PDA

View Full Version : Sharing

Tinkerbell1979
17-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Hi,

Can anyone give me ideas on how to help a 20m old with sharing and wanting toys others have?

I've never had a child like it so completely baffled as to what to do because my usual things I do clearly do not work for her.

Basically she will be happily playing with her chosen toy but as soon as someone picks up anything else in the room she screams this annoying screech and grabs it pulling it, she's shown no interest until a child picks it up...,..I won't lie it's ANNOYING and I have no idea what to do to get her to understand.

Help !

Rolacolapink
17-10-2013, 09:49 AM
How about using a timer that bleeps after the set time limit? I got a digital one off eBay for £2 delivered for this purpose :-)

dominiquegait
17-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I agree taking turns works for me. I use the timer on my phone 1 minute less than the age of the child works for me.

FussyElmo
17-10-2013, 11:14 AM
But its not sharing if the 20month is demanding the toys that the other children are playing with. Its not even taking turns.

I would be telling her that she can have the tou once the child in question has finished with it but I wouldn't make the child give it to her after a certain time :D

jackie 7
17-10-2013, 12:29 PM
I have had this. If the boy had used the toy 5 hours enforce he would get so cross and try to snatch the toy back. I spent so long every day saying no you were not playing with it they are. When they have finished you can play with it. It is a control thing not sharing etc. keep at it.

Sarsar3NCH
17-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I think this is very common at this age, it certainly is in my setting! I have 3 of that age at various times during the week 2 or the are like you have described its so frustrating but I would agree in not making the other children give the toy up or you could be making it a much longer process. I'm not sure a 20 month old can understand the concept of sharing

JCrakers
17-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Just stick with it. There's nothing better than consistency :thumbsup:

Get down to her level, face to face 'No we don't take that from xxx, he was playing with it, lets look at finding something else' :D

Tinkerbell1979
17-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone, when I typed it I thought we really its not a sharing issue, couldn't think what to call it.

I've just been doing as is said and saying no, xx is playing with it. Guess ill stick at it. Might be common for others but never had this issue before not even with my own kids (3 kids)!!!!

Thanks again

k-tots
17-10-2013, 02:50 PM
My 14m lg does that takes toys of others.....I try and distract her by taking her away and find another toy....then once the other child/children have finished playing with that item......they go and see if she wants it.....x