PDA

View Full Version : laundry!

buzzy bee
09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
I was just googling another issue and came across a thread on another site where a mum was was concerned that the childminder hung her clothes airer in the same room where the kids play and loads of people were replying saying it was unacceptable... I do this pretty much all the time in winter cos it's the only space I have.

Is it that wrong and if so why?? I really can't see the issue!

buzzy bee
09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

amyp
09-10-2013, 02:11 PM
No issue that I can see x

jolliesdean
09-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I have read that they have caused injury, in fact somewhere a guy was killed when it collapsed and his head was trapped and due to the structure he was unable to free himself, good supervision should solve this x

tulip0803
09-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I have clothes all over radiators but I tend to put my airer in a corner in my bedroom (has also been in the bathroom, on the landing and in DS bedroom at various times). I don't put it downstairs but then I have space upstairs out the way

Mrsh3103
09-10-2013, 02:36 PM
My washing gets hung up in the kitchen on the airer even when its sunny. We live near some docks & sometimes the smell of fish is so strong it clings to the clothes :(
I've never considered it to be an issue. Even at my pre reg I had a airer full of my massive bridget jones' she never mentioned it.

loocyloo
09-10-2013, 09:24 PM
In the winter I often have an airer of clothes next to the aga in the kitchen. They dry quickly.

The playroom is off the kitchen and we use the kitchen for messy play and eating!

k1rstie
09-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Problems with collapsing, especially if a child tried to climb it, or respiratory problems due to the dampness????

Just got a new gadget. An electric clothes airier. From Lakeland, pricey, but fed up with all the washing over the radiators, banister etc. brilliant!!!!

I was discussing it with one of my mums this morning, she said EVERYTHING can be tumbled! But their school cardies only go up to their elbows!

smurfette
10-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Problems with collapsing, especially if a child tried to climb it, or respiratory problems due to the dampness????

Just got a new gadget. An electric clothes airier. From Lakeland, pricey, but fed up with all the washing over the radiators, banister etc. brilliant!!!!

I was discussing it with one of my mums this morning, she said EVERYTHING can be tumbled! But their school cardies only go up to their elbows!

Would love one of these does it work well?

JCrakers
10-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't put mine in the same room as I don't want snot and dribble all over the ones at the bottom :thumbsup:

I don't see a problem but anything could cause an injury....depends how heavy it is, mines quite light and plastic

Emra81
10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Have I completely imagined it or maybe I read it somewhere else but wasn't there a cm who had an unannounced following a complaint and got downgraded -one of the reasons being health and safety as she had a clothes drier up in the playroom and the inspector said it was extremely unsafe for the children to be playing around (and under!) it? Cannot for the life of me think where I heard about it...!

appleblossom
10-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I have one of these in my playroom. Once it's up you hardly notice it. The clothes dry really quickly as warm air rises.

5 Lath Pulley Clothes Airers - 5 Wooden Lath Victorian Traditional Ceiling Clothes Airer Drying Rack (http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product.php/3414/5-lath-victorian-kitchen-maid-pulley-clothes-airer?gclid=COGU7tGojLoCFRPItAodd1kA-Q)

smurfette
10-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Have I completely imagined it or maybe I read it somewhere else but wasn't there a cm who had an unannounced following a complaint and got downgraded -one of the reasons being health and safety as she had a clothes drier up in the playroom and the inspector said it was extremely unsafe for the children to be playing around (and under!) it? Cannot for the life of me think where I heard about it...!

I actually remember as a child playing under one and it folded up and my neck was caught in it, luckily my mum was just near by and I was fine .. Funny haven't thought about it recently, have my clothes horse up in the sitting / dining room but they are never unsupervised so don't worry

k-tots
10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Im lucky......I tumble dry the majority of our clothes and have a maiden up....in our utility which is locked during working hours. .....what abpit putting it up in your room? Or a room u dont use x

clareelizabeth1
10-10-2013, 03:02 PM
All my clothes are dried out the way as I have the space and ds likes to "help" and take all the clothes off when ever he is near it.

If it weren't for ds I wouldn't have a problem with them drying in the play room.

rickysmiths
10-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I used to put the airer in the bathroom (we have a downstairs toilet) or in my bedroom. I would never dream of putting washing on an airer or on the radiator of the room the children pay in. It doesn't look very professional and knowing my lot it would end up on the floor anyway! We are now lucky enough to have a downstair shower room with a huge walk in shower. I can get two airers up in the shower so in the winter I do that. If it isn't dry when the minded children go home then I put them in the playroom overnight.

I have never had a tumble drier I prefer to hang clothes out on the line like I did this morning.

dawn100
10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