PDA

View Full Version : Settling in sessions

Rickers83
22-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi all

Just wondering how/if people charge for settling in sessions?
For example I have a 13m old coming for 2 hour stay & play which I wasn't going to charge for as mum is there, but when she starts staying by herself I was going to charge for the hours she is left, does this sound right?
Thanks

littlebears1009
22-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I offer a couple of 2 hour settling in sessions free, if parents want more then they pay for them. Its entirely up to you.

AliceK
22-10-2013, 12:39 PM
I offer 4 hrs settling in free of charge, usually to be used in 2 x 2hr slots.

xxx

SJ35
22-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I offer 4 hrs settling in free of charge, usually to be used in 2 x 2hr slots. xxx

I do the same then any further ones are paid for. X

JCrakers
22-10-2013, 12:58 PM
I offer two 1 hour session free of charge. This is usually enough and I've never had anyone ask for more.

If I did though, I would charge :thumbsup:

critch
22-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I charge for all my settling in sessions at my normal hourly charge, after all you are looking after them!

Tazmin68
22-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi
Once a child is alone with me then yes I do charge.

Deb

hectors house
22-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I do 2 hours free then subsequent settling in sessions are charged for. I am settling in a sibling baby at the moment - he came for 2 hours last week which was free, then 4 hours today which will be paid for, then 6 hours including lunch time next week which will be paid for - settling in sessions are invaluable when settling in an age of child, both for that child and the other mindees.

Rickers83
22-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks
They have to give notice to a nursery so we are settling in on the days she's not there. Mum is very worried as she never settled at nursery (not sleeping, eating etc)
I know every child is different but is 4 weeks of settling in too long before she starts coming for her normal half days?

hectors house
22-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks
They have to give notice to a nursery so we are settling in on the days she's not there. Mum is very worried as she never settled at nursery (not sleeping, eating etc)
I know every child is different but is 4 weeks of settling in too long before she starts coming for her normal half days?

How many times a week is she coming and for how long - each week may be too long a gap in between, could you maybe meet mum at the park or a toddler group so child sees that you and mum are "friends". How old is the child?

Rickers83
22-10-2013, 01:42 PM
How many times a week is she coming and for how long - each week may be too long a gap in between, could you maybe meet mum at the park or a toddler group so child sees that you and mum are "friends". How old is the child?

She is going to be coming 3 days a week for half days when she starts properly. But was going to do a couple of days a week building up to the half day between now and the start date, lo is 13months

hectors house
22-10-2013, 03:05 PM
She is going to be coming 3 days a week for half days when she starts properly. But was going to do a couple of days a week building up to the half day between now and the start date, lo is 13months

I had a little one come to me at the same age after Nursery suggested a childminder to his mum as he just never settled - we got there in the end, I was able to do little things that Nursery couldn't like record his favourite Night Garden programme (it wasn't on at right time in morning) and when his mum was about to go put the tv on and play Night garden - this was something similar to home and helped build up his confidence and trust and would distract him long enough for her to leave without him clinging to her and having to be peeled off her which was upsetting for all of us!

sing-low
22-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Don't forget, the settling sessions are just as much for Mum as LO! Particularly when they haven't settled in another setting, Mum will need extra time and reassurance from you.

clairer
25-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I think that is a very sensible time frame for settling and will reassure all parties.

tas
25-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I charge for all my settling in hours and parents can use as many hours as they like :)

smurfette
25-10-2013, 11:16 PM
I used to charge for all settling in, but recently started taking a deposit so to soften the blow I offer 5 hours free settling in! I do think I need it rather than throwing them in for a full day / week but most parents are sensible enough that even if you charge will send for some settling in. I typically do a one hour session, then two and a half day after that.