PDA

View Full Version : Concern about a babysitter

teacakepenguin
14-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I work part time in a shop and a lady came in today to put an advert up in the window (she's paid for the advert to be displayed) offering her services as a cleaner, to do ironing, and as a babysitter.

I am concerned as I know this lady, she comes in the shop regularly, and she's obviously got some sort of mental health issues. She often talks to herself, she's been really nice one moment then she turns and is really agressively snappy with staff, and we think she suffers from delusions. She came in one day repeatedly buying more and more fizzy drinks, she kept saying it was for her and her boyfriend. This lady is probably in her 60s and she's always on her own, as she was that day. All the ladies who work there know to keep an eye on her when she comes in and to be very wary of her, she is just someone that alarm bells ring when you are with her.

I am really quite concerned that someone might leave their child with her, as I honestly don't think she should be in charge of someone else's children. Obviously as a babysitter you don't need to have any sort of background check. I spoke to the shop owner who agreed with my concerns, but we weren't sure what to do. I wish I could have refused putting her advert up but I couldn't think of what to say to her on the spur of the moment.

I'm not sure what to do, I feel I can't do nothing, what if someone does use her as a babysitter and something goes wrong? But who should I talk to? The local police community officer?

Thanks
Jx

scottishlass
14-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Sounds like you are right to be concerned although not sure what best advice would be tbh. Could you just take her card down and pretend it's been misplaced? Sure someone will be along shortly with better advice! Xx

Mrs Scrubbit
14-10-2013, 03:29 PM
If I were you I would seek police advice , they would point you in the right direction if at this point in time they were not the approprite source to contact, as you say, what if something happens ? I would never forgive myself:panic: xx

candy cat
14-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Just take advert off board.... If she says anything say it must have fallen down ;0)

JCrakers
14-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I would seek some advice for someone, local police or someone from Early years maybe.
The problem with taking down the card is that she may have put other cards up in other shops so although that will take away the problem in the shop it wont help the overall situation.

hectors house
14-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Maybe contact local safeguarding board - she may already been known to them and they could get someone to ring her to suggest that cleaning or ironing are fine but that she maybe shouldn't be taking on babysitting. Although would you want your gran contacting her either about doing housework, if she is as strange as you say she is!

teacakepenguin
14-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Thank you for the replies, I was worrying you might think I was being really bad judging her like this but really I feel I can't not do anything. I might try the police first, if not safeguarding (they are a bit scarier!).

Jx

Ripeberry
14-10-2013, 06:03 PM
If she is as bad as you say then we should let her possible customers sort it out themselves. Most parents do have common sense. We are told not to discriminate against children with mental health issues, but then it seems that adults are fair game.

Glitter
14-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Could you let us all know what happens as I know someone like this who has been talking about doing babysitting and I don't think they are suitable (they have mental health issues). It would be useful to know who to contact if she takes it further. Thanks.

rickysmiths
14-10-2013, 08:51 PM
I would ring the Police and ask to speak to someone in the Adult Safeguarding Section. They have officers dedicated to working with safeguarding adults and children and they should be able to help you.

Maybe you could speak to the shop owner and see if they would put up a general notice advising parents who reply to ads for babysitters and childcarers that they must carry out though checks and seek references before using anyone so they safeguard their children.

teacakepenguin
14-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks, yes that's a very good idea re a notice, as the owner was as worried as I was about her.

I'll feed back what happens.
Jx

emma04
15-10-2013, 08:21 AM
If she is as bad as you say then we should let her possible customers sort it out themselves. Most parents do have common sense. We are told not to discriminate against children with mental health issues, but then it seems that adults are fair game.

I can see where you're coming from, but very often it's political correctness such as this that encourages people to turn a blind eye, leading to children being placed in danger.

Not every parent has the common sense required to check out a potential babysitter properly and how can they when anyone can be one?

I'm all for anti-discrimination and never judging a book by its cover, but where the safety of children is being questioned, I think we should all remove our "political correctness" hats and report our gut feelings quickly!

teacakepenguin
15-10-2013, 09:14 AM
I've just spoken to the local police on 101. I've just come off the phone and I'm shaking.

He was really good to talk to, understood why I was ringing. The advert doesn't have a name on it, but he did a look up on the phone number given and it gave some results, up until that point he was asking me to contact safeguarding myself but when he found they had information on the phone number he said he'd send it on himself, which was a bit worrying as it does sound like she is known to them.

Anyhow I probably won't hear anything more but at least I've done something. She might have put the advert up on behalf of a friend, you never know, but I feel pleased I've done something, scary as it was.

I need a strong cup of tea now!!
Jx

MessybutHappy
15-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Well done you! It's hard, but I think a previous poster is right in this case, and you've done right to go with your gut instinct.
Hope you are feeling better now!