PDA

View Full Version : how long would you give a child to settle????

mrscross
15-10-2013, 01:05 PM
New mindee started at the begining of september. They are almost 3 and has been at a different setting from being 6 months so is used to being away from home. Things were really hard the 1st 2 weeks mindee cried more or less all day for mum. That has improved and we dont even have many tears when mum leaves. My issue is that they just seem unhappy all day long. They dont play either with me/independantly or with others. They only time they do play is on tge slide at the park or if we go to a movement group (once a fortnight)

Secondaly they dont eat, they bite their food and then sit with it in their mouth until i remind them to chew.....lunch time is a very long process. I kind of feel at my wits end today and dont really know where to go from here. I dont know how i am supposed to develop this child or even observe them when they just sit and watch all day long.

I have spoken to mum whi just responds saying i get talked about at home and they think child seems settled

Sorry for long post but any advice as to where to go from here would be greatfully recieved

yummyripples
15-10-2013, 02:45 PM
New mindee started at the begining of september. They are almost 3 and has been at a different setting from being 6 months so is used to being away from home. Things were really hard the 1st 2 weeks mindee cried more or less all day for mum. That has improved and we dont even have many tears when mum leaves. My issue is that they just seem unhappy all day long. They dont play either with me/independantly or with others. They only time they do play is on tge slide at the park or if we go to a movement group (once a fortnight)

Secondaly they dont eat, they bite their food and then sit with it in their mouth until i remind them to chew.....lunch time is a very long process. I kind of feel at my wits end today and dont really know where to go from here. I dont know how i am supposed to develop this child or even observe them when they just sit and watch all day long.

I have spoken to mum whi just responds saying i get talked about at home and they think child seems settled

Sorry for long post but any advice as to where to go from here would be greatfully recieved

It's hard isn't it. I was in the same boat last year with twins. Do you have any transfer documents from previous minder or something from mum saying likes and dislikes?
If they like music and movement how about doing a music theme. If you haven't got instruments use pans and spoons. Have music playing and do lots of singing - it's catching and they may join in.
I also find baking a fantastic activity to enthuse the children.
One important thing in our job is to help the children develop to their full potential so don't give up, keep trying and eventually you will find something that ignites a spark c