PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice please, parent cancelled day off at last min!

Rickers83
16-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi

I'm contracted to have a schoolie before & after school on a Thursday. However mum told me on Monday she was taking the day off & I have subsequently made other arrangements as my children are off school. This includes a new starter meeting at 3pm when I would usually be doing the school run. Mum has just text to say she is now going to work so can I have lo tomorrow.
This makes things quite hard for me as I have other commitments now. But where do I stand as it is normally a contracted day?

blue bear
16-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Does she want you to have lo all day or just for contracted hours.
Unless you have covered this scenario in contracts or policies (I suggest you implement one after this, once booked cannot be cancelled without x hours notice) you are I think obliged to offer the hours as per contract.

I would either offer total of hours at a more convenient time for you (middle of day say) or say you can't do the school time hours but are happy to do the before and after school time as usual.

Rickers83
16-10-2013, 06:30 PM
It's just before & after school as normal as her lo's teacher is not striking. But I have a meeting booked for 3pm when I would be leaving for the school run

rickysmiths
16-10-2013, 06:33 PM
I would say sorry I can't do it now. You booked the day off and I have made other arrangements on the basis of that. A text out of hours with a radical change like that is unreasonable. What id you had been out at a training and had the phone on silent and hadn't picked up the message until you got home after 10pm What would you have done then?

I think under the circumstances at least she could have tried to ring and speak to you. I hate conducting business by text.

sing-low
16-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Do you have it in writing that Mum was taking the day off? If so, then I would argue that this forms part of the contract so you are not obliged to change again. Mum should have checked with you before she decided to go to work.

Rickers83
16-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Do you have it in writing that Mum was taking the day off? If so, then I would argue that this forms part of the contract so you are not obliged to change again. Mum should have checked with you before she decided to go to work.

Mum never does anything in writing, turned up at my door one morning at 7am on a non contracted day and said she thought she'd text me! Luckily I was up and ready anyway.... Am thinking I should start insisting on EVERYTHING in writing!
Oh hang on phones just binged.....
Hahaha
Her partner has the day off tomorrow she didn't realise so doesn't need me anyway....

Lay in it is then ;0)

sing-low
16-10-2013, 07:19 PM
All's well that ends well (I had a similar scenario today - would have made a very funny sliding doors type comedy). Maybe this is your chance to write to this Mum and reinforce your terms and conditions re changes to the contract. State that unless you have something in writing, signed by you both, then no changes can be made. Texts do not count. And then follow through with it. Every time she asks for a change, say "I have to have it in writing". If you have to, write it down for her and get her to sign it there and then. Good luck and enjoy your lie-in!