PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling holiday

greanan
17-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Sibling mindees are booked off on holiday tomorrow but mum has just text to ask if I can have them instead as they are now not going away. I've one other mindee tomorrow and we've made plans - I'm taking him to a wee preschool football club then going swimming. Am I wrong to say I can't take them even though they're normally there but we've made other arrangements?!

clareelizabeth1
17-10-2013, 07:33 PM
If they were going to pay a retainer then you should take them as they were paying for a space to be there if they needed it.

If they have not paid anything then you could say no.

greanan
17-10-2013, 07:35 PM
If they were going to pay a retainer then you should take them as they were paying for a space to be there if they needed it. If they have not paid anything then you could say no.

They pay half for their holidays. Just feel its so late to be changing plans now??

Tina O
17-10-2013, 07:39 PM
If they pay for the holidays they are paying to 'keep' the space and I feel that you can't really say no as it's a contracted day for you. If you do say no you should refund them their retainer fee at the very least.

greanan
17-10-2013, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE="Tina O;1311514"]If they pay for the holidays they are paying to 'keep' the space and I feel that you can't really say no as it's a contracted day for you. If you do say no you should refund them their retainer fee at the very least.[/QUOTE

Thank you - I do feel bad saying no but think the night before is a bit late to try and change it - prob not very professional I know!

loocyloo
17-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I would say that I am very sorry, but you have now made plans that can't be changed without upsetting other minded children. it IS very late notice. what would have happened if you didn't get the text?

it maybe that you refund the days fees.

Tazmin68
17-10-2013, 07:49 PM
As half fee and less than 24 hours notice i would say no.
I don't charge a retainer fee my children are either term time only, all year or school holidays only and should a term time child want care in holidays it is a case of booking a place asap until no more space. It is parents choice to either pay for all year or term time only

Tina O
17-10-2013, 07:49 PM
It's difficult I know, but just think it's all 'swings and roundabouts' good times and bad, and sometimes we may get a cheeky early finish we didn't expect..

greanan
17-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone just needed someone to say it was okay to tell them no. Lol!! I've not yet replied but I think I'll say no as already made plans. They are only contracted to four weeks holiday at half fees but they seem to take so much more and I still just charge half so not like they're paying retainer for school hols etc. should I be refunding the days fees at half or not as it's such late notice?

Rubybubbles
17-10-2013, 08:32 PM
removed

:(

Tina O
17-10-2013, 08:35 PM
If you are normally contracted for the day and you are not going to offer a childminding service, for whatever reason, I think it would be unprofessional to charge the parents anything for the day.

bunnyjess
17-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I would pretend I didn't get the txt lol! Only joking. Just say no

greanan
17-10-2013, 08:41 PM
I would pretend I didn't get the txt lol! Only joking. Just say no

Is it bad that I actually thought that?!! Lol!!

vals
18-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Is it bad that I actually thought that?!! Lol!!

I sometimes wish i had a separate work phone that I could turn off at 6.pm and not turn on until the morning. My worst time is sunday evenings when I start getting texts to change things for the next day. I have had to get stricter with some to stop this happenning - ie. become less flexible. but there have been a couple of very late night texts that I have ignored when the request has been simply taking the p......
Recent one was a text to 'tell' me what I was doing that week, including a day I don't have the child - I replied sorry I am full on that day, the reply came 'can't you just squeeze him in'!!