PDA

View Full Version : Quietest I've ever been :(

Zoomie
10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I just need a shoulder.

Since my longest standing mindee started full time school in September I've had a four day vacancy for one child and a two vacancy for a 2nd child (or two days for two children, and another 2 days for a single child).

I had about 4 families come and see me before the summer - only one came back to me, for a second visit, but then 'something' came up.

Since the summer, I had had only one family come out - think they wanted term time only and I said it would be half fee during the holidays. Haven't bothered to get back in touch.

Money is getting tight - we have DDs birthday and Xmas coming up, and there seems to be very interest from childcare.co.uk - everyone wants a Monday, and I don't have a vacancy for that day.

I know something will come along, but it seems that children are just thin on the ground this year.

Mouse
10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Calls seem to have gone very quiet here after a couple of months where I was getting several a week.

I've fortunate to very rarely have vacancies. I seem to have the knack of taking on children whose parents very quickly get pregnant & keep providing me with a steady supply of babies :laughing:

I hope things pick up for you soon. The financial uncertainty is one of the hardest parts of this job :(

sarah707
10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Fingers crossed the phone rings soon :group hug:

yummyripples
10-10-2013, 06:37 PM
It's quiet here too. I love it but I would like some more money.
I did expect to be full and was turning work away but then one of my babies wasn't settling and I spoke to mum who decided that I was a crap childminder and took him away. I heaved a big sigh of relief and had the place filled from sept (he left in June) & I close in August but then Sept babys mum changed her mind and the only calls I am getting at the moment are for hours that don't suit

Ali56
10-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I hope some work comes your way soon. It's every childminder (and self employed persons ) worry, no work, no money. Maybe you could offer a slightly higher hourly rate and no half fee during the holidays for the term time only child? Might be better than no work at all? especially with christmas coming up. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you xx

Zoomie
10-10-2013, 07:43 PM
I hope some work comes your way soon. It's every childminder (and self employed persons ) worry, no work, no money. Maybe you could offer a slightly higher hourly rate and no half fee during the holidays for the term time only child? Might be better than no work at all? especially with christmas coming up. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you xx

Parent said they would get back to me by last Friday. Haven't heard from them, so I don't think they will be coming.

I can't even seem to get the phone to ring :panic:

yummyripples
10-10-2013, 10:05 PM
You will be surprised how quickly it can change. I have filled a full time place and a part time place in the space of 4 hours tonight!

karen m
11-10-2013, 06:15 AM
I know a few minders that are so quiet they are considering part time work in a supermarket another has just given up and gone into careworn for the elderly. I am fortunate I am full from 6.30 till 5 every day but I know that can change anytime . Hope you get a call soon

Bumble Beez
11-10-2013, 06:19 AM
:group hug:
I find its all or nothing with childminding...
I find I'll sit worrying that I've got spaces that I need to fill, and worry about money...then there will be a few phone calls and they all seem to fit with the days I can do and all of a sudden I'm full again!
Its not nice tho when its quiet...so can sympathise entirely.
Lets hope the phone starts ringing soon xx

jackie 7
11-10-2013, 07:31 AM
I know how you feel. I was in a panic until I got a call to say that she would start in January 2-3 days a week then full time in June. Very tight money wise till January. Will be eating out of freezer and cupboards for a few months.

Bumble Beez
11-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I know how you feel. I was in a panic until I got a call to say that she would start in January 2-3 days a week then full time in June. Very tight money wise till January. Will be eating out of freezer and cupboards for a few months.

And some people have the cheek to say we have it easy and are overpaid?!