PDA

View Full Version : Facebook and Twitter for communication?

Bumble Beez
11-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Good morning everyone :waving:

I don't have a facebook or twitter account and feel like I'm one of very few who don't!!

So when Wibble posted that she had joined twitter...it started me thinking...

I know some childminders have websites, facebook pages and twitter accounts just for minding and communicating with parents...and I wondered which everyone found the best, or easiest to use?

I would love to have a website, as I feel it would be easy enough for me to set up and run but with social media groups being such a huge part of everyones lives nowadays I'm wondering if facebook and twitter would be easier to find and use...

I have my concerns over all being open, and anyone being able to access pictures and information but my name and address along with what I do is readily available to find on the internet anyway...

Hmmm...I'm a little confused to say the least :confused: !!

Any advice or help would be appreciated xx

kellyskidz!
11-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I have a facebook page with only my family and parents/ potential parents as friends
It's totally private, you can't even find it on search unless I give permission
I post photos often on there and give updates, like parents remember Halloween party etc
Reading feedback forms the parents love it, and with technology moving on its a way for us to stay in touch as many forget to write in daily diarys or what have you
I don't post pictures of children's faces as accounts can be hacked, even the most protected ones, its more of their hands doing activities or the back of their heads
If I printed out every pic on there it'd cost me a fortune so its great parents can see loads of fun photos too and get a good idea of what their child has been doing, and see for themselves how much fun they have
When a child leaves I delete the parent/s from the account and I'm also careful not to post where we will be going on a certain day, I usually say we had fun at xxx today :)

shortstuff
11-10-2013, 10:34 AM
I have a website which contains my business facebook. My address isnt in full just the road name and as there are over 200 houses in my road I feel this allows me enough annonimity. This gives me to freedom to change the view on fb and my site at the same time.

I paid a local guy to sort the site for me so cant claim credit.

I dont use twitter but have both personal and business profiles on fb x

Tulip
11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't have facebook, twitter or anything like that.
I'm not over keen on them but everyone else has it so I too have been considering it.
Its another job for another day though!

FussyElmo
11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I have a business page on fb which is open but no information is on there, no photos of minded children not even a photo of me. There is 2 photos my own children in a tree but you cannot see their faces.

Its more of a general what we do? But I have had enquiries through it :thumbsup:

Simona
11-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I can't comment on FB because I don't have a page but I do use twitter

I joined because I like politics but what I have discovered is that there is a huge EY community there with constant info sharing and connecting with all sorts of people....the CPD as a result is amazing especially when you get to read articles from NWorld as they get published and the #EYtalking every Tuesday night

You can also connect to pacey or PLA, pick up the latest
you can follow who you are interested in and people follow you...if you don't like it you can easily leave it alone
If you want to avoid childcare choose others to follow

There is also LinkedIn...I only joined recently but truly like it ...very professional and again you can choose the groups you want to be in

Give it a go and good luck

Bumble Beez
11-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Hmmm...so I'm thinking I'll have to way up pros and cons of each and make a decision...
I like the idea of having a facebook page for work...as I can add to it everyday and parents can view and add comments at their leisure...although if I had a website with a blog, wouldn't that do the same type of thing?
But what about security and confidentiality?
Am I over-thinking this?

kellyskidz!
11-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Anyone can view your website though, which is great if you don't mind other minders or previous parents etc seeing. Personally I like mine being private and I found fb easy to set up as I've I've used it for years.
It's up to you as an individual what works for you xx

shortstuff
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Hmmm...so I'm thinking I'll have to way up pros and cons of each and make a decision...
I like the idea of having a facebook page for work...as I can add to it everyday and parents can view and add comments at their leisure...although if I had a website with a blog, wouldn't that do the same type of thing?
But what about security and confidentiality?
Am I over-thinking this?

im not really very good with computers which is why I got the site done for me. By having the FB imprinted I can change what can be seen but dont need the tech knowledge.

As i dont have the forum mentioned on it I cant advertise it on here but if you would like to see it I am happy to share via private message to give you some ideas?

I am very careful what photos go on anything, so the pictures of my house are peopleless rooms and the pics i put on FB are completed tasks and artwork x

I actually have gained a lot of enquiries through both so it also works in that way.