PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like its getting too much

JCrakers
14-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I do love my job and have 14 kiddywinks to look after ranging from 14m-10yrs. I started minding in 2007 after being a nanny in London. I received a Good in Aug 2008 and another Good in March 2012. After really, really wanting an Outstanding and not getting it I was knocked back and lost my yearning for a while.
But about a year later started to want that Outstanding again and I've worked so hard to achieve it. But after working myself to the bone, analysing and thinking about every single thing I do, I'm starting to wear myself out. Not only is it hard enough to work a 10hr day with children, being constantly on the go all day to then finish at 6pm, make tea for my own family and try to get some family time its really taking its toll on me, my patience after work is zero and my own children and dh get the brunt of it.

Trying to constantly better myself is starting to get to me. I can't just get up in a morning and work, I have to think about what I could be doing better and sometimes I cant think of anything because everything has been thought of. I feel like I'm in a high powered job where I should be bringing in 100k, not 10k, I feel like the pressure is immense and after finishing my SEF, updating 4 LJ's and trackers, making sure my obs are up to date I feel so dragged down.

This used to be enjoyable, I love kids but now I just look at them as trackers and what's he going to do next? A simple 10 piece jigsaw turns into a observation and can she do a 12 piece next time? Snack time turns into 'maybe they should be cutting their own fruit'. I despise Ofsted and hate what they do and are doing, they are stripping out the enjoyment of looking after children and making it so difficult.
I don't know if i'm just tired or really fed up of this...... It could be the weather or it could be I had a busy weekend and I'm tired
Thanks for listening to my moans and groans. :(

hectors house
14-10-2013, 01:16 PM
You could have written that post for me, I feel exactly as you do - I am on a constant drive of self improvement but each time I am inspected the goal posts have been changed, if I applied to be on "The apprentice" on tv and put this much thought, effort and time into it, i easily would be the winner. I have 7 LJ to keep up to date, I just completed my tax form yesterday - by far the closest to the paper tax form deadline I have ever been, I haven't started any of this tax years accounts yet, I have summarative assessments to write, a 2 year development check, haven't updated my SEF, and need to visit 2 Nurseries (they make no effort to even contact me - let alone visit).

I did spend an hour yesterday looking on Job Centre website but I know that whilst I seem to hate the job at the moment that I love the children and have a great working relationship with all of the parents - I just couldn't hand in my notice to them - I need to find a happy medium and not aim for outstanding - trouble is that now that Satisfactory is "requires improvement" how do I know I will even keep my good next time?

PS: Mine did peel their own satsumas, chop their own bananas and help share out some for the little one today!

Miss freckles
14-10-2013, 01:25 PM
I've been having bad and good days for about 8 weeks now (since I took on a lot more children) as someone who has worked with children for the last 14, 15 yrs I thought this job would be a doddle and I get to be at home but actually this is the hardest I've ever worked in my life!!

Obviously I worked hard before but I was within a team we shared the workload and when Ofsted appeared it wasn't just solely down to me, and when I finished work that was it, work done home to relax with my family. I didn't have to handle all the business side in fact I knew nothing about the business side and now having the responsibility of everything is so much to take on.

I have good and bad days but there is no doubt that if there wasn't all the needs and wants of Ofsted I would be having the best time, I love working with children and couldn't think of anything else I would rather do but having to strive to be the best is def draining and a lot of hard work!

Sorry don't have any advice to make it better but just to let you know there are people who feel the same!

QualityCare
14-10-2013, 01:34 PM
"This used to be enjoyable, I love kids but now I just look at them as trackers and what's he going to do next? A simple 10 piece jigsaw turns into a observation and can she do a 12 piece next time? Snack time turns into 'maybe they should be cutting their own fruit'. I despise Ofsted and hate what they do and are doing, they are stripping out the enjoyment of looking after children and making it so difficult."

Oh how l agree with you and l am sure most parents would agree if they knew just how little natural time we get to spend with their children letting them just be children the same as they would be if they were cared for at home.

Mrs Scrubbit
14-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I know how you feel, I've been doing this job for nearly 24yrs and despite having an inspection loomimg (was due one in March) I am trying to remain laid-backed and chilled because I and 'my parents' know just how good a job I'm doing. I've met all the reqs. and feel that I also go beyond that which is needed at times, but I'm not aiming for outstanding as I don't feel that it means anything these days , as it seems that each inspector as their own interpretation on just what the word means, sooooooooooooooo I'm chilled.......................until I get the 'call':panic::panic::panic: xx

christine e
14-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Just like hectors house I too feel that I could have written your post. Think it is time to take a stand and put a stop to constantly thinking about next steps and how we are going to achieve them. I don't want my home looking like a nursery and am cutting back on the amount of stuff I have out - when Mrs O comes I will say that the children are happy and progressing, the parents are happy and that I cannot be spending all my time thinking and breathing childminding!

Mrs Scrubbit
14-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Just like hectors house I too feel that I could have written your post. Think it is time to take a stand and put a stop to constantly thinking about next steps and how we are going to achieve them. I don't want my home looking like a nursery and am cutting back on the amount of stuff I have out - when Mrs O comes I will say that the children are happy and progressing, the parents are happy and that I cannot be spending all my time thinking and breathing childminding!

Well said:clapping: xx

hectors house
14-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Everytime I send home a LJ the parents say to me "oh what a lot of work" - I know they don't want me to spend all my free time writing about their child and neglecting my husband and own daughter but I am the sort of person who always gives 110% - trouble is I know I am making myself ill and not sleeping properly with worrying about "that" phone call, and that's not going to be helpful for the parents if I am off ill with stress either. It's been 4 1/2 years since my last inspection, so that call could come anytime and I am so bogged down and behind I would be lucky to get Satisfactory.

Shall we all make a pact to only spend a reasonable time doing paperwork and to try to find time to enjoy our families, friends and try not to live in a Nursery 24/7 - whose in?

