PDA

View Full Version : Advice please sick child

KatieFS
16-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi all.

One if my little ones age 2 very emotional yesterday afternoon. Wouldn't stop crying by 4pm. Text from mum this morning..little one 'inconsolable' last night, so they took her to a and e. got home 3am! Off today 'sick' as got viral infection and throat infection.
Just got txt saying can she come tomorrow. Can I give her medicine? Dont mind giving medicine once forms signed...My concern is I have other children here tomorrow and she will need to come out on school run in morning and afternoon. I just think its a bit soon if she has been so bad they went to a and e.
What do you think???

emma04
16-10-2013, 11:37 AM
My policy states 24hrs worth of medicine must have been given for uti's/ear infection or other non infectious illness or 48hrs worth for a throat infection (very infectious!!)
I also strongly remind parents that if their child is not well enough to participate in my daily routines, they should keep their child at home and that if they do bring them, then I will call to collect if and as soon as, their child appears unable to cope.

Hope this helps x

Lottie
16-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Has the child been prescribed antibiotics? I would say if the child has been unwell enough to warrant a visit to a&e and is on antibiotics, then 48 hours.

KatieFS
16-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes that's my thoughts lottie, if she has been so bad needs to go to a and e going back after one day bit soon.
I have said no as feel infectious disease would put me and other children at risk. The lo doesn't cope well with lack of sleep and really don't think she will cope well with return to routines, school run. Also feel its quite soon for mum to say she has made recovery after just a few hours at home.
It's very hard isn't it as know it puts them under pressure and I feel terribly guilty but feel its in her best interests to stay home

KatieFS
16-10-2013, 12:14 PM
And going to update my sickness policy with that information too Emma! Thanks

little chickee
16-10-2013, 02:05 PM
I too would say no. Chils will more than likely still be feeling ill and unbable to cope with daily routine.

I had one of my parents phone last week to say mindee was a bit unwell, she had given him calpol and could i still have him. I said no as i felt that if he was unwell enough to need calpol to get thriugh the day he was too poorly to attend.

she was totally fine with it .. saw her a few days later ( only have child 1 day a week ) and she said he had gone down hill rapidly that day and she had ended up at doctors etc so i was glad i had said no although i felt guilty about it.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Parent can go to a&e out of hours here.

As long as the child can keep up with the day then yes - if not say no

KatieFS
16-10-2013, 09:18 PM
The guilt I feel! Mum was ok about it. First time ive 'excluded' a child but feel its the right decision for the child. She is a sweetheart but really doesn't cope well with lack of sleep and dread to think how she'll cope with school runs if she is poorly and tired

KatieFS
19-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi guys! Said child been to walk in today with slapped cheek. She has a rash. What advice should I give? Is she contagious? She is due back Tuesday. No experience of this do not sure what to advice...

moggy
19-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Hi guys! Said child been to walk in today with slapped cheek. She has a rash. What advice should I give? Is she contagious? She is due back Tuesday. No experience of this do not sure what to advice...

HPA says Slapped Cheek (parvovirus B19)- no exclusion time, avoid contact with pregnant women as possible risk to unborn child. See HPA for more info:

HPA - Parvovirus - General Information (http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/ParvovirusB19/GeneralInformation/#Outbreaks)

"Outbreaks in the home, school and the workplace

When outbreaks of parvovirus B19 infection occur in environments where close contact occurs (e.g. at home or in day care centres), options for preventing transmission are limited. This is because the greatest risk of transmission occurs before the rash appears. Identification and exclusion of those with symptoms cannot therefore prevent spread in parvovirus B19 outbreaks. The efficacy of decontaminating toys and environmental surfaces has not been studied. In the USA, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have recommended hand washing as a simple procedure that may reduce the risk of transmission."

KatieFS
19-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Thank you!

clairer
25-10-2013, 10:02 PM
My policy states if a child is ill enough to be on antibiotics the child should remain at home until the course is completed. Says I who has a throat infection caught from a child brought in to me with a temperature (who I then had to send home) which means I am now at home on unpaid leave. Grr. :mad:

smurfette
25-10-2013, 11:13 PM
My policy states if a child is ill enough to be on antibiotics the child should remain at home until the course is completed. Says I who has a throat infection caught from a child brought in to me with a temperature (who I then had to send home) which means I am now at home on unpaid leave. Grr. :mad:

I think the problem with this is that parents might not take child to doctor in Case he gives antibiotic and you won't have him., is that why you have a throat infection? Just my sis in law uses a nursery and I have heard them saying they don't take kids to doctor Til Friday pm as the nursery won't have them for 24 hours and they still sent him in sick! Just a thought! Hope you feel better soon it's awful when you catch something despite your best efforts and have no money :(

emma04
26-10-2013, 07:30 AM
I think the problem with this is that parents might not take child to doctor in Case he gives antibiotic and you won't have him., is that why you have a throat infection? Just my sis in law uses a nursery and I have heard them saying they don't take kids to doctor Til Friday pm as the nursery won't have them for 24 hours and they still sent him in sick! Just a thought! Hope you feel better soon it's awful when you catch something despite your best efforts and have no money :(

Can't actually believe that any parent would allow their precious child to suffer for a week with a throat infection an no treatment JUST so that they could continue sending them to a setting!!
Callous, cruel and downright dangerous in my opinion and I would feel so tempted to report them!!!

A 7yr old girl died recently (I'm my area) from a throat infection that got so bad, her airway became blocked (known as a Quinsey*) child was ill for only a few days beforehand.
I don't know the full story and there is no suggestion her parents refrained from taking her to the doctors.
However, this highlights the importance of seeking medical advice promptly when young children are ill or get worse over a few days.

What is this world coming to!!