PDA

View Full Version : How do you organise your milage?

vikiwizz
14-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi all

Just trying to keep track if milage and wondered what you do?
What info do I/should I record?
Also how much is milage now?

Thanks viki

mummyMia
14-10-2013, 06:46 PM
I made a list of all the most common places that I go to and used Google maps to work out the number of miles for a round trip to each of those places. I have a childminding diary and I use it write down where I have been each day, including any school/nursery runs. Then I look up the miles from my list and jot the distances down in my diary too. At the end of the week I add up all the miles for that week. So when I am doing my tax return, I just add up all the weekly totals. It seemed like a lot of work when I first got my car, but now that I have the system all set up it doesn't actually take that long.

cathtee
14-10-2013, 06:52 PM
I've been using my car for years for the odd outing but have never written anything off my tax, after talking to one of my friends I have
started to add up the amounts, a simple trip to soft play is 7 miles and can write off £3.15 (45p per mile) I wish I had done it earlier.

rickysmiths
14-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Oh dear.

I claim all outings.
Shopping trips
If I have to go to the Bank
Home visits to parents
School runs and Nursery/playgroup runs
Visits to toddler groups etc.
Meetings
Trips to training (add 5p per mile if you give another cm or your assistant a lift)

My annual mileage is often over £1000 per year so well worth putting down.

I have a little note book divided into the months of the financial year I note down the places I have been and use the trip meter to record the miles.

moggy
14-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I keep a chart in my car with a pen:

date / journey (like: 'home- to soft play at xxx - home') / reason for journey / mileage

I press the button on the dash to make counter go to zero before we set off and write down the miles at the end of the journey.
Add up at the end of the year and keep the chart with my accounts.

Easy. Although this is the first year I have done it, I can see now it really adds up so worth doing (I do not use car regularly, just for odd trips out)

Simona
15-10-2013, 06:50 AM
It depends how much you use your car...if you use it mostly for childminding then keep a track of your personal use and deduct from your monthly total...it is worth keeping your eye on it and certainly claim for every mile!