PDA

View Full Version : Care to learn advice needed

kel1983
21-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi all

I have just been approached by a college student who is starting back after half term. She was given our details and luckily we have the space.
She receives childcare payments through care to learn. This is new for us. I have done a bit of research and see they pay for holidays etc.
In the pass we have had contracts for term time only but is it worth doing half fees to hold space open during hols. Also at present we charge half fees for non attended hours. Is it ok to change the rules with his one and still charge full fees if non attended. We've cared for a lo whose mum attended college before and she wouldn't turn up some days and was paid through student finances to then pay us. Don't wanna get caught out again.

I would love to hear from anyone who uses care to learn or has had experience with this.

Thanks in advance

shortstuff
22-10-2013, 04:49 AM
Sorry I have no experience of this. Just wanted to say hope it all goes ok for you x

Kerry30
22-10-2013, 06:21 AM
I had experience of care to learn a few years ago. Personally i wouldnt use them again but havimg said that i think they were new then and ive since heard they are alot better now. Hope it goes well for you.

hectors house
22-10-2013, 06:28 AM
I had a young mum who was funded through Care to Learn and had no problems at all - I didn't make any changes to my normal practice eg: charged for meals, half fee for holidays etc - can't remember now if I averaged it out over the year or if I told them each week how much was due, all I remember was I did get paid (it was about 5 years ago). Mine was a contract from Sept to July so obviously I couldn't charge them anything for the summer holiday as the contract had ended July.

rickysmiths
22-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Care to Learn will only pay your normal fees and will only pay half fee as a holiday retainer. I don't know if they have increased their max fees but it used to be up to £180 per week (2 years ago) which may be less than you charge, it was less than my fees, but I was prepared to take the loss to support a very young single mum in her education.

They will have forms for you to fill in with all your details and fees, bank and registration details and you will have to send them a copy of your Reg Cert. This needs to be done asap. It may take a few weeks to set up and you may not get paid for a few weeks to start with but once set up you will get a form each month to confirm the student is still using you and the college will get one as well, as long as these are filled in and sent off you will get paid a month in advance into your Bank and the retainer for the long summer holidays will be paid at the beginning of June for the summer.

Kerry30
22-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I think the main reason i had trouble with care to learn was that the parent could never get the form signed as it had to be done by a certain person at the college and she changed courses half way thru year and that seemed to be a hassle too. And i was the one constantly chasing the collge and care to learn. When it was sorted tho care to learn were pretty good. It just put me off using them again!!

caz3007
22-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I think the main reason i had trouble with care to learn was that the parent could never get the form signed as it had to be done by a certain person at the college and she changed courses half way thru year and that seemed to be a hassle too. And i was the one constantly chasing the collge and care to learn. When it was sorted tho care to learn were pretty good. It just put me off using them again!!

I had a similar problem and found it all very stressful. I think someone at the college was ticking or not ticking a box and instead of care to learn letting them know it had to be chased every month. I only charged my normal terms and did get paid full for holidays. I would only take on another care to learn person if I wasn't relying on the money each month. I did get it all paid, but every month it was late

carol cameron
22-10-2013, 01:18 PM
I have been paid through Care to Learn for the last three years. In my experience, once they have approved you it's fine but it can be a nightmare to start with (this has been the same each year). This year it only took six phone calls for me to get my summer retainer (applied for in June) and I did eventually get paid in September !

It has taken seven weeks for me to be paid for the term that started in September but it has finally come through and I know that payments will be fine until June.

I have always been paid , it's just taken ages so please don't rely on the money being paid quickly. That way if it is processed quickly, it's a bonus !

as another poster says you have to confirm the child's attendance with you by filling a form in each month.

karen m
22-10-2013, 05:07 PM
I have used care to learn in the past and never had a problem . I now have a parent at college and they pay every 4 weeks and half fees during half term so both kinds of payment have been fine

sweets
22-10-2013, 06:01 PM
ive used to care to learn and once its set up they pay fine. I always put on the form that i charge full in the hols and they have always paid it no prob. we can claim up to £160 a week from them. Its usually the college that delays payments i the initial weeks, they have to sign the form too and often need chasing up with it.

nicjelley
22-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I took a young learner on under this care to learn scheme at the beginning of September. They paid me September and Octobers fees at the end of September and iv since had forms to confirm that the baby is still attending ...this is what they do each month to authorise a payment. It went straight into my bank no bother and they pay half fees for holidays ....hope this helps .

kel1983
24-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks all for advice. Have filled in the forms so just wait and see how long it takes to receive payment. I'm not relying on the money so am happy to wait. Lo is very cute and family are lovely so happy to do it.