PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: 32 mth old Polish child

Fraggle1
18-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Hello,

I've been looking after a little Polish boy who's English is coming on fantastic, which is what his parents have wanted. Now, he is obviously learning both languages. His mum is worried because his English is fantastic and at home he is understanding Polish but answering in English and sometimes mixing both English and Polish when answering but he is finding English easier. I think this is amazing! And I would of thought it was 'normal' when being of dual-language and learning both. I am introducing more 'polish' as much as I can into the setting but should I be contacting LA for advice?
Thanks for any replies x

yummyripples
18-10-2013, 09:54 PM
I would have thought that as we are in England and the main language is English, the parents have accept that the child will be speaking a lot of English. You are doing the right thing supporting him and respecting his polish background but I don't think that you need to be doing any more than you are doing.
I might be wrong in my attitude but if the parents would prefer someone to speak polish to him instead of English they should have found a polish speaking childminder.

yummyripples
18-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Ps my step mum is Russian, she spoke Russian to my step brother wh o answered in English. I think that's normal

Fraggle1
18-10-2013, 10:00 PM
His parents are amazing! They wanted him to come to me to learn English and is the main reason, but just wanted to make sure that this is the natural development and is normal, to me the fact he 'understands' Polish and is meeting all of the EYFS for understanding and speaking but in English sounds great to me, he does find English easier and I'm not surprised, Polish is so hard lol. Thanks for your reply, I think as long as I help more with what I have around my setting thats all I can do :) x

Childminder in Kent
18-10-2013, 10:03 PM
I would have thought that as we are in England and the main language is English, the parents have accept that the child will be speaking a lot of English. You are doing the right thing supporting him and respecting his polish background but I don't think that you need to be doing any more than you are doing.
I might be wrong in my attitude but if the parents would prefer someone to speak polish to him instead of English they should have found a polish speaking childminder.

I agree with this, ad it sounds like you are doing a great job. Well done :clapping:

FloraDora
18-10-2013, 10:07 PM
There is a section of the LEA that helps schools in settling children who have English as a second Language - you could contact them, but you seem to be doing everything they would recomend.

It sounds to me that you are doing a great job in helping him with his English acquisition - he will soon settle into the dual language situation, I have been involved with lots of Polish families and the children always manage dual language - it is up to the parents to encourage the Polish at home.

Just carry on doing what you are doing, he will naturally develop both I am sure.

Fraggle1
20-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your replies :) You've made me feel much better. I will contact the LEA aswell for info, thanks x

tulip0803
20-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I live in Wales and many children are bilingual including my own. When children are learning to talk they will muddle the languages and mix them up - this is very clever and shows true bilingualism as they understand that words in both languages mean the same thing. Sometimes they cannot find the word they want in the language they are using so they substitute with the word from the other language.They do sort it out quite quickly.

It is normal. Once they get a grip on both languages they will be able to switch between the two without thinking. Reassure the Mum, tell her to keep speaking to him in Polish and he will sort it out quite soon.

Simona
20-10-2013, 04:16 PM
This will give useful info but you are doing fine and yes he will switch from one to the other or answer in English when spoken in Polish' ...very normal

I still do it after years and years in this country!!!
Good luck and well done

Earlychildhood NEWS - Article Reading Center (http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=38)