PDA

View Full Version : Do you tell other parents if you send a sick child home?

smurfette
23-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Just wondered cos I had this Monday sent one home with diarrohea , then This am text from one due today who was also here on Monday saying sick and not coming., turns out it is a temperature so unrelated but made me think! Don't want To get the blame if a Lo gets something from here but would parents be better to be warned what to look out for?

QualityCare
23-10-2013, 07:26 AM
No because its confidential, if it turns out to be contagious ie chicken pox hand foot and mouth then yes l would inform, sickness and diarrohea no because good hygiene practice should mean others shouldn't get it (never in 20+yrs had 2 children with it).

kellib
23-10-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm wondering this too as today I've had to send one LO one after they were sick all over my living room!

Wondering if I should tell the other LO's parents?

hectors house
23-10-2013, 03:00 PM
It's a difficult one as if it is older children who are there when it happens they will just go home and tell their parents that X threw up all over the carpet and how disgusting it was so then it isn't confidential but I think if I was a parent of a little one who had been in close contact with a child who now potentially has a sickness virus I would want to be warned, even if it just influenced whether I made my child eat their tea if they maybe weren't keen (maybe an indicator that they aren't feeling well), may make me pack a change of clothes if I was going out or going on long journey in car - may make me think twice about going out for evening and having a 14 year old to babysit - may make me improve our hygience practices, (extra handwashing, anti bac gel, separate towels).

Parents in my setting would know something was up if they arrived and a child who was here in morning and normally goes home after them is no longer here, even more obvious if that child isn't here tomorrow and the big give away would be the reek of sick that doesn't go away even if you scrub carpet for a week, use a gallon of dettol, carpet cleaner, febreeze and have every window in the house open!

MessybutHappy
23-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I agree, confidentiality in a nursery of 40+ is easy...nigh on impossible when you care for two who come and go at the same time!
And, yes hygiene is key, but I can't stop the germs in the air once a child had been sick, and I'd be mad if I wasn't warned, took my child to see someone elderly or infirm and unknowingly passed on a bug:-(

kellib
23-10-2013, 03:07 PM
That's what I think too, I'd want to be told if my son had been around another child who had been ill.

smurfette
23-10-2013, 03:22 PM
I agree, confidentiality in a nursery of 40+ is easy...nigh on impossible when you care for two who come and go at the same time!
And, yes hygiene is key, but I can't stop the germs in the air once a child had been sick, and I'd be mad if I wasn't warned, took my child to see someone elderly or infirm and unknowingly passed on a bug:-(

Good point! Have anti bac used everywhere but as u say its in the air .. Lo still isn't well
So mum keeping her off tomorrow

blue bear
23-10-2013, 07:02 PM
In the nurseries I've had contact with they always put a notice up if tummy bugs are doing the rounds, I just say another child is off with tummy bug so keep an eye on your lo. Obviously when there is so few here they will work it out but I haven't breeched confidentiality I don't think.

Ali56
23-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I just check with mum of the poorly child that they don't mind me telling the others. I think it is good practice to let parents know. I'd want to know. As said above - what about elderly, ill, immuno compromised etc people they may come into contact with? I know that at least one of the children I care for has a relative for whom a vomity bug ( or any other bug) would almost certainly be a disaster. I haven't come across a parent that minds yet-and all my parents know it's just one of those things, but fore warned is fore armed as my grandmother used to say! X