PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating mindees birthdays

19-10-2013, 07:01 PM
If a mindee comes to my setting on their actual birthday, I will make a fuss by putting up balloons and banners, bake a birthday cake with candles etc. But if they do not attend on their birthday, I just give them a Pressie and card when I next see them.

One of my mindees birthdays fell on a Monday when they are not normally with me. Mum insisted that I put up all the decorations and made a fuss when mindee came to me the following day even though his actual birthday was the day before!!!!! This was last year and I was caught off guard so went along with it but this year I want to say no but don't know how to put it across to pushy mum?!?!?

Mrs Scrubbit
19-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Have you thought about perhaps doing a special little treat on their last session BEFORE their birthday(if not attending on the day)xx

smurfette
19-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I do a little party whenever they are here, maybe session before or the one after whichever suits me.. I just do a little party tea .. Few goodies and a cake, sing happy bday.. I usually put a party tablecloth out (kept for such occasions) and a banner on the wall over where they will sit and take a video and few photos to send home. Might blow up some balloons for them to play with and also give a Pressie and card.
No way would I like being dictated to by parent though ESP re decorations .. But I have found few parents are happy to let me do party then they feel they don't need to bother.!

tas
19-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I'd tell the parent sorry you no longer have those decorations but if she would like to provide a few balloons you will blow them up for the children to play with :)

loocyloo
20-10-2013, 08:10 AM
I make a big fuss if child is with me on their actual birthday and if not, we sing happy birthday & have iced fairy cakes and treats for pudding on the closest day they attend to their birthday. I usually send the birthday present & card to be opened at home ( depending on child )

I've never had a parent comment ( apart from to say thank you ), although those whose children that come on the actual day often send in cakes/treats etc.

it was LO birthday on Friday and the day LO usually attends. another mindee was most indignant that I hadn't put up the banners/balloons etc for his birthday ... I explained that we had had cakes for his birthday, but he had been on holiday with mummy & daddy for his actual birthday day, where as LO was with me. LO had just blown out the candles and we'd cut the first piece of cake and put it on LO plate. I was just opening my mouth to ask who else would like cake and this other mindee said, very loudly. '' why are you not giving me any cake? ''. so we had to have a conversation about manners and waiting and giving me a chance to speak. mindee then had to wait for everyone else before having any cake! LO was 4 and mindee was 4 at the beginning of the year and is now at school!

clairer
25-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I would always just do a present and a card for a child attending my setting.

Maybe some cakes if their birthday falls on the day they attend. It would get very expensive to throw a party for every mindee, isn't that the parents responsibility?

smurfette
25-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I would always just do a present and a card for a child attending my setting.

Maybe some cakes if their birthday falls on the day they attend. It would get very expensive to throw a party for every mindee, isn't that the parents responsibility?

Have to say yes some parents use it as an excuse not to bother! I enjoy it though its part of the service I provide parents like it and it puts a spark of interest in the day!