PDA

View Full Version : Sibling discounts?

Rickers83
15-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Hi
Do you offer a sibling discount when you are have a toddler all day & then school age sibling all day in holidays?
And if so what are the average % discount you offer?
Thanks

AliceK
15-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Personally I don't offer any sibling discount because it doesn't cost me any less to look after a sibling rather than another child so why should I. I believe some childminders might though?

xxx

dawn100
15-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't offer sibling discounts and I don't know of any childminders who do in the area I live, might be worth finding out what others do in your local area, one thing I will say is becareful not to sell yourself short as I find siblings can be harder work than unrelated children and if you've offered a discount then you've got harder work for less money x

Koala
15-10-2013, 09:17 AM
I used to give a discount when I first started, I don't anymore - no reason why I should really, like others have said it can be harder work looking after siblings and the overheads are not any cheaper just because they are siblings, tesco and British gas doesn't give me a discount because I have more children :laughing:

teacakepenguin
15-10-2013, 09:27 AM
I do because I have spaces and am new, I charge £3.50 an hour normally and charge £3 an hour for siblings (if they are attending at the same time). So I have one set of brothers where one is at secondary school and one at primary, the younger one is here for longer and then the few hours that his brother is here I charge less for him.

Jx

karen m
15-10-2013, 09:40 AM
I have never offered a discount like others say still using my gas, electric still preparing food for them . I have in the past had 3 from same family so then you start getting asked for extra discount no sorry I charge the same per child

Mrsh3103
15-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I gave discount to my 1st family. I'm more expensive than most cm's in my area. I decided how much I thought what I offered was worth & that's what I charge.
With this family I have the little boy all day 4 days a week and the older girl for 25 minutes after school 2 days a week. During term time I don't charge for her. I'm over £1 an hour more expensive than most. during school holidays she is charged at my normal hourly rate.
I needed the business & it was either do that, reduce my hourly rate for the lo or lose the family to a cheaper minder. Works well for me.

Rickers83
15-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your replies.
I was planning On charging normal rate during term time but maybe offering the discount during the holidays when I have them both all day, it would equate to 2 hours free per day.... 6 per week as they are only here 3 days
I've done the math and its feasible, & others in my area seem to offer discounts from what I've seen.

dawn100
15-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Go with whatever you are happy with, don't sell yourself short because you are new I did that when I first started and am still paying the price now.

ziggy
15-10-2013, 11:24 AM
I havent done so in the past but am taking on 3rd child from same family in January. Increased fees for part timers in September but full timers stayed the same, so I suppose I have given discount for family of 3.

Also do daily rate now for eldest child (schoolie) whereas before I offered hourly rate, so they pay same whether she collects early or not.

I suppose we have to set our fees depending on how much we need work/money and what other minders in area charge