PDA

View Full Version : Tictac up the nose!

SimplyLucy
16-07-2008, 05:48 AM
What a great start to the day. One of my 6.30am mindees arrived with a tictac lodged up his nose.:panic:

Mum wanted to leave him but I said she needed to take him to hospital, we spent 10 minutes trying to get him to blow his nose, he's 4 and a half but can't blow his nose so it wasn't working.

He just kept sniffing and the mint was making his eyes water and nose run.:(

She even asked if I had a pair of tweezers to which I lied and said I didn't, I thought it was just too dangerous to go poking around, plus I didn't want my nice eyebrow tweezers stuck up my mindees snotty nose! :blush:

She's on her way to the hospital with him now. :phew:

christine e
16-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Bet he/she doesn't do that again!

Cx

crazybones
16-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Unbelievable. I know you have first aid but what was she thinking. Hope he is ok. How long had the tictac been up there? Was he eating tictacs at 6 am?

SimplyLucy
16-07-2008, 06:11 AM
The tictac had been there for about 5 minutes.

His sisters told me that they were early so they parked around the corner and mum gave them all a tictac to keep them quiet.

Am I that much of an grump when my mindees turn up early I wonder!?!:blush:

foxy lady
16-07-2008, 06:35 AM
ha ha what a silly boy
im sure they will get it out bet they get loads of stuff like that at the hospital

angeldelight
16-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Same sort of thing happened to my son - we took him to hospital and they blew down his ear and out it popped haha

Wonder what makes kids do this

Cant believe the parent was just going to leave him with you - some parents !

Hope they sort it keep us posted

Angel xx

sarah32
16-07-2008, 06:55 AM
2 year old mindee came to me a couple of weeks ago with a raisin stuck up her nose, luckily it came out when I wiped her nose, no one knew it was there and how long.:laughing:

miffy
16-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Similar thing happened with one of my mindees - he put a small pebble in his ear.

It meant two trips to the hospital because they couldn't get it out first time - needed anaesthetic to get it! He was just two and always putting things in his ear or up his nose!

Hope the little lad is OK - mum won't do that again!

Miffy xx

Tatia
16-07-2008, 07:06 AM
:laughing: :laughing:

We were at A&E a few months ago with DD for exactly the same reason, tictac and all!! By the time we were seen, it had either dislodged or dissolved. It was too small to pose a choking hazard really and they were more worried about possible infection if it had lodged in a sinus cavity somewhere. NO TWEEZERS!! Oh my lord, what was she thinking?

Anyway, hope everything comes out alright (haha, sorry, bad joke).:D

SimplyLucy
16-07-2008, 08:34 AM
All sorted, tictac has been remove and mindee returned!

I remember my sister doing the exact same thing with a tictac when she was little!

I guess they are just the right shape and size!

My friends daughter put a load of rabbit droppings up her nose last summer, she didn't realise until they started swelling cause they got moist then the ammonia came out of them and caused lots of pain. We laugh about it now but it was quite nasty at the time. The doctor at the hospital had to excuse himself cause he got the giggles!

angeldelight
16-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Glad it got sorted hope the little one is ok

That sounds horrible with the rabbit droppings but yes it is funny - the things kids do ha

Angel xx

katickles
16-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Glad the lo is all sorted now.

Again - some parents leave you woundering though don't they!?!

Cazz
16-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Glad the little one is okay!

Apparently when I was little I put a salted peanut up my nose on CHRISTMAS DAY (!) just as lunch was almost cooked :laughing: Mum & Dad tried pepper etc but it didn't work so I had a trip to A & E and everyone got their Christmas Lunch very late! I can't remember causing such an exciting Christmas day mind you!

They should have tried lathered soap because it makes me sneeze everytime I get it up my nose!

Carole x

tulip0803
16-07-2008, 12:13 PM
My DD came back from her childminders with a bead up her nose. My minder was horrified as she had told her daughter not to get the beads out when the littlees were there. She did it at our house a few week later again:eek:

louise
16-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I cant believe she was going to leave him.

When my sister was staying at my Nans she had two teeth missing either side of one tooth and managed to get a bead stuck on the tooth. Nan had to take her to the dentist.

Heaven Scent
16-07-2008, 08:59 PM
My DD did it with a dried pea when she was at nursery - trouble was nowone noticed and she always had a really horrible bogie filled nose and so teacher probably thought that she had just got a dirty nose and to say this particular person was far up herself was putting it mildly - she hated dealing with things like dirty noses etc - so just didn't. anyway I didn't notice till I was putting her to bed and was giving her a good auld clean and out of the blue she said to me I haven't got a pea up my nose - it didn't sound like that mind as she had speech problems due to having hearing problems as a result of being bunged up all the time, so it took a couple of minutes for it to register with me - I was really lucky that despite the pea swelling a little due to the moisture in her nazal cavity I managed to prize the thing out by closing the other nostrel and getting her to blow downwards while I gently worked it downwards - I could just see us all on a family trip to A&E I think that made me more determined to get it out.

Rach30
16-07-2008, 09:28 PM
My DD had a habit of twiddling little bits of paper into tiny balls when she was about 2. One day (my sons birthday as it turned out) she was doing the twiddly thing and then said one had gone up her nose . So i went into panic mode which then made her panic so she said she was only joking. I wasn't sure wich was true , that she had or hadn't , but i couldn't see anything so just left it. Two weeks later everytime i go close to her to give her a kiss i noticed there was a funny smell around her. It was then i put 2 and 2 together and took her to the docs who managed to remove a little ball of birthday paper !!!! it had started to get infected hence the smell ! How embarrased was i at dismissing it :blush: :D

Rubybubbles
16-07-2008, 10:02 PM
:eek: blurgh to everything you have all put

and omg to the parent wanting to leave the child????? crazy

theoldwoman
16-07-2008, 11:32 PM
I know its the other end but I once changed a mindee and found a small pool ball IN (if you know what I mean) her nappy!! When I showed her mum she recognised as from one of the mindees brothers games!!

Sue

crazybones
17-07-2008, 05:54 AM
I remember lying on the couch with a perforated ear drum just as it was about to burst (the pain of that was worse that 3 caesarians and a 17 hour labour put together) when Ciaran aged 2 at the time came and told me he had unscrewed the stairgate and swallowed the bolt! Well that was eventually what I worked it out to be! I phoned NHS direct (didnt know whether to tell them about him or me :laughing: ) and they said it would work its way out. It did a few days later in the potty - a very weird green colour and hubby sterilised it and put it back on the gate :eek:

Rubybubbles
17-07-2008, 06:41 AM
I remember lying on the couch with a perforated ear drum just as it was about to burst (the pain of that was worse that 3 caesarians and a 17 hour labour put together) when Ciaran aged 2 at the time came and told me he had unscrewed the stairgate and swallowed the bolt! Well that was eventually what I worked it out to be! I phoned NHS direct (didnt know whether to tell them about him or me :laughing: ) and they said it would work its way out. It did a few days later in the potty - a very weird green colour and hubby sterilised it and put it back on the gate :eek:

thats got to be the worst one :eeeek:

emmadines
17-07-2008, 07:35 AM
my lil girl put a pea from her dinner up her nose I didnt even see her doing it!!! (and we all sit up the table)

we noticed her sounding all stuffed up and thought she was getting a cold. It wasnt till I put her in the bath that I noticed the pes. I know this is going to sound disgusting, but I was doing a bogie check lol and was gonna try to tease it out with a bit of tissue.

I had to look twice when I realised it was a pea, lucky when I ran my finger down that side of her nose it flew out like a little bullet:blush: (my cookings not that bad)

I was soooo shocked as my son (6) never did anything like that, maybe she was saving it for a mid-night snack:laughing: