PDA

View Full Version : If I exclude mindees for HF&M, should I then close if I get it?

MrsP2C
22-10-2013, 01:54 PM
So far 2 of my 6 mindees have got hand, foot & mouth - both mum's have been very good about notifying me & don't plan on bringing LOs for the rest of the week. However, one has asked if I get it does that mean I will close as it isn't clear from my policy & she's understandably worried about extended time off work. As it's not officially an excludable disease there's no reason why I can't open assuming I'm well (& I could do without not earning for the week :panic:), but does this then make my policy invalid or pointless?
Any thoughts?

funemnx
22-10-2013, 02:13 PM
I think it's rare for adults to get HF&M as most children become immune to it as they get older but I'm sure someone with better advice will follow :thumbsup:

QualityCare
22-10-2013, 02:21 PM
It is rare for adults to get it and if they do its usually very mild, a little one that l mind had been unwell all last week mum took him to the walk in center on Friday who diagnosed HF&M and was advised to stay away from other children for 7-10 days, his older sister now has it, other mindee hasn't.

rickysmiths
22-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I have never known an adult get it.

hectors house
22-10-2013, 02:50 PM
One of my mindees mum did get it after he had it - she had it far worse on her feet than he did, she could hardly walk and had to wear flip flops to work in the winter - she said it was agony.

I guess if you did get it then you could wear light weight cotton gloves while working (disposable gloves would make your hands sweat too much) and then put on disposable gloves or rubber gloves over top for nappy changing, washing up etc and could stay open as you will have minimised any risks and are better at hand washing and using correct towel etc than little ones are.

MrsP2C
22-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Great thanks fingers crossed then I manage to miss it

Melanyweb
22-10-2013, 03:55 PM
We have HFM here too. 3 little ones currently have it. One mum was adamant her LO didn't have it, it was just an ulcer. Unlikely seeing as 2 others here had it. Sent her home yesterday as she was so sore she couldn't swallow anything. Came back today after another bad night and said no spots on hands still only one big ulcer on tongue so90 percent sure it's not HFM. (I was still sure it was HFM) LO quiet as a mouse, spots appeared on cheeks 10 mins later and lots of blisters on bottom lip. Poor girls nappy area was red raw when I went to change her. Why don't parents take our word for it, another one of my Mums called the Gp as her daughter wouldn't eat and had a rash. The Gp said " if your childminder thinks it's HFM then it probably is. We can't give her anything and it's so contagious we don't want her in the waiting room" keep her home for 7 days.
I have disinfected everything twice and I'm still panicking about it!!! Arggghhhh.

AdeleMarie88
22-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Some GPs will say adults can't get HF&M although my old nursery mate got it, but then she seemed to get everything, it is exceptionally rare for adults to get it. It's a valid point, and worth reviewing policies. One of my schoolers came home with a letter about it today, so hoping won't spread to my little ones. It is highly contagious! X

Zoomie
22-10-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't exclude for HF&M as such, more on the lines if Mindees are well enough to keep up with our normal routine. Two of my mindees have do far had it.

Tealady
22-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I got it a couple of years back. :-(

Went to bed with the shivers and a high temperature, woke the next day feeling quite a bit better but had the blisters on my hands and feet. Fortunately I only had two v.small ones in my mouth. I also felt very drained for a couple of days. I woundn't have been able to work because of that. My hands and feet felt like they were burned so that made me feel miserable too.

You also have to consider, that if you were to work and a parent felt it was you that passed it on to their LO and then refused to pay for their child's sickness, what would you do?

WibbleWobble
22-10-2013, 09:02 PM
I have never known an adult get it.

I got it a couple if years ago and my word I would not wish it upon my worse enemy!
My mouth was so sore I couldn't swallow my own spit!
I had flu symptoms as well.....it took two weeks for me to feel better

Wibble x