PDA

View Full Version : Not getting on !

Topkad84
16-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Oh god I'm so fed up I feel like jackin it all in.
I have been childminding for over a year now and have loved every bit of it but since September everything has changed.
One child went to school, one child's parent is on maternity leave and one parent has change her hours of work so I now have her 2 before and after school when before it was just for half terms.
It's these two I'm have difficulty with. The 9 year old and another mindee aged 6 get along really well but the trouble is when another two I have for 30 minutes before school come along these two wont included them in anything they are playing and our now getting very nasty and saying horrible things about the other two boys. I have explained to them today that is unexceptible and we all must try to get along. Then I hear the 6 behind my back saying we will just pretend but when she not looking we just ignore them. It's only for 20 minutes they have to get along! What to do?

Then the other child (3) is such a little madam, if you ask her to do something and she doesn't want to do it she throws herself on the floor and just stands there arms crossed and won't budge. Which is very frustrating on the school run. I have tried to talk to mum about it but she is just so soft. Completely different to when dad picks them up.

I understand is hard for these two as its a different routine to what there use to. They use to get up at 7:30 now they are being drop at mine then.

I'm just not enjoying this !
I don't think it help that I only have school runs to do at the moment as there seems to be no other children to look after ( I live in the middle of no where)

I could sit and cry ! Sorry for the rant xx

lilac_dragon
16-10-2013, 09:05 AM
With the 2 who won't include the others - not everyone in this world gets on with everyone else, we as adults have people that we don't like but out of respect, we are polite to them. It's the way of the World.

If it was me - explain that you know what they said about ignoring you and that THAT isn't acceptable either, so you've decided that the best thing to do is to sit those 2 at the table away from the others until they decide that they will respect you and your decisions.
They can read, play board games, draw, colour, but are where they can't cause problems. You said it's only for 20 minutes -not an unreasonable length of time.
Try it for a day or two and then talk to them again and say how nice it's been having no nastiness, and do they think they can come back into play and still be nice? The choice is then theirs.
The 3 year old - I step over mine if he throws himself on the floor and go and get something I know he likes and then I sit and play with it - he soon joins me. If the tantrum is because I've asked him to do something, then I ask him to go and do it before he plays with me - if he doesn't, I put it away and then repeat it after a few minutes. I take the buggy to school with me and if he starts when he's out I pick him up and strap him in.