PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help! Not sure what to do!

fione
12-10-2013, 04:41 PM
I am a newly registered childminder, and have 7 lovely children already on my books since sept, my problem is I took on 3 of those children in a bit of a blind panic, as I was desperate to get in some children as I had given up my full time job, 1 of the children I have 4 days a week and the other 2 older ones I have after school, 4 days a week, the latest they go home is 5.30, my issue now is that their mum does shift work at a hospital, so I thought I would be helping, I was desperate, they were desperate, but there are days when they only do one day all week, then the next week it could be 3, the next maybe 2 so on and so on, the earliest they get picked up is 3.30 which means maybe 3 days a week I pick them up from school, to only have the for 15 mins! I am now getting more established and more parents are asking me for spaces, but due to these 3 children, I have to keep their spaces open all week, meaning I am turning people away, and losing out on earnings, as I only charge this family as and when they need me, I now feel so silly, to have jumped in and took them on without properly thinking about it, now I don't know whether to talk to the parents and tell them due to high demand I have to charge them for their spaces all week until 5.30 or do I carry on turning people away and lose out??? Such a silly mistake on my half, can anybody help!! Feeling stupid!!

weedotes
12-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I think you would need to renegotiate with the parents . When do you review their contracts ? If you're very fond of them and they're happy with you maybe they will understand the need to pay at least a retainer for days not used .

Mouse
12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
I think I would ask parents in for a chat and be honest with them. Tell them that you were new when you took them on and didn't fully understand the implications of allowing them to only pay for the sessions they used. Explain how you are limited to the number of children you can look after and explain the financial implications of charging the way you do. Very often parents don't fully understand how having limited numbers can effect us, so it needs explaining to them.

Work out how much it would cost them if you charged at full fee, keeping the space open for 5 days a week and until 5.30pm. Then show them how much they pay on a week when you hardly have the children. They have to get your point when they see it written down in front of them.

Then agree a new rate with them. I wouldn't go straight to charging them the full amount, but aim for a figure that is close to it. At best they'll agree to the new figures. At worst they will give notice, although it does sound as if you won't struggle to fill the spaces.

Koala
12-10-2013, 06:18 PM
You havn't been silly - don't beat yourself up too much we all do things in haste and then repent at leisure.

If I were you, I would definately address this with the family, to be honest I am sure they think their birthdays have come all at once with the deal they have with you, I would:
establish what days they need and reserve these days at 50% and charge 100% when they do (if they need 5 days cover and only attend 1 I would charge 4 days at 50% and 1 day at 100%)

Remember you have to pay your bills too, you can't turn away income, don't say you are having others inquiring because you need to portray and all round professional, business fairness and the fact is you cannot run a business and not earn money for the services you have available.

You need to address this now and if they go elsewhere that is a risk you will have to take but if you have other REGULAR income on the horizon it will be better for you.

Good luck with it all and maybe they will be able to work something out with you. :thumbsup:

Again don't feel bad, we all live and learn, i've made loads of mistakes and put up with a lot in the past that I wouldn't now. :D

fione
12-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Thankyou all so much for your advice, part of me new I had to speak to them, but just needed that reassurance I would be doing the right thing! Now I have to pluck up the courage to speak to them! They are lovely parents, and I would like to think that they will understand, just feel bad I am now changing it, if the worse comes to worse they will pull them out, but I really can't think of anywhere else that would do what I am at the minute, just wish I had thought about these scenarios before hand! I guess we live and learn! And learn by our mistakes, thank you all so much for listening and giving me some much needed support!! Xx

weedotes
12-10-2013, 09:43 PM
I think I would ask parents in for a chat and be honest with them. Tell them that you were new when you took them on and didn't fully understand the implications of allowing them to only pay for the sessions they used. Explain how you are limited to the number of children you can look after and explain the financial implications of charging the way you do. Very often parents don't fully understand how having limited numbers can effect us, so it needs explaining to them.

Work out how much it would cost them if you charged at full fee, keeping the space open for 5 days a week and until 5.30pm. Then show them how much they pay on a week when you hardly have the children. They have to get your point when they see it written down in front of them.

Then agree a new rate with them. I wouldn't go straight to charging them the full amount, but aim for a figure that is close to it. At best they'll agree to the new figures. At worst they will give notice, although it does sound as if you won't struggle to fill the spaces.

You put that so much better than I did Mouse !

Simona
13-10-2013, 08:54 AM
As these children are in your care already and not new business have you considered doing a variation?
The fact that sometimes they are with you for just 15 mins could be looked at as an overlap?
This would allow you to take on new children full time and accommodate the parent's shift work

In future this will be very common as the govt moves towards a policy of 'flexibility' and takes account of those parents who have atypical hours
In addition parents who work shift have a roster and they know well in advance when they need to work and when they need cover which would help you in your variation

Hope this helps

BlondeMoment
13-10-2013, 08:53 PM
I did exactly the same thing when I first started out. I eventually told the parent that I would need to sort out some contracted days and that the contracted days would need to be paid regardless of attendance. You need to point out it is the place the parents are paying for and not the child's attendance. If days change regularly then you need to be taking a minimum payment for the week. Perhaps spread out an average cost over a year and divide into months so your pay is a little more regular.
so many parents need the 'spaces' system explained to them but once they know they usually understand

The Juggler
13-10-2013, 09:07 PM

good advice and I agree. you haven't been silly - just naive. we all learn through the things that don't work honey

Simona
13-10-2013, 09:35 PM
good advice and I agree. you haven't been silly - just naive. we all learn through the things that don't work honey

it is not a question of being naïve or silly...just look at EYFS 12 and change things accordingly...be flexible like the parents want you to be and look at your practice to ensure you remain sustainable while catering for all needs.

lisbet
13-10-2013, 09:58 PM
As these children are in your care already and not new business have you considered doing a variation?
The fact that sometimes they are with you for just 15 mins could be looked at as an overlap?
This would allow you to take on new children full time and accommodate the parent's shift work

In future this will be very common as the govt moves towards a policy of 'flexibility' and takes account of those parents who have atypical hours
In addition parents who work shift have a roster and they know well in advance when they need to work and when they need cover which would help you in your variation

Hope this helps

But wouldn't the new children count as new business, and therefore a variation to accommodate existing children + new children for 15mins- 2hrs 15mins 1-4days a week wouldn't be allowed?? :confused: It's entirely possible I have misunderstood though:blush: - this variation stuff confuses me, so I would play it safe and renegotiate the family's contract. Hope it all gets sorted out smoothly, fione x

fione
30-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Well thank you all for your advice, I spoke to parents straight away after reading your comments (thought I better get it over and done with) and decided I would charge them full price when the children were actually with me and half price for when they were not, both parents slightly miffed, but explained that they would get no childcare in the area as cheap as that, and really didn't want to lose them, they looked into other childcare and were being charged a fortune, so have decided to stay with me in the end, so even though they are still getting it for cheap as chips, it has gone up slightly and means I can actually pay some bills!! Plus while they were deciding I managed to sign up a set of twins 3 days a week! So a huge thank you to all for your advice, if it wasn't for you all, I was ready to pack it all in!! Xx

Tulip
30-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Thats wonderful! It's all worked out great for you :)

tas
30-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Its good that it has worked out for you :)

Koala
31-10-2013, 07:37 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :laughing: :laughing: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: YEAH!!! WOOPEEEE

jackie 7
31-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Well done. The great thing with the forum is if gives you courage you also realise you are not alone in having problems.