PDA

View Full Version : What am i doing wrong?

Zoomie
16-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I have up to 2 vacancies 2x a week and another vacancy for a different two days (or 1 child for 4 days and a second child for 2 days) and I am just not having any luck. I email tonnes of parents on childcare.co.uk and half the time they don't even read the emails. Someone was asking on our local for fb sale pages and as soon as I told her my fee (lowest for ft space) she just went quiet. Last parent I managed to get around for a visit wanted TTO and I said 50% retainer, and she was the only parent I have managed to get to visit in the last 4 months.

starlight1
16-10-2013, 11:18 AM
maybe put flyers up outside preschools, I had some in lesuire centre...Get yourself about where you can be seen as a childmindder.

Zoomie
17-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I am out and about. Going to some form of group every weekday and will start alternating with other groups to get a broader audience. Have sign up in local shop and children centre. Going to order a car sign tomorrow. Of the 6 parents I've messaged on childcare.co.uk only two have looked at their message. Details on FIS too.

Koala
17-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Stay strong, business comes and goes, it's a really tricky business to make a living from. Keep advertising.

sing-low
17-10-2013, 06:33 PM
I have up to 2 vacancies 2x a week and another vacancy for a different two days (or 1 child for 4 days and a second child for 2 days) and I am just not having any luck. I email tonnes of parents on childcare.co.uk and half the time they don't even read the emails. Someone was asking on our local for fb sale pages and as soon as I told her my fee (lowest for ft space) she just went quiet. Last parent I managed to get around for a visit wanted TTO and I said 50% retainer, and she was the only parent I have managed to get to visit in the last 4 months.

Could you contact the parent and say you are willing to negotiate the retainer?

tas
17-10-2013, 09:44 PM
I know exactly how you feel

I am in the same situation, after being full for the last few years I have recently lost children to school and preschool. I’ve only had one enquiry in the last 3+ months that left an answer phone message for me to return the call, but they didn’t leave me a contact number!

bunyip
18-10-2013, 07:34 AM
I know what you mean about parents not even bothering to read the messages. I come over all "grumpy OG" (as one member quite rightly described me once :laughing:) when it comes to modern manners. Some people think the common courtesy of a reply is not a requirement when communicating via the tinternet.

I'm learning to manage my expectations, which are now very different from when I started out. For one thing, I have never had a single full-time child here, and am getting used to the idea of having to juggle lots of part-timers.

No offence, but I know plenty of CMs around here who'd be glad to have as few vacancies as you have.

Doubt if we'll ever get the point where people pay a sensible fee for the care of their precious lo's. "Hey, mum - so you reckon 1/2 the minimum wage is a fair price for the care of your child? Never mind the unpaid hours for planning/training/record-keeping, I'd be 3 times better off walking dogs and 10 times wealthier cutting hair." Nice to know where people's priorities lay these days. :mad:

Might the TTO mum accept a higher rate rather than paying a holiday retainer? Sometimes people will do that, as they struggle with the "principle" of paying when the child doesn't attend - they just don't get the notion that they're paying for the place, not the actual attendance. Otherwise, it's the cold, hard 'business-sense' option. Take her on whilst there's little else on offer, but continue to advertise and be prepared to give notice or renegotiate when something better comes along. Tricky...:(

Hope things come together for you soon. :group hug:

karen m
18-10-2013, 01:45 PM
I have never charged a TT retainer but I also offer holiday care only , could this not be a option for you. I also like the idea the idea of having different children . I have been mainly full for last 6 years except when I took 6 months off

k1rstie
18-10-2013, 09:44 PM
It has taken me ten years to get my first full timer, and she is tto! I have always juggled the part timers, and often found that they would need an extra day here and there.

Something will come along for you soon, I hope

angeldelight
18-10-2013, 11:53 PM

I know what you mean about parents not reading the messages ...I don't get it really

Just be patient and keep trying every few days on childcare.co.uk I got all my work from there ...for every ten that ignores you one will contact you ...be patient

Your not doing anything wrong

It's just rude people

Good luck

Angel xx