PDA

View Full Version : Career Progression

skatie
22-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi all, I have recently come to the conclusion that I don't think I want to be a childminder for the foreseeable future ( I don't think my nerves will cope) I will persevere until ds2 goes to school in 3 years time, in the meantime I feel I should be progressing myself to prepare for whatever next step I take. This is where I am at a loss, I know I want to continue to work with children but I don't know in what capacity. I feel I should do the level3 diploma as that is a good grounding but what would that qualify me to do? As far as I can see I could work in a nursery? I think I would prefer to work in a school or children's centre or child psychology ( quite broad really). Just confused about what steps to take next to progress myself.

Any recommendations? What are the qualifications a childminder usually works towards?

KatieFS
22-10-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm probably in a similar position. Childminding for me was always a career move to build up experience if working with children. I do enjoy it most days, my children enjoy it in the main and the families I work with are lovely!! I have learnt so much!

I'm nearly finished level 3 which feels good! Level 3 def worth doing, very helpful and has given me lots if new learning for childminding, for my own children and the future... I think it's essential if you want a career working with children.

I'm not sure what to do next... Ideally if I can keep childminding for a few years, if financially I have work! Maybe do another course next year?
I'd like to move into outreach next so perhaps some volunteer work..? Any suggestions...

Ill watch this thread with interest

Good luck xx

JCrakers
22-10-2013, 11:01 AM
I started working with children at 19yrs as a nanny after 3yrs at fulltime college doing a BTEC in caring followed by NNEB. I'm now 38yrs old and although I'm thoroughly enjoying working as a childminder I know the time will come when I want to do something other than children and get my house back.

I know my patience is wearing out because at weekends I like to get away from children completely, (except my own two) and hate any sort of gathering that has children at it. Even a visit to my sisters-in-laws who as 2 children 5 and 7 is a struggle. :blush:
I think its because in the week its so full on that by Friday I'm exhausted and would like adult company only.

I've no idea what I will do though because I've always worked with children. Something that's easy anyway :laughing: