PDA

View Full Version : Continuity /sibling/ sorry!

littlemiss60561
17-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi,
I've usually been confident with my variations but am a little stumped as to what to say yes too now.
My scenario is,
3 under 5 as the norm. I have a variation for another child as required . I also have Los sibling on different days. So both children already on the books. One lo usually goes off with nan but nan is due an op and will be out of action for a couple of months.i know The rule is 6 under 8 max And I know ofsted don't like 5 under 5 but I can't see where it states that? Can I say yes as both continuity and siblings too? It is only to cover the emergency care and for a couple of hours between nursery drop off. 3 of the Los will be due their sleep and all children well behaved and easily managed etc etc.
previously I've had 5 under to cover a late collection ( all 3-4 year olds) after my Do said it was allowed as continuity. Now I've read that they are getting it wrong and giving wrong advice ( my do did say even they were struggling with the rules sometimes)
I know I can cope as I know the children inside out .I've done fire drills etc with 5 and risk assessed appropriately . I'm not going to risk my career, and ofsted don't want to help so thought I'd make you all groan and ask here lol

Also, the sibling baby rule... I've been asked to have an older brother (4yr ) of a current 2 yr old mindie as a one off. Can it work the other way round ? Seems unfair if not as I'd rather have an older one as extra than younger lol but the rules obv state babies..
TIA x

sarah707
17-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Ofsted don't like it because inspectors are saying that we cannot support learning and development appropriately for all the children - they cite an occasion when older children are getting silly while the cm is doing baby's bottle ... an occasion where the cm was trying to work with older children and toddler was disturbing their learning .. things like that.

It is a very subjective decision - but something you have to be aware of if you are thinking about pushing your ratio to 5.

Hope this helps :D

littlemiss60561
17-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Ok thankyou sarah. It will literally be for a short time in the day. Ofsted would say the same here sometimes if she saw 2 of my Los messing about while I fed the baby!! X