PDA

View Full Version : What do you have in your first aid kit?

Mouse
17-10-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm just updating mine and realise it has very little in it - various bandages & not much else!

Is there a list of what we should have?

AliceK
17-10-2013, 08:56 AM
I have a long list in the back of the first aid book I was given at my training

Alcohol free cleansing wipes
Plasters (various sizes)
Bandage dressings (various sizes)
Eye pads
Sterile finger dressings
Crepe bandages
Conforming bandage
Hot / Cold reusable pack
Instant Ice packs
Sterile Burn Dressing
Hypoallergenic Tape
Low adherent dressings
Sterile Eye wash pods
Gloves

Does this help?

xxx

Mouse
17-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Thank you. It's good to have a reminder.

I have 2 first aid boxes - a family one & a childminding one. Unfortunately my family has a habit of pinching bits from my childminding one :rolleyes:

Between the 2 boxes I have found a lot of things, but need to get some tape & dressings.

rickysmiths
17-10-2013, 09:55 AM
pair of round ended scissors

A triangular bandage

a resus mask

I don't bother with the sterile water pods because they are expensive and have a short life. We were told to use tap water to clean a wound and bottled water if we were out.

I would never apply any liquid to an eye I would call a para medic if I had a problem with an eye.

Simona
17-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Unless things have changed it is recommended we have whatever the 'approved' trainer suggest.
They usually give handouts with a list of approved items...has anyone done a training recently and found this is the case?

tulip0803
17-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Unless things have changed it is recommended we have whatever the 'approved' trainer suggest.
They usually give handouts with a list of approved items...has anyone done a training recently and found this is the case?

In April on our Paediatric First Aid we were told they had to comply with BS-8599 (30/7/11) - From the list we were given a small box should have:-

First Aid Booklet
4 x Medium Dressing
1 x Large Dressing
2 x Triangular Bandage
2 x Finger Dressing
1 x Conforming Bandage
6 x Safety Pins
2 x Eye Pad
40 x Washproof Low Allergy Plasters Assorted
20 x Sterile Cleansing Wipes
1 x Microporous Tape
6 x Nitrile Powder Free Gloves
1 x Resus sheild
1 x foil blanket
1 x Burnshield® Dressing- 10 x 10cm
1 x blunt scissors

Apparantly they have finally realised that plasters are the most used things in a first aid box:rolleyes: and you need more than one pair of gloves. They have added the foil blanket and the burnshield dressing. I also have one use ice pack thingies in mine - recommended by trainer but not on BS8599 list.

Again we were told not to bother with water pods

QualityCare
17-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Bandages have to be replaced as soon as they are out of date as they are no longer sterile.

cathtee
17-10-2013, 12:54 PM
I''ve just done my refresher first aid and they were selling kits but didn't get one got home looked at mine and it was really poor, so I bought a paediatric kit off amazon for cheaper than course and the same stuff in it, has all fhta Tulip mentioned

tulip0803
17-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I''ve just done my refresher first aid and they were selling kits but didn't get one got home looked at mine and it was really poor, so I bought a paediatric kit off amazon for cheaper than course and the same stuff in it, has all fhta Tulip mentioned

Yup I get mine off ebay:D

jackie 7
17-10-2013, 02:08 PM
I have sterile tears for contact lenses to wash sand our of eyes. Also got bigger ones from chemist. Not expensive mother in park very impressed when I used it when boy threw sand in his own eyes.

Mouse
17-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I've ordered 2 different ones from Hope Education. Only £6 +Vat each, so I'll see what's in them when they get here tomorrow :thumbsup:

AliceK
17-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I have sterile tears for contact lenses to wash sand our of eyes. Also got bigger ones from chemist. Not expensive mother in park very impressed when I used it when boy threw sand in his own eyes.

Yes they are very useful for contact lenses. I remember when I had a lense break in my eye. Very useful.

xxxx

yummyripples
17-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Do any of you carry calpol with you? Only asking because am out with kids and one of them is unwell. Dad can't pick her up and I feel bad not having calpol.