PDA

View Full Version : not sure if child has brought fleas into my home

Npg1
09-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Im a bit concerned. I have a child who started in august. When he started he had big red bits all over his legs and back. I mentioned it to mum who said she doesnt know what it is and her dog has been flead. The same has happened again when he came yesterday and now my dd has them. My pets are all up to date with their flea treatment. Any advice?

hectors house
09-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I didn't think that pet fleas lived on humans so didn't think that they could transport them - don't really know what to suggest, other than make sure your pets have been treated (Frontline is pretty useless these days - I have gone back to cheap flea collars from the supermarket/pet shop as frontline costs a fortune, is supposed to last 4 weeks, but rarely lastest for 2 1/2 weeks before I noticed ticks on my dogs). Think there is another product beginning with A that you can get from vets that is supposed to be better.

shortstuff
10-10-2013, 06:53 AM
I didn't think that pet fleas lived on humans so didn't think that they could transport them - don't really know what to suggest, other than make sure your pets have been treated (Frontline is pretty useless these days - I have gone back to cheap flea collars from the supermarket/pet shop as frontline costs a fortune, is supposed to last 4 weeks, but rarely lastest for 2 1/2 weeks before I noticed ticks on my dogs). Think there is another product beginning with A that you can get from vets that is supposed to be better.

Im using the one beginning with an A and you could see the effect within about an hour x all i can say is what an advantage x

hectors house
10-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Im using the one beginning with an A and you could see the effect within about an hour x all i can say is what an advantage x

I wasn't trying to keep the name of product beginning with A a secret - I don't remember what it is called - could you share the name please, especially if it is that effective. Many thanks

jellytots2912
10-10-2013, 08:16 AM
It's called advantage lol :-) I use it on my cats x

AliceK
10-10-2013, 08:26 AM
I use Advocate as a flea treatment as it kills lung worm too which can be fatal. I'm not sure the other products treat lung worm which is why I changed to it. Although cat and dog fleas can bite humans they don't live on us.

xxx

shortstuff
10-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I wasn't trying to keep the name of product beginning with A a secret - I don't remember what it is called - could you share the name please, especially if it is that effective. Many thanks

haha hectors house x i did lol its advantage x

ja-lula-belli
10-10-2013, 09:06 AM
I have experienced this in the past.
If fleas have been brought into your home then it can be a problem especially if your pet has been treated for fleas which means they will go to anyone to get their food.(blood) fleas prefer animals but are not fussy when a pet is not available. If you have noticed signs of fleas you need to completely sort out your house. Vacuum your entire house maybe twice and then use sprays. Vacuum again. Eggs can lay dormant for up to 5 weeks then hatch . they spread like wild flower! There are really useful threads on Google. If you do find Out that it is fleas from the boys house you are going to have to talk to the parents or guardians. I hope it's not the case for you x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Mouse
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Fleas don't live on humans, but can be carried in on their clothing, bags etc and can nip them if there's nothing else around to feed on.

If you call in at a pharmacy or GPs surgery they should be able too say if they think they are flea bites.

hectors house
10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
I use Advocate as a flea treatment as it kills lung worm too which can be fatal. I'm not sure the other products treat lung worm which is why I changed to it. Although cat and dog fleas can bite humans they don't live on us.

xxx

Thank you - that was the one I was thinking of. :)