PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can i say to taking on a baby??

mysuri
19-10-2013, 07:47 AM
OK I know it seems really random question but am I able to say no to taking on a baby? I have an 18month and 5 year old myself but have been asked to take on a 3 month old baby 3 days a week, I also have a 3 year old once a week. I've only just registered so part of me is saying take it it's work but other part is thinking argh no i can't do that!! I know it seems silly and I'm not sure if legally I can turn it down if it's not a valid reason! I just didn't enjoy the baby stage with my own - it's tough going and really love being out and about etc. We only have a standard size car as well so I couldn't take on any older children on the same days although we are thinking of getting a different one. I guess that makes no difference to my decision! I'm sorry if this message is a bit jumbled but I'm really stressing over this decision and I'm not entirely sure why ;( please help! Xx

bunnyjess
19-10-2013, 07:53 AM
You don't have to if you don't want to. It's totally your choice. I always say I won't take any younger than 6 months. If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it xx

Kiddleywinks
19-10-2013, 07:58 AM
You don't have to take on any child if you don't want to - some don't take on under 5's, some only take school age children, some prefer under 3's - you get the idea. Just because you are registered for x amount doesn't mean you must fill those spaces :thumbsup:

scottishlass
19-10-2013, 08:02 AM
I turn people down regularly even though I have spaces I prefer to stick to less children as feel this is best for me xx

Emra81
19-10-2013, 08:15 AM
I've not been registered v long; dd is 18 months and have various part timers 18 months to 28 months but am currently settling in a 6 month old baby (full time so couldn't turn it down!) and it is taking some serious getting used to! Much harder to do activities with the older ones as baby needs a lot of my time at the moment. Getting out n about is a mission and its generally a lot more stressful! Altho each day is getting easier as baby is settling and we settle into a routine. I an definitely having a no' younger than 6 months' policy from now on as 6 months is hard enough! I'd think VERY carefully before taking on too much if I were you!

dette
19-10-2013, 09:12 AM
i took a baby at 9 weeks old earlier in the year .full time and love it.shes so settled its like a second home to her.ive loved watching her develop into a fab little lady.ive another due to start after xmas (was born last weekend ) and another in February (due in December) it is different but so rewarding.Give it a try.At that age they just have bottles sleep and poo :)

mrs robbie williams
19-10-2013, 10:38 AM
i have my friends baby who is 5 months, she started a couple of weeks ago, i also have 2 x 2yr olds on the same day, it is hard work because obviously the baby is very needy, i always i feel i havnt achieved anything when i have her and find it difficult to divide my attention fairly, as others have said if you dont want to do it just say you dont have the space at the moment xx

FloraDora
19-10-2013, 12:35 PM
It is our business, we can take on who we like thats actually a perk I am looking forward to.

Advice given to me by a very experienced childminder is take children from being very young, that way they grow up with your ways, routines etc.. But you have to love the baby stage I think.

Good luck with your decision.

moggy
19-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Your question was can you say 'no' to a request for a place- and the answer is yes, you take on who you want.

We all take all kinds of things into consideration when we meet a family- do we think we will get on, how will that child fit into our own routines (we can only adapt so far!), are we going to enjoy looking after this one, how will they fit in the car/cots, will they fit in with my own children etc etc. I choose not to take over 4s.

You can say you 'only take over 1s' or '6mths+' or whatever. You can put that in your advertising and on-line listings too, by saying 'places available for 1-6 year olds' or whatever age.

If you are not 100% sure then pass on this one. It would be a shame for the child if you took them on and then decided it was not working out.

mysuri
19-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I guess I feel bad as the parents have met me so feel rude now saying no.. She did ask if the age gap was a problem for me. What could I say to them? Sorry on thinking about it I don't think I'm ready to take on a baby so young when I've just started? X

Mouse
19-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I guess I feel bad as the parents have met me so feel rude now saying no.. She did ask if the age gap was a problem for me. What could I say to them? Sorry on thinking about it I don't think I'm ready to take on a baby so young when I've just started? X

I think I would be honest and say just that. Say that having thought about the practicalities of your day, you don't feel you could offer the baby the environment they need. Wish them luck in finding somewhere more suitable, then leave it at that.

Goatgirl
19-10-2013, 02:02 PM
You can tell them it was lovely to meet them and their little one. She was so adorable you were keen to take them on at the meeting, but having thought about the logistics of things, having such a young baby would limit the outdoor activities you do with the other children (you do have to take into consideration the impact on current mindees) so after a long think and with a heavy heart you have decided to only take on children over a year old at present.
Baby is gorgeous so you are sure they will have no problem in finding the perfect setting for her. Then wish them all the best :thumbsup:

Just take a deep breath, pick up the phone, say your piece in a friendly but firm manner and it will all be over in a few minutes, then you can feel better ;).

mysuri
19-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Thank you :) have had the phone call already and mum very happy that I was honest! Thanks everybody xx