PDA

View Full Version : Toilet training

tori4
17-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Hi I am after some advice - so this has gotta be my number 7 child to toilet train so not to much of a shock to the system .

I had my reservations as only turn 2 in August and a very big drinker and heavy wetter - can be wet through trousers by 9am ( in a nappy) LO is dropped off at 9am so not 100% sure how long has been in nappy.

mum kept mentioning toilet training ... ie Brought LO in nappy but asked me to put in pants in day and go home in nappy - one set of pants that is !!

I politely told mum if we are going to do it we do it ... No nappy at all ... Still had by reservations ..

Low and behold LO has made me eat my words I do a 20 min toilet trip and so far 1st week and only one accident ( in my care ) .

BUT here is where the problems start i am taking LO every 20 mins or so, gr8 LO does a wee
( huge fill the potty wee) BUT

I have to help with pants/trousers etc otherwise he just goes to sits down ( mum says same at home goes towards potty and stands in trousers and wee's)

And there is no communication .... We are only just putting 2 words together stage and v much in the

Do u need a wee? yes
Do u want to go to the moon ? Yes
Am I the best CM ever ? Yes

Stage of answering ...

So LO has the control to hold ... But no way of communicating the need to go - we use signs but not successfully enough for quick toilet training -

Any thoughts ??

Plus mum is just doing the if we catch a wee gr 8 if not never mind - but u have been 'naughty ' ;-0 ! Method I tried to model a better use of language but she just kept saying he was 'naughty' ...

Arrrgh this is so hard when 2 people have 2 diff ways .....

Pls help xT

amylouise867
17-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Hi I am after some advice - so this has gotta be my number 7 child to toilet train so not to much of a shock to the system . I had my reservations as only turn 2 in August and a very big drinker and heavy wetter - can be wet through trousers by 9am ( in a nappy) LO is dropped off at 9am so not 100% sure how long has been in nappy. mum kept mentioning toilet training ... ie Brought LO in nappy but asked me to put in pants in day and go home in nappy - one set of pants that is !! I politely told mum if we are going to do it we do it ... No nappy at all ... Still had by reservations .. Low and behold LO has made me eat my words I do a 20 min toilet trip and so far 1st week and only one accident ( in my care ) . BUT here is where the problems start i am taking LO every 20 mins or so, gr8 LO does a wee ( huge fill the potty wee) BUT I have to help with pants/trousers etc otherwise he just goes to sits down ( mum says same at home goes towards potty and stands in trousers and wee's) And there is no communication .... We are only just putting 2 words together stage and v much in the Do u need a wee? yes Do u want to go to the moon ? Yes Am I the best CM ever ? Yes Stage of answering ... So LO has the control to hold ... But no way of communicating the need to go - we use signs but not successfully enough for quick toilet training - Any thoughts ?? Plus mum is just doing the if we catch a wee gr 8 if not never mind - but u have been 'naughty ' ;-0 ! Method I tried to model a better use of language but she just kept saying he was 'naughty' ... Arrrgh this is so hard when 2 people have 2 diff ways ..... Pls help xT

How about using a communication card/poster where little one could either point to the poster/picture or pick up the card and bring it to you to indicate he needs it?

You could maybe Velcro the poster so he can peel it off and bring it to you if you are in a different room?

Maybe if you demonstrate by getting into the habit of when you ask him you take off the photo and take it to the toilet/potty with you while he goes and then encourage him to put it back when you are all done.

I've used this a few times and it does work and the children enjoy using the system too.

Hope all works out :)

Amy :) xxx

cathtee
18-10-2013, 12:46 PM
How about using a communication card/poster where little one could either point to the poster/picture or pick up the card and bring it to you to indicate he needs it?

You could maybe Velcro the poster so he can peel it off and bring it to you if you are in a different room?

Maybe if you demonstrate by getting into the habit of when you ask him you take off the photo and take it to the toilet/potty with you while he goes and then encourage him to put it back when you are all done.

I've used this a few times and it does work and the children enjoy using the system too.

Hope all works out :)

Amy :) xxx

This is Fab, I have lo 22m who mom insists is ready for potty training after them doing it for 1 day at weekend but doesn't tell me if
she needs to use the potty, I think I may try this and see if she will adapt to it, Thanks

Cinnamon Sugar
18-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Plus mum is just doing the if we catch a wee gr 8 if not never mind

This made me smile, this is a phrase I have used before as if the child is not ready and you are just wheeking them off to the potty every 20 mins you really are just catching wees ;-)

Oh dear, the joys xxx

jillplum
18-10-2013, 01:10 PM
If you have to take the child to the toilet then the child is not potty trained You are lol. Seriously tho if they cant pull pants up and down and indicate in some way that they nned a wee then its just the adult doing the training not the child. Try the picture or sign method for a week and if they still cant indicate they need to go then I would go back to nappies until they are ready.

charlottenash
18-10-2013, 01:14 PM
I'd want the child to be potty trained at home first before starting here.

carol cameron
18-10-2013, 01:21 PM
I must admit that I feel it's the adult who is making it possible by toileting the child so often. I was always taught that we look for signs that the child is ready and this little one doesn't really sound like he is.
Best of luck anyway. child may well surprise you yet......

AliceK
18-10-2013, 01:26 PM
If you have to take the child to the toilet then the child is not potty trained You are lol. Seriously tho if they cant pull pants up and down and indicate in some way that they nned a wee then its just the adult doing the training not the child. Try the picture or sign method for a week and if they still cant indicate they need to go then I would go back to nappies until they are ready.

I agree with this. Taking a child to the potty every 20 mins does not mean the child is potty trained. I refuse to do this because it is not possible when I can have upto 6 other children here and have jobs to do, meals to cook etc.

xxx

Nicola Carlyle
18-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I tried potty training my daughter 5 months ago as she was showing signs. Anyway to cut a long story short I refused to take her every 15/20 minutes and she just wasn't ready. Fast forward 5 months and its completely different. Last weekend we tried again. She had 50/50 accidents on the first day, 4 dry days in a row and she even did 4 poos on the potty on Wednesday. Bad news is she now had virus and runny poo and this has set her back a little but she's doing great. Pulls own pants and trousers down, empties potty and washes hands! She doesn't like people in the toilet with her which us fine but sometimes I need to be. She is 2.5 years old. I felt immense pressure from everyone first time round then got so annoyed with myself for not listening my self. I'm glad input the nappies back on. There is nothing wrong with it. I'd say your little one just isnt ready yet.

tori4
18-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone - I just felt I was being soft/ lazy

Gosh this LO can wee for Britain we have literally gone every 15/20 and he has filled the potty I'm not sure where he is storing it ;-)

I have introduced the makaton sign for toilet which he repeats and does when I do as I am taking him. but still no sign of acknowledgement or attempt to pull pants up or down.

Lets see what next week brings xT