PDA

View Full Version : No show

lashely
21-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Hi just wondering if this is a common occurance?

I'm new ish to minding and have had a mam ask to come see me twice and twice not turned up with no phone call or message or anything. So annoying!!

I have 1 mindee 4 hours a week at the minute and I am starting to worry about whether I will get anymore children.

JCrakers
21-10-2013, 12:44 PM
I think it is quite common.....

With no manners or courtesy I wouldn't be making a third appointment.

clareelizabeth1
21-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Yep it often happens. People make appointment don't show and never make another one. Think of it as a lucky escape if they can be this rude when you don't know them think how rude they would be when you do.

ja-lula-belli
21-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Definitely. Sometimes even tho you want the child for your income sometimes it is just not a right fit.
People who are unreliable are not the ideal clients. Don't worry you will fill up. It takes time . Just keep telling everyone that you are a minder and give out cards and flyers everywhere.

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

cathtee
21-10-2013, 12:55 PM
how annoying, I find this very rude to not turn up with no call the first time but to do it a 2nd this would make me really mad, if she is
like this before meeting you what would she be like after sign up!

Don't get too disheartened about finding new children, put some adverts up in baby clinic or Doctors and give your details to the local
schools if you haven't already done it ad visit playgroups and childrens centres. Hopefully you will get inquiries and new children soon :thumbsup:

lashely
21-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your replies that's made me feel better i was beginning to think it was me.

I think I will look at it as a lucky escape and continue advertising away :-) I have 2 under 5 as my own children so go to play groups but I've not told anyone I'm a childminder yet ill have to start doing that and hopefully will get some children soon :-)

sing-low
21-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your replies that's made me feel better i was beginning to think it was me.

I think I will look at it as a lucky escape and continue advertising away :-) I have 2 under 5 as my own children so go to play groups but I've not told anyone I'm a childminder yet ill have to start doing that and hopefully will get some children soon :-)

Tell everyone! Especially at playgroups - you never know who is looking for good childcare and if you can demonstrate how fab you are with your own children then you're likely to get new enquiries. Good luck.

lashely
25-10-2013, 05:22 AM
Thank you :-)

karen m
25-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Yes no shows are fairly common, like others have said tell everyone you are a childminder, when your in a queue at the shops drop it into the conversation with the person behind you, " gosh need to rush am a childminder and on my way to a group" etc. or " I love these dry days when the children arrive we manage to go for a lovely walk, am a childminder " . A minder a friend was thinking about giving up after a year as she had only 1 child My friend living 150 miles away rang me to say another friend of hers who lived local to me needed care although I had no space I passed details on and now the other minder only has 1 space left, you just never know what's round the corner

Mummits
25-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes I have had a few no-shows too, and it does make me mad, despite the consolation that they probably wouldn't have been the sort of people I would have wanted to deal with. I have also had a fair few mums who have taken up a lot of my time and then either decided not to go back to work or have found friends or relatives to do their childcare. I'm afraid it goes with the territory, and I think there are a lot of people who think that it doesn't matter if they don't turn up or waste our time because we are at home with the little ones anyway.

You have already had good advice about publicising your services. I can only add that the work does ebb and flow and that you do need to be able to weather the sparse times. But every time I have had minded children leave and few enquiries and have even thought of packing in, suddenly there will be a shift and the phone is ringing every day. It is harder getting started, but having your own little ones should help. Good luck.

maisiemog
25-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Happens all the time, I just think it means we get a lucky escape! If they are that rude and unreliable do we really want them to be part of out business!