PDA

View Full Version : 3 in 10 settings downgraded following 'complaint triggered' inspections

Simona
09-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I know this is further bad news but we must be aware of what is going on and join the campaign to get Ofsted to engage with us and accept something is not quite right.

PLA and NDNA as usual responded immediately

Please ensure you are prepared for an inspection, review your practice, read the inspection framework but keep positive

Three in ten settings downgraded following complaints-driven inspections | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1215720/three-ten-settings-downgraded-following-complaints-driven-inspections?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Daftbat
09-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Its worrying information. I was recently inspected following a complaint or "concern" as they like to call it.

My inspection was fine and I was overdue one anyway so quite pleased to get it done. The thing that bothers me is that this article does not make any mention about malicious complaints. Mine was a malicious one and I could prove it as I am taking the parent to court for unpaid fees. Plus I had a FCKKERS inspection which backed up my side of the story.

Malicious complaints need to be dealt with somehow. I think if it can be proven that there is malice afoot then the complainant should be made to foot the bill for the inspection and it should be recorded on our files for view just by us and Ofsted so that people can make a better judgement of how things can be handled. The complainants could be tracked then from minder to minder - I have seen posts on this forum about parents who have been out to cause trouble with more than one child minder and it needs to be stopped. Yes there are minders out there who shouldn't be doing the job but they are in a minority and Ofsted should be able to weed these people out without any one else's help.

I suspect that in at least half the cases of a concern being raised its actually malicious. It makes my blood boil especially when most of us are doing a difficult job giving it 110% and having to deal with the never ending demands of parents and Ofsted. It's time the whole thing was sorted out once and for all.

:D

Simona
09-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Its worrying information. I was recently inspected following a complaint or "concern" as they like to call it.

My inspection was fine and I was overdue one anyway so quite pleased to get it done. The thing that bothers me is that this article does not make any mention about malicious complaints. Mine was a malicious one and I could prove it as I am taking the parent to court for unpaid fees. Plus I had a FCKKERS inspection which backed up my side of the story.

Malicious complaints need to be dealt with somehow. I think if it can be proven that there is malice afoot then the complainant should be made to foot the bill for the inspection and it should be recorded on our files for view just by us and Ofsted so that people can make a better judgement of how things can be handled. The complainants could be tracked then from minder to minder - I have seen posts on this forum about parents who have been out to cause trouble with more than one child minder and it needs to be stopped. Yes there are minders out there who shouldn't be doing the job but they are in a minority and Ofsted should be able to weed these people out without any one else's help.

I suspect that in at least half the cases of a concern being raised its actually malicious. It makes my blood boil especially when most of us are doing a difficult job giving it 110% and having to deal with the never ending demands of parents and Ofsted. It's time the whole thing was sorted out once and for all.

:D

I hope this will be covered in the next steps for #ofstedbigconversation
There is reference in the new framework that those who made the complaint must remain anonymous (page 7 and 9)

In the PLA press release there is further clarification
''However, in cases the concern was alleged by, for example, a parent, and the provider denies that the incident in question took place, the guidance clearly states that the inspector “should focus on observations on the day of the inspection, and whether these lead to any concerns about compliance.”

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/sectornews/74/new-ofsted-early-years-inspection-guidance-places-emphasis-on-provider-history?dm_i=1LR1,1W3TK,BA72IB,6S8CG,1

sarah707
10-10-2013, 06:16 PM
We are hearing from more and more childminders who are inspected as a result of complaints (usually malicious) and who tell us that the inspector spends the entire time looking for a problem - almost as if they are trying to justify their time :( It is things like this that must be challenged - but again as I said in another thread - childminders don't always challenge and if they do they are very often ignored.

It is good that we have PLA on our side to fight this because they seem to be the only ones who are speaking up for us at the moment :D

helengreen13
10-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I had my inspection today and when the inspector turned up told me that I was being inspected because of a complaint and read it out in its entirety. I spent the next two hours explaining myself and I'm happy to say that the complaint was awarded as unfounded. We then went on to do my inspection (which was due in January). This has caused me untold stress and wish the complainant was held accountable for the lies he has told x

Simona
10-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Let's break the figures down...
788 latest figures to April for complaint triggered inspections
600-700 inspections per month
29% led to a downgrade
4758 providers received unannounced inspections
45% dropped from outstanding to inadequate
5 out 405 had their complaint to Ofsted upheld
44 inspectors received a complaint about their inspection

Sobering figures I think and more reason to understand why we need to understand the system and raise our concerns...they may not be upheld but they will be part of the statistics that, at some point, Ofsted will have to agree to reflect on!

teacakepenguin
11-10-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm confused, how come only 29% were downgraded at their inspection but 45% went from an outstanding to an inadequate?

Thanks for this info, it's scary (I'm still waiting for early years children to come onto my books so I can get my initial inspection!)
Jx