JCrakers
14-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Sounds good to me Hectors House :thumbsup: although I always do my paperwork within work hours because once 6pm comes that's work finished.

Im just concentrating on what needs to be done and Im not aiming for outstanding at the moment as its making me ill. Im not even due an inspection yet as I had mine last march (2012) but Im always stressing

hectors house
14-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Wish I could get paperwork done within work hours but I just can't concentrate for long enough without getting distracted, so I do it all in the evenings - my husband is out tonight, so I will prob try to catch up on some observations and crack on with the 2 year development check - I know I write far too much, but feel the examples I have seen wouldn't tell a stranger (the Health Visitor) anything about the development of my mindees - I have done 2 so far - generally took 20 hours each, I am hoping to cut that down to about 10 hours this time, although I do feel that this one has got delays in some areas so need to word sympathetically not to offend parents but clear enough so HV gets the picture. Obviously going to take several evenings this week to get just that done!

So that is my aim this week to only spend half as long doing a 2 year check.

CLL
14-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I have decided to stop cm. handed my parents notice this morning. I am going to apply for a part time job at my sons school as a teaching assistant. The job just came up today as I was looking. It is to work 8:30-13:00 TTO. Don't know if I will get it or if something else will come along but I can not work 60+ hours a week. I know that the money is far less but I started cm to be around for my son. I never spend any quality time with him and just lately I seem to be telling him off all the time. I am ready to have my life and my home back. It is a shame as I worked incredibly hard to achieve my Outstanding but I don't think it's worth the paper it is written in now.

JCrakers
14-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I became part of the 'independent group' on Facebook and I have just taken it off because I think a lot of my problems were coming from there. A lot of people with problems and too many pictures of other peoples settings. I was looking at my newsfeed and it was full of posts from the group and I had to filter through it to find friends posts. This was also happening out of work too so I felt it was taking over.

I know its supposed to be a support group but I think the amount of newsfeed posts was stressing me too. Especially looking at other peoples houses, with all the ideas they had I started to feel a bit inferior even though I'm happy with what I have here.

I do actually feel better now I've left the group :blush: and feel decluttered

hectors house
14-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I became part of the 'independent group' on Facebook and I have just taken it off because I think a lot of my problems were coming from there. A lot of people with problems and too many pictures of other peoples settings. I was looking at my newsfeed and it was full of posts from the group and I had to filter through it to find friends posts. This was also happening out of work too so I felt it was taking over.

I know its supposed to be a support group but I think the amount of newsfeed posts was stressing me too. Especially looking at other peoples houses, with all the ideas they had I started to feel a bit inferior even though I'm happy with what I have here.

I do actually feel better now I've left the group :blush: and feel decluttered

Well done for identifying what was tipping you over the edge - hopefully we can give each other a kick up the :censored: and carry on doing what we do best without trying to compare ourselves to anyone else - if our parents/customers are happy then that should be enough.:thumbsup:

TooEarlyForGin?
14-10-2013, 04:53 PM
I agree with you fully J Crackers, also about the facebook page, it seems to be too much of a competition.

Funnily enough it comes at a time that I am actually clawing back my home getting rid of lots of wall stuff, plastics and trying to get it to be more "holistic" and natural. Again similar to many of you I am doing this not thinking about OFSTED as I know they probably won't like it.

I am also finding it difficult to do simple activities such as playdough, painting, garden play without trying to think of an "outcome" or "why are we doing this" and "what can I do to make it better?" instead of "kids are having fun - so what...."

Last week I didn't bother doing diaries, taking lots of photos, or worrying about outcomes of activities, as I had family visiting from abroad and didn't have time in the evening to do them all (I add in photo's and obs to my diaries as an all in one document), it was a LOVELY week, really relaxed, we did more, I wasn't worried about grabbing the camera to record anything and wasting time during the day or evening doing paperwork. Bliss.

Lots of empathy here x

FussyElmo
14-10-2013, 05:12 PM
TBF to the fb page. People are just trying to share their practice with others. Just because its on there doesn't mean that I feel that I have to implement anything however I have taken some really good ideas away and its improved my setting.

It might not be the page for you if you are feeling disheartened :-).

Is also a very fast moving and its easier to share photos etc on there.

You can stop the notifications from coming through and just dip in and out as you need :thumbsup:

Simona
14-10-2013, 05:33 PM
I do love my job and have 14 kiddywinks to look after ranging from 14m-10yrs. I started minding in 2007 after being a nanny in London. I received a Good in Aug 2008 and another Good in March 2012. After really, really wanting an Outstanding and not getting it I was knocked back and lost my yearning for a while.
But about a year later started to want that Outstanding again and I've worked so hard to achieve it. But after working myself to the bone, analysing and thinking about every single thing I do, I'm starting to wear myself out. Not only is it hard enough to work a 10hr day with children, being constantly on the go all day to then finish at 6pm, make tea for my own family and try to get some family time its really taking its toll on me, my patience after work is zero and my own children and dh get the brunt of it.

Trying to constantly better myself is starting to get to me. I can't just get up in a morning and work, I have to think about what I could be doing better and sometimes I cant think of anything because everything has been thought of. I feel like I'm in a high powered job where I should be bringing in 100k, not 10k, I feel like the pressure is immense and after finishing my SEF, updating 4 LJ's and trackers, making sure my obs are up to date I feel so dragged down.

This used to be enjoyable, I love kids but now I just look at them as trackers and what's he going to do next? A simple 10 piece jigsaw turns into a observation and can she do a 12 piece next time? Snack time turns into 'maybe they should be cutting their own fruit'. I despise Ofsted and hate what they do and are doing, they are stripping out the enjoyment of looking after children and making it so difficult.
I don't know if i'm just tired or really fed up of this...... It could be the weather or it could be I had a busy weekend and I'm tired
Thanks for listening to my moans and groans. :(

Come on girl...it is hard and we know it
I think we all accept changes to our practice but recently what has been coming is a bit of a rollercoaster...too much... too quick ...moving goalposts all the time and the way we are perceived does not help either!
CMs have had it rough recently but we have stuck it out before and we will again

Take a look at what you do and if you are happy don't change things just for the sake of it...reflect on what others do but if you are happy do not feel 'undermined'...do not put pressure on yourself...avoid it!
Choose your source of support carefully and no need to be involved in every forum or whatever just to keep up...sometimes that can be confusing, time consuming and sending you into a spiral of negative thinking.

Try to cut unnecessary paperwork....cms do far far too much...it really is not required and inspectors do not want to see reams of evidence or thousands of observations...they haven't got the time for that!
could you cut your working days?
or limit the number of children you care for?
could you work term time only?

DO you need a holiday????...important to take a break from it all and pamper yourself

Chin up!

Look at all angles!

Ripeberry
14-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I think almost everyone feels like this. But Ofsted are always changing the rules, moving the goalposts and making it harder to get 'Outstanding' and to be honest it doesn't bring more work in. The main thing is to be doing the right thing by the children and the families you care for. Your family needs you as well and running yourself ragged for a low paid job (which in truth it is), is not worth it in the end.
We can bring back the enjoyment of being with children. We just have to learn to enjoy the moment, try to cut down on our paperwork and stop being so hard on ourselves.

And this time of year makes everyone down anyway :(

Bumble Beez
14-10-2013, 05:53 PM
I definitely have days, weeks etc feeling like this...
After just getting over a terrible Ofsted I find I'm brushing myself off and coming out fighting...although it does mean a lot of work.
I constantly strive to be better, do further training, offer a more flexible service, expand activities I offer etc but it all takes time and effort.
I have to say some days I could have written your post...however I also have days where I can't think of a better job to do.

Chin up Hun, and try to look on the positive side xx

Sarah x

MessybutHappy
14-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I've been guilty of this too, and an now trying to set one improvement every couple of weeks, if I get an idea, I note it but try to stay focused on the current project. It's slowed me down so I'm not so reactive, and some of my great ideas turn out not to be so great when I get back to them!!!

christine e
14-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Everytime I send home a LJ the parents say to me "oh what a lot of work" - I know they don't want me to spend all my free time writing about their child and neglecting my husband and own daughter but I am the sort of person who always gives 110% - trouble is I know I am making myself ill and not sleeping properly with worrying about "that" phone call, and that's not going to be helpful for the parents if I am off ill with stress either. It's been 4 1/2 years since my last inspection, so that call could come anytime and I am so bogged down and behind I would be lucky to get Satisfactory.

Shall we all make a pact to only spend a reasonable time doing paperwork and to try to find time to enjoy our families, friends and try not to live in a Nursery 24/7 - whose in?

Count me in:thumbsup:

Lottie
14-10-2013, 06:22 PM
You could have written this for me too!

*RANT ALERT* need to get this off my chest...

I've absolutely had enough, for a while now, and today really broke the camels back. Ugh!!!! I've actually decided to give notice to one, for my own sanity. I'm so fed up with the pressure coming from all angles, the not knowing whats going to happen next and the thoughtlessness... Of course I don't have a life! I only live to serve! :panic: ....

....Ok feel better now.

Hugs xx

yummyripples
14-10-2013, 06:32 PM
I think we have to remember who we are working for. Is it for the children we mind or is it for ofsted?
I always tell prospective parents that I am not very ofsted minded. I explain that I follow the structure of eyfs but I do it for the benefit of the children not to impress ofsted. I have seen first hand many outstanding minders who view the children as projects.
My home is a home and not a nursery. I don't have stimulating posters all round my garden because nature is stimulating enough. I don't need diversity and equality resources around my home as we go out into the wider community and see these things first hand.
I don't need a home corner as we are at home. The children can use real equipment and really cook (although we do have play kitchen utensils too).
Some people like me because of this and some people don't. I haven't had an inspection since I have had this attitude so don't know where it will take me. As long as I don't lose my registration certificate I will be happy.
My parents are happy, my mindees are thriving - what more could I want?

cathtee
14-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I think we have to remember who we are working for. Is it for the children we mind or is it for ofsted?
I always tell prospective parents that I am not very ofsted minded. I explain that I follow the structure of eyfs but I do it for the benefit of the children not to impress ofsted. I have seen first hand many outstanding minders who view the children as projects.
My home is a home and not a nursery. I don't have stimulating posters all round my garden because nature is stimulating enough. I don't need diversity and equality resources around my home as we go out into the wider community and see these things first hand.
I don't need a home corner as we are at home. The children can use real equipment and really cook (although we do have play kitchen utensils too).
Some people like me because of this and some people don't. I haven't had an inspection since I have had this attitude so don't know where it will take me. As long as I don't lose my registration certificate I will be happy.

I couldn't agree with you more, I have always said that as long as my children and their parents are happy then I am doing the right things, I
have never wanted outstanding and as long as I have my registration then I too am happy, all of my business comes from recommendations and I think that speaks for itself.

Hugs to all my fellow childminders remember we work for ourselves and to make happy children, not work ofsted.

14-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Omg yummy ripples...... You have just said everything I feel to the letter!!!!! I am currently graded as outstanding and due my inspection soon but have really changed my attitude towards the job and how I approach things. I know I won't get outstanding next time but as long as I get good and I can continue to work, that's all that I care about. Sorry to be so negative but this is honestly how I feel. The kids I childmind love it here and the parents are super happy too!

yummyripples
14-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I would soooo love to get off the ofsted register. It wouldn't change the care I give the children one bit.
I only stay registered to be legal!

Simona
14-10-2013, 07:09 PM
I would soooo love to get off the ofsted register. It wouldn't change the care I give the children one bit.
I only stay registered to be legal!

Well you could if you cared only for the after school children...would that suit you?
I would love it because I like the older children and enjoy school holidays...it is certainly an option for the future

hectors house
14-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Well you could if you cared only for the after school children...would that suit you?
I would love it because I like the older children and enjoy school holidays...it is certainly an option for the future

But is it a wise move to just concentrate on school aged children when the Government is pushing schools to stay open from 8 - 6 ?

MessybutHappy
14-10-2013, 07:21 PM

Love your arguments, going off to strike another idea off the list, you are spot on with the home from home bit...I don't need a snuggly reading area...I have a sofa!!!! Thanks for the wake up call!!

Simona
14-10-2013, 07:23 PM
But is it a wise move to just concentrate on school aged children when the Government is pushing schools to stay open from 8 - 6 ?

Good question....however a little bird tells me that schools may not want to do that and cms will be part of that scheme
Schools need to recruit staff and also run during holidays...it may happen in the long run but not tomorrow!!!
I will give share more info when I hear more

yummyripples
14-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Maybe when my children have flown the nest but I like my house empty by 5.30 and I know people need wrap around care for longer hours

yummyripples
14-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Good question....however a little bird tells me that schools may not want to do that and cms will be part of that scheme
Schools need to recruit staff and also run during holidays...it may happen in the long run but not tomorrow!!!
I will give share more info when I hear more

The headmaster at my school has actually asked if I would run the afterschool club but it would mean I am not home for my own kids plus when would I holiday if it were a holiday club too

Mrs Scrubbit
14-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Maybe not......but I think that there will always be parents who will not want their children to remain in a school type enviroment all day long, esp. the younger kiddies, xx

Simona
14-10-2013, 07:36 PM
The headmaster at my school has actually asked if I would run the afterschool club but it would mean I am not home for my own kids plus when would I holiday if it were a holiday club too

Very good points
Some schools may ask cms to run their clubs...some maybe interested others may not
I think the schools may also have to 'signpost' parents to cms...just thinking aloud really...and working more in partnership with us?

It was the Labour party that said they would make it compulsory for schools to stay open 8-6pm...Truss wants to remove all the red tape for them so that mums can run the care...some do but mums will want to be with their children by 5.30 and certainly not run holiday schemes...again I am thinking aloud

Lets see how it develops...by the time it is all up and running I will be retired!! :laughing:

Daftbat
14-10-2013, 07:44 PM
OMG as with others I feel this post from the OP is absolutely how I feel sometimes. I have had a rubbish day today with 4 under fives. 2 of them were great but the others just didn't listen o a word that I said and it has made me feel C**p!

I know there are good and bad days and |I feel rubbish today but there are a lot of points that have been made which are valid. Its so easy to let it take over your life and I am definitely going to make an effort to reduce this for me. I try to do paperwork in work time except for invoicing etc - its hard but I think well, I should be able to do it whilst they are freeplaying and do my best.

Not going to carry on about this as I feel so fed up tonight I would put people off doing the job.........

JCrakers
14-10-2013, 08:08 PM
I love this website !!!!!!!
Thankyou and hugs to all, I'm feeling so much better :)

It's nice to know that other people are also feeling like this too. I do feel better after sorting out my facebook newsfeed. I can now sit and look through friends posts instead of constantly having to trawl through all the childminding threads, a lot of them talking about stuff I can't be bothered to read.

I'm just going to be myself from now on and I'm not gong to stress out about everything so much. I can only be what I am and I can do little improvements without having to get so obsessed.
I know I'm doing a good job and as long as I can maintain my rating and not go backwards I'll be happy.

blue bear
14-10-2013, 08:09 PM
It's such a shame how things have gone, I honestly dont remember all this stress in the early days of being registered,it has Definetly built since ofsted took over.

beachgirl29
14-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I am feeling the Same at the moment. I've been doing this for 4 years nearly and waiting for my next inspection however I don't think i am outstanding. My paperwork only makes sense to me and i do things very visual and i know childminders with better paperwork then me with it all linked...so i am not expecting an outstanding.
I am getting very stressed out with the school run and finding planning very difficult at the moment just seem to be going round in circles :( I've lost my mojo. Need a few days off i think to sort myself out.

Mrs Scrubbit
14-10-2013, 08:16 PM

It's nice to know that other people are also feeling like this too. I do feel better after sorting out my facebook newsfeed. I can now sit and look through friends posts instead of constantly having to trawl through all the childminding threads, a lot of them talking about stuff I can't be bothered to read.

I'm just going to be myself from now on and I'm not gong to stress out about everything so much. I can only be what I am and I can do little improvements without having to get so obsessed.
I know I'm doing a good job and as long as I can maintain my rating and not go backwards I'll be happy.

Well done, I'm with you on this, my new saying is ' I'll do my best without the stress' :laughing: xx

hectors house
14-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Think my problem is that I should have taken Oct half term week off and gone away on holiday - but my parents are so used to me giving about 4 months notice that I persuaded myself that they wouldn't cope if I only gave them 4 weeks notice as per contract - by the time I realised that I really needed a holiday it was too late to even give them 4 weeks notice and I am very annoyed with myself :angry:

I had one week off in January, one week in July and a day off last month to make a long weekend to visit my brother who has moved to Jersey. I have a new baby starting week after half term and the parent is a teacher so I can hardly give notice now to have a holiday before Xmas - not when I have had nearly 10 months notice of when he is starting.

I used to treat myself on my day off each week and either get my hair cut or nails done or have a massage - now those treats have been lost under the paperwork pile and a trip to the dentist seems like a treat - going to book a nice appointment for this Thursday!!

yummyripples
14-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Think my problem is that I should have taken Oct half term week off and gone away on holiday - but my parents are so used to me giving about 4 months notice that I persuaded myself that they wouldn't cope if I only gave them 4 weeks notice as per contract - by the time I realised that I really needed a holiday it was too late to even give them 4 weeks notice and I am very annoyed with myself :angry:

I had one week off in January, one week in July and a day off last month to make a long weekend to visit my brother who has moved to Jersey. I have a new baby starting week after half term and the parent is a teacher so I can hardly give notice now to have a holiday before Xmas - not when I have had nearly 10 months notice of when he is starting.

I used to treat myself on my day off each week and either get my hair cut or nails done or have a massage - now those treats have been lost under the paperwork pile and a trip to the dentist seems like a treat - going to book a nice appointment for this Thursday!!

Speak to them about booking time off before Xmas

Simona
14-10-2013, 08:43 PM

HURRAY!!!:clapping:

Bluebell
14-10-2013, 09:09 PM
It's so sad that such lovely people that have been doing it as long as you all have are getting so fed up. I feel this way and I've only been doing it a couple of years so I thought it was me!

The whole Ofsted thing is strange because we know its impossible for them always to get it right on a short visit, to judge us on a 2 hour inspection every few years and we know that a lot of it is to do with red tape / paperwork / ticking boxes and on top of this children being well-behaved and making improvements - so really depends a lot of the time on the children you have on the day.
But having said that for those of us that really care and work hard and want to improve and want to get it right the Ofsted is the one chance we get for some of the hard work to be officially recognised so no matter how much we say 'well it would be nice but'.. well it does matter inside!

Please remember the children love you and the parents appreciate you and as has been said this is what is important - safe and happy children.

toddlers896
14-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Jcrackers, you must be my twin. This is exactly how I used to feel. I've chilled out a bit but I've only been doing this job a couple of years and I am simply obsessed. I too wish I could just enjoy my job without thinking about next steps and what their play is telling me. My life revolves around childminding and my hubby is always telling me if I put as much effort into a sales job I would be earning a fortune.

The Juggler
14-10-2013, 09:18 PM
crackers it sounds like you've identified for yourself what is taking the fun out of the job you used to love. You know things are in place, so apart from reflecting on things that might really make a difference just enjoy the children and watching and planning fun things for them. Stop worrying about improving your setting constantly - it sounds like it's already in a pretty good way to me.

big hugs

toddlers896
14-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I became part of the 'independent group' on Facebook and I have just taken it off because I think a lot of my problems were coming from there. A lot of people with problems and too many pictures of other peoples settings. I was looking at my newsfeed and it was full of posts from the group and I had to filter through it to find friends posts. This was also happening out of work too so I felt it was taking over. I know its supposed to be a support group but I think the amount of newsfeed posts was stressing me too. Especially looking at other peoples houses, with all the ideas they had I started to feel a bit inferior even though I'm happy with what I have here. I do actually feel better now I've left the group :blush: and feel decluttered

We'd definitely are twins lol. I have also just done this as felt I was also obsessed with reading the posts and trying to keep on top of them all. I was on it every day and every evening. My hubby went to bed early every night as he was getting annoyed with me. Now I just need to do the same with this one. One step at a time lol

CLL
15-10-2013, 06:24 AM
I too have been looking at everybody's 'setting' pictures on fb and tbh it just makes me feel sorry for them. All this competition to see who has the better 'nursery'. Most of them just have a house bursting with plastic toys. I have a playroom but it is not over the top, it looks more like a family room. I was graded as outstanding because of what I do, not because of how many shelving units I have filled with toys or how many posters I can display in my home. You are right to take a step back from it all, before you started looking on fb YOU thought your home was fine. Remember your own judgement is best.

Simona
15-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Can anyone explain how a FB page can make people feel in the way it has been described by various people?

I am trying to get my head round what I am reading....as I am not on FB I am trying to visualise what goes on in this particular FB page...why are the photos upsetting many cms? why the competition and is it a particular page? or the whole of FB? some time ago there was a similar thread on cms being upset is it the same now ....people here are talking about obsession, FB is a social media but why does it trigger such strong feelings and obvious signs of upset is difficult to understand.

Is FB different from any other medium such as twitter or a forum ...I hope someone can explain

toddlers896
15-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Can anyone explain how a FB page can make people feel in the way it has been described by various people? I am trying to get my head round what I am reading....as I am not on FB I am trying to visualise what goes on in this particular FB page...why are the photos upsetting many cms? why the competition and is it a particular page? or the whole of FB? some time ago there was a similar thread on cms being upset is it the same now ....people here are talking about obsession, FB is a social media but why does it trigger such strong feelings and obvious signs of upset is difficult to understand. Is FB different from any other medium such as twitter or a forum ...I hope someone can explain

It becomes an obsession Simona. What other people do doesn't bother me, I love getting the ideas but it's knowing when to stop and some people can't do that. I would see and idea and write it to my list and before you know it you are sleeping, eating and breathing childminding so the less you know about the better, hence the reason I deleted myself front the forum. I want to wind down at the end of the day, not get myself all hyper because I need to do some other idea I've found from a forum. If you can switch off at the end of the day then there's no problem with it, but I couldn't switch off and I was even waking up in the night thinking about what I had to do that day.
It becomes addictive and an obsession. Not good when it takes over your life for £3.75 per hr.

SammySplodger
15-10-2013, 07:10 AM
I too have been looking at everybody's 'setting' pictures on fb and tbh it just makes me feel sorry for them. All this competition to see who has the better 'nursery'. Most of them just have a house bursting with plastic toys. I have a playroom but it is not over the top, it looks more like a family room. I was graded as outstanding because of what I do, not because of how many shelving units I have filled with toys or how many posters I can display in my home. You are right to take a step back from it all, before you started looking on fb YOU thought your home was fine. Remember your own judgement is best.

I know exactly what you mean, feels like a competition at times... but I wonder if it actually makes any difference to Mrs O (having a playroom that looks like a nursery) probably not! What if those busy uploading photos aren't that great at interacting with LOs? It ain't what you do, but the way that you do it! Given up beating myself up about this!

JCrakers - feeling pretty jaded myself ATM - it's a full-on job. Sending you best wishes. I just try to rest properly at weekends, only way I can cope,
x

FussyElmo
15-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Can anyone explain how a FB page can make people feel in the way it has been described by various people?

I am trying to get my head round what I am reading....as I am not on FB I am trying to visualise what goes on in this particular FB page...why are the photos upsetting many cms? why the competition and is it a particular page? or the whole of FB? some time ago there was a similar thread on cms being upset is it the same now ....people here are talking about obsession, FB is a social media but why does it trigger such strong feelings and obvious signs of upset is difficult to understand.

Is FB different from any other medium such as twitter or a forum ...I hope someone can explain

How to say this as gently as possible its not the page that is causing people to feel like this. But the person themselves. if you are the sort of person who has to implement everything you see on there then yes it will drive you nuts. You are supposed to take what suits you away from it not everything.

There has been some lovely paperwork shared but again if it doesn't suit you then why do it?

Fb doesn't trigger strong feelings and upset and if it does then maybe its time for the person it causing it for to take a step away from fb as it being used wrongly :D

SammySplodger
15-10-2013, 07:19 AM
It becomes an obsession Simona. What other people do doesn't bother me, I love getting the ideas but it's knowing when to stop and some people can't do that. I would see and idea and write it to my list and before you know it you are sleeping, eating and breathing childminding so the less you know about the better, hence the reason I deleted myself front the forum. I want to wind down at the end of the day, not get myself all hyper because I need to do some other idea I've found from a forum. If you can switch off at the end of the day then there's no problem with it, but I couldn't switch off and I was even waking up in the night thinking about what I had to do that day.
It becomes addictive and an obsession. Not good when it takes over your life for £3.75 per hr.

I just ignore all the less useful posts and self-filter as there are still many very useful bits of info (Sarah's especially) and some of the files are brilliant and very generous. The 'setting' photos are really no different to those appearing on my personal news feed of people with massive houses / exotic holidays / snazzy new car. I just ignore them and move on. No point getting upset. And never the whole picture. You have to just take the best parts of FB (and there are many). Absolutely agree some are obsessed - working on that myself ;-) But I find it hard to switch off at the end of the day. We are all different.
x

SammySplodger
15-10-2013, 07:22 AM
How to say this as gently as possible its not the page that is causing people to feel like this. But the person themselves. if you are the sort of person who has to implement everything you see on there then yes it will drive you nuts. You are supposed to take what suits you away from it not everything.

There has been some lovely paperwork shared but again if it doesn't suit you then why do it?

Fb doesn't trigger strong feelings and upset and if it does then maybe its time for the person it causing it for to take a step away from fb as it being used wrongly :D

Spot on Fussy!

mrs robbie williams
15-10-2013, 09:31 AM
In the same feel so pressured all the time about paperwork that needs to be done but doing 10-12 hr days I have no time, got DO comjng Thursday and no doubt she will be full of ideas!!

k-tots
15-10-2013, 11:19 AM
After school clubs run by schools are all well and good but they do not have the home setting as a cm nor do the majority of them provide evening meals.....I had to send my dd5 while I was working away to after school every evening. ...but oh had to give her a quick tea when they got back.....at least with a cm u know they are more likely to eat at a normal time x

toddlers896
15-10-2013, 12:56 PM

The problem is though fussy Elmo is there is tooooo many good ideas on there lol and they all suit me. I've tried and tested lots of paperwork and like you say it's finding what's right for you, I find myself saying lots of times oh that's a good way of doing it, I change my paperwork and then see another great idea and then oh I like that one better and start all over again. If I had been doing this job years I don't think I would be so obsessed but it's early days and I want my work to be perfecto !! I will probably get bored soon.:thumbsup:

Simona
15-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Is there such a thing as 'lovely' or 'perfect' paperwork?
What each cm uses has to be something they understand and can get them to explain to an inspector why it works for the cm and how she can clearly show evidence of children's progress

So all this is about some people putting photos and their paperwork on FB and causing stress to others?
Whoever owns the page I suppose should be in charge and allow for meaningful info sharing ...on twitter you have a 'block' button...is there not one on FB?
is that a simple question?

I would ignore all this and instead try to follow what Truss said this morning at the Education Select Committee...that will make your day!

FussyElmo
15-10-2013, 01:35 PM
What each cm uses has to be something they understand and can get them to explain to an inspector why it works for the cm and how she can clearly show evidence of children's progress

So all this is about some people putting photos and their paperwork on FB and causing stress to others?
Whoever owns the page I suppose should be in charge and allow for meaningful info sharing ...on twitter you have a 'block' button...is there not one on FB?

I would ignore all this and instead try to follow what Truss said this morning at the Education Select Committee...that will make your day!

Simona nobody is putting photos or paperwork on fb to cause stress to others they are doing to share practise with other childminders.

toddlers896
15-10-2013, 02:43 PM

I don't understand why things get blown out of proportion. :rolleyes: I suppose it gets back to everybody reads things in a different way.
Nobody said they are bothered about other peoples photos and their paperwork and nobody is causing stress to anybody. Well not me anyway! I love it, its great to get feedback from other people. My setting wouldn't be as it is without the help ive had from the forums. All I am simply saying is it can be addictive, but that's my fault nobody elses.
Do you never see a document and say oh that looks good and would work for me? I do it all the time - its called CPD. I don't just take others ideas because it looks good or perfect as you say and would never take an idea if I didn't understand it. What would be the point in that?
My paperwork at the moment is Perfect!! until I see another idea that would work for me :rolleyes:

Bluebell
15-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I understood what you meant - you are a perfectionist who is always striving to be better and better! That can be a bad thing when it is taking over your life and leaving you worn out! I am always seeing stuff and thinking how brilliant!

I left a lot of things to slide - things were in place but I wasn't reviewing them regularly like I normally would. I was doing my EYP so was very specific with what I had in place, then I had a summer holiday and had a bit of a break from it all then in September I reviewed everything and it is quite over-whelmimg because once you decide you want to make something better and change it then it all feels like it has to be done right NOW!! I've changed my observations, my planning, started a new online system, have re-filed everything so it is clearer and easy to find, started a new information sharing system and am still to review all my policies and it can't all be done at once but the only person putting pressure on myself to get it all done now is me! (well unless I have an Ofsted next week!)

Good luck to you and I understand your decision to take a step back from it all and just enjoy it!

toddlers896
15-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I understood what you meant - you are a perfectionist who is always striving to be better and better! That can be a bad thing when it is taking over your life and leaving you worn out! I am always seeing stuff and thinking how brilliant!

I left a lot of things to slide - things were in place but I wasn't reviewing them regularly like I normally would. I was doing my EYP so was very specific with what I had in place, then I had a summer holiday and had a bit of a break from it all then in September I reviewed everything and it is quite over-whelmimg because once you decide you want to make something better and change it then it all feels like it has to be done right NOW!! I've changed my observations, my planning, started a new online system, have re-filed everything so it is clearer and easy to find, started a new information sharing system and am still to review all my policies and it can't all be done at once but the only person putting pressure on myself to get it all done now is me! (well unless I have an Ofsted next week!)

Good luck to you and I understand your decision to take a step back from it all and just enjoy it!

Thankyou bluelion - you have worded that for me perfect - Ive never been good at explaining what I mean lol. I like to think ime a perfectionist but I have wasted so much ink re-doing policies and planning that I wonder if its now OCD lol.:laughing: My friends always tell me I will never be happy with what I do because I just cant be happy with what I have. It does take over your life that's why i was saying i try not to go on the forums now. ha ha, I've been on this one all afternoon - so funny. got a few tips though lol x

JCrakers
15-10-2013, 03:54 PM
The FB page was very informative but it wasn't for me. There was a lot of good info including paperwork, craft ideas, settings etc and I did get a lot of new ideas.

The problems I had were:
a. I like to enjoy FB after work and the newsfeed was inundated with posts. I couldn't finish work and enjoy FB, I enjoy reading what friends and family have been up to but felt like it was an extension of work and I had to trawl through maybe 10 posts before finding one that didn't mention childminding.
b. I found a lot of good ideas which at first I liked but then I was overwhelmed with everybody posting pictures of their setting, not because I thought it was better than mine but because I was overloaded with new ideas. I have a setting improvement form and the list was long....I loved the Mud kitchens and found myself outside thinking where I could put one but then Id see the climbing frames and think...mmm...I could put that there. Then I'd see a fab display and take ideas from that, a wonderful bargain that someone had found.....it just became too much. I already come on here to get lots of ideas and together with that was overload. I could do one or the other, I love my job but cannot be reading internet forums and ideas all evening.

I do think the FB page was very good but, for me was too much :thumbsup:

SammySplodger
15-10-2013, 04:36 PM
The FB page was very informative but it wasn't for me. There was a lot of good info including paperwork, craft ideas, settings etc and I did get a lot of new ideas.

The problems I had were:
a. I like to enjoy FB after work and the newsfeed was inundated with posts. I couldn't finish work and enjoy FB, I enjoy reading what friends and family have been up to but felt like it was an extension of work and I had to trawl through maybe 10 posts before finding one that didn't mention childminding.
b. I found a lot of good ideas which at first I liked but then I was overwhelmed with everybody posting pictures of their setting, not because I thought it was better than mine but because I was overloaded with new ideas. I have a setting improvement form and the list was long....I loved the Mud kitchens and found myself outside thinking where I could put one but then Id see the climbing frames and think...mmm...I could put that there. Then I'd see a fab display and take ideas from that, a wonderful bargain that someone had found.....it just became too much. I already come on here to get lots of ideas and together with that was overload. I could do one or the other, I love my job but cannot be reading internet forums and ideas all evening.

Did you know that you can change the settings to keep it out of your news feed? Then you can just dip in and out when YOU choose to. :-) Same for any FB group.

JCrakers
15-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Did you know that you can change the settings to keep it out of your news feed? Then you can just dip in and out when YOU choose to. :-) Same for any FB group.

Yes but it didn't work for some reason

watford wizz
15-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Reading all your comments makes me feel very sad. I believe that most childminders are doing such a brilliant job going 1000s of extra miles in serving the families we work with. We are all very special and unique and what we give out reflect this. Having minded for over 20 years i have had my share of tough times but something I was told in year 10 changed how I saw things that we the minders are the best resource our businesses have!! So I want to encourage you all to look after your best business asset, yes things are very unsettling at the moment but we can get through supporting each other in a positive way. Good child care will always be good childcare regardless of how the play trends/ political winds blow. Take heart dear forum friends.

bindy
15-10-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm not on FB and will not join. I got very bogged down in paper, all kinds of forms, ideas etc, all together must have been 3ft high!! I decided to get rid of most, now I don't use any sheets/forms but do my own. Ofsted was very happy with my LJ. I write a few sentences and link it up, plus a photo, simple but interesting, that is all that is needed!!! Trust in your self. Do what works for you, I have 8 LJ I just can not spend hours and hours on them, do not have the time, I have a daughter and a life out side of child minding, even though I love my job I also love my own time and family time. I do not need to be competitive with others I am happy and confident in my self and always full. The kids are happy, we have great days, I get on well with my parents. Job done!

Simona
16-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Simona nobody is putting photos or paperwork on fb to cause stress to others they are doing to share practise with other childminders.

Well I can only think I have misread the whole thread?
As Bindy says in the post below nobody needs to write reams, no one needs competition when it comes to paperwork and above all inspectors do not need novels when it comes to our evidence...it is what we feel is right for us in order to show evidence of children's progress

I take it this FB page is the Forum own one?
or am I wrong? if so why not share that paperwork in the forum as well and not just FB??
there are lots of cms in the forum who ask for help each day on planning, observations and paperwork so why restrict it to FB?

In addition it is possible all the shared paperwork on FB now needs to be updated to reflect the new Inspection framework and evidence inspectors need...it would be great to share here too how cms are updating any documentation if any and why or keeping things as they are!

Having read the Evaluation schedule I did tweak a couple of things yesterday in my paperwork

Take a look and share and look at pp7,8 and 14 in particular

Ofsted | Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/evaluation-schedule-for-inspections-of-registered-early-years-provision)

FussyElmo
16-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Well I can only think I have misread the whole thread?
As Bindy says in the post below nobody needs to write reams, no one needs competition when it comes to paperwork and above all inspectors do not need novels when it comes to our evidence...it is what we feel is right for us in order to show evidence of children's progress

I take it this FB page is the Forum own one?
or am I wrong? if so why not share that paperwork in the forum as well and not just FB??
there are lots of cms in the forum who ask for help each day on planning, observations and paperwork so why restrict it to FB?

In addition it is possible all the shared paperwork on FB now needs to be updated to reflect the new Inspection framework and evidence inspectors need...it would be great to share here too how cms are updating any documentation if any and why or keeping things as they are!

Having read the Evaluation schedule I did tweak a couple of things yesterday in my paperwork

Take a look and share and look at pp7,8 and 14 in particular

Ofsted | Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/evaluation-schedule-for-inspections-of-registered-early-years-provision)

Its not being restricted to the fb page however its up to the person who has shared it to also put it on the forum.

Simona
16-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Its not being restricted to the fb page however its up to the person who has shared it to also put it on the forum.

Can you say where else it is available for all to see if it is not restricted to FB only? I would certainly like to take a look at someone else's paperwork ...why not?

angeldelight
16-10-2013, 07:15 AM

The problems I had were:

I do understand where your coming from to a degree

But your brilliant so don't let what everyone else does knock your confidence in yourself .

Make a pact like I do .....I never do any childminding related things after a certain time ( unless I really really need to ...forum and my groups etc )
I don't at weekends either ...never really have

It works for me why not try it ...give yourself a bit of a break ....some YOU time

I really don't know how some people are in the forum and groups 24/7 I felt a bit inadequate about it yrs ago ...but no more ...

Angel xx

hectors house
16-10-2013, 07:21 AM
I have decided that rather than constantly playing catch up with writing up my observations - I am going to write up today's observations TODAY and then chip away at the backlog from previous months. I get behind as I am rubbish at downloading the photos and have to wait for my husband to do it for me - but from now on I will just look at the camera to remind me of photo/observation I have made that day (may have been on a walk or outing - so can't do it immediately), write up the observation and write ADD PHOTO to remind me that I have a photo to add when they are downloaded. Hopefully my observations will be more accurate as sometimes I can't remember exactly why I took the photo and hopefully I won't feel so demoralised always working behind and the backlog will eventually disappear and I can keep on top of everything again!

SammySplodger
16-10-2013, 07:26 AM

And some people don't use this forum, only FB.
You can't force / control people to do things in any particular way. Nor would I want to.

Generally I enjoy the FB group and generally the Admins are doing a great job, considering how many people are on there.

I was thinking about this yesterday ....and to be quite honest I feel that I have experienced far more negativity and bullying on here lately than I ever have on FB.

Simona
16-10-2013, 08:00 AM
You can't force / control people to do things in any particular way. Nor would I want to.

Generally I enjoy the FB group and generally the Admins are doing a great job, considering how many people are on there.

I was thinking about this yesterday ....and to be quite honest I feel that I have experienced far more negativity and bullying on here lately than I ever have on FB.

Sammy no one is asking cms or forcing them to share here as well as on FB...if they want that would be great if not then we can look elsewhere

I find a lot of positivity everywhere with cms willing to fight on even though sometimes we have little info we are really trying to support each other in the many ways available to us.

angeldelight
16-10-2013, 08:07 AM

I haven't been around much lately here ...grandchildren in hospital etc

Not great though reading you have felt negative and bullying comments here ....it's always been something that us mods have not tolerated

Angel xxx

hectors house
16-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I haven't been around much lately here ...grandchildren in hospital etc

Not great though reading you have felt negative and bullying comments here ....it's always been something that us mods have not tolerated

Angel xxx

Sorry to hear that you have had poorly grandchildren Angel - hope everything ok and they are getting better now :)

angeldelight
16-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear that you have had poorly grandchildren Angel - hope everything ok and they are getting better now :)

Thank you

Both in hospital at different times ..one age 2 and one age 4
2 yr old lots better but 4 yr old will be under the hospital for a year or so now

Thank you for asking

Angel xxx

Bumble Beez
16-10-2013, 08:47 AM
My hubby has 'booked' me for the evening so we can have tv and together time tonight...
I've been so busy with work recently that I haven't had 5mins to just sit and chat with him...but tonight we are having a night together!
Need to do this every week me thinks lol

Sarah x

FussyElmo
16-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Can you say where else it is available for all to see if it is not restricted to FB only? I would certainly like to take a look at someone else's paperwork ...why not?

Its available on facebook. You want to look at it then join facebook :D

If that's where the person has shared the paperwork that's where they want it to be :)

MessybutHappy
16-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Its available on facebook. You want to look at it then join facebook :D

If that's where the person has shared the paperwork that's where they want it to be :)

You beat me to it! Just what I was going to say!

SandCastles
21-10-2013, 11:24 AM
I have two FB accounts, one for friends and one for work. I just login and logout depending on what I want to view and it is working ok for me at the moment. I have also decided to try and not stress about paperwork and viewing children as mini projects, but I have gone too far and now I am behind with my paperwork, my diary and my accounts. Trying to find the Work/Home balance is a tricky one!