setting, over and above settings that are judged to be good. Here are the 16 key factors you will need to demonstrate if you are to be judged to offer outstanding provision.
How well the early years provision meets the needs of the range of children who attend

1. You will need to show that you consistently achieve very high standards across all aspects of your work with exceptional educational programmes for children of all ages. Your practice must be inspirational and worthy of dissemination to other providers.

2. Your setting must produce evidence that shows there are rich, varied and imaginative experiences for children, delivered by practitioners who have very high expectations of themselves and the children and who have expert knowledge of the areas of learning and development alongside a clear understanding of how children learn.

3. Your assessment processes for children of all ages must be accurate and focused, including all those involved in the child’s learning. You will need to show how assessment is used to inform planning and to secure timely interventions and support for each child, based on a comprehensive knowledge of the children and their families.

4. Ofsted inspectors must be able to see that the children are well motivated, very eager to join in and that they consistently demonstrate the characteristics of effective learning. They will expect to see an extremely sharp focus on helping children to acquire communication and language skills, and on supporting their physical, personal, social and emotional development to ensure that they are exceptionally well prepared for school or the next steps in their learning.

5. Your setting should have in place highly successful strategies to engage all parents in their children’s learning in the setting and at home.
The contribution of the early years provision to children’s wellbeing

6. All practitioners in your setting must be highly skilled and sensitive in helping children form secure emotional attachments, and must be able to provide a strong base for the children’s developing independence and exploration.

7. The children in your setting must show increasingly high levels of self-control during activities and confidence in social situations; they will be expected to be developing an excellent understanding of how to manage risks and challenges relative to their age.

8. You must demonstrate that all practitioners consistently give the highest priority to the safety of children and effectively support children’s growing understanding of how to keep themselves safe and healthy.

9. In your setting there must be a highly stimulating environment with child-accessible resources that promote learning and challenge children both indoors and outdoors.

10. Ofsted must be able to see that the strong skills of all key persons ensure all children are well prepared for the next stages in their learning. Practitioners must provide evidence that they skilfully support children’s transitions both within the setting and to other settings and school.
The effectiveness of leadership and management of the early years provision

11. In an outstanding setting, leadership will be seen to be inspirational. The pursuit of excellence in all the setting’s activities must be demonstrated by an uncompromising, highly successful and well-documented drive to greatly improve achievement, or maintain the highest levels of achievement, for all children over a sustained period of time.

12. You will need to provide evidence that you have an excellent understanding of your responsibility to ensure that the provision meets the safeguarding and welfare requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage, and that you have effective systems to monitor their implementation.

13. Leaders and managers in your setting will need to show that high-quality professional staff supervision is provided, based on consistent and focused evaluations of the impact of staff practice. A targeted programme of professional development must be in place to ensure practitioners are constantly improving their already first rate understanding and practice.

14. Ofsted must be able to see that children’s needs are quickly identified and exceptionally well met through highly effective partnerships between the setting, parents, external agencies and other providers.
The overall quality and standards of the early years provision

15. To be judged as an outstanding setting, you must be able to demonstrate that your practice consistently reflects the highest aspirations for all children and staff, that it enables children to make excellent progress in relation to their starting points and prepares them extremely well for school or the next stage in their learning.

16. Finally, you must be able to show that all major aspects of your provision are at least good, and are outstanding in most respects, with all legal requirements met.

These key points apply to the inspection of registered early years provision. Although the information applies in a general sense to maintained schools, additional guidance on inspection guidance for schools can be found on Ofsted’s website.
Author details
Linda Thornton

Linda has over 40 years' experience in education as a teacher, headteacher, adviser and lead officer for early years for a local authority. She is passionate about developing children’s thinking and learning, valuing creative learning...
Pat Brunton

Pat’s background as a research scientist has led to her interest in the idea of babies and young children as researchers, and to recognising the value of involving families in their children’s learning. She has extensive experience of the early...
More like this
Safeguarding in early years is everyone’s responsibility
Pat Brunton and Linda Thornton examine the vital importance of having effective safeguarding policies and procedures in light of a serious case review into child abuse at a nursery in Birmingham
Safeguarding in early years is everyone’s responsibility
Pat Brunton and Linda Thornton examine the vital importance of having effective safeguarding policies and procedures in light of a serious case review into child abuse at a nursery in Birmingham
See more from

Early Years Hub

See all

Early years management
Ofsted and inspections

- See more at: 16 steps to achieving an outstanding early years Ofsted judgement | Optimus Education (http://www.optimus-education.com/16-steps-achieving-outstanding-early-years-ofsted-judgement#sthash.L6b8SQYV.dpuf)

bunyip
25-10-2013, 08:30 PM
+17. Get lucky with the inspector (still) :rolleyes:

clairer
25-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Ha ha Glitter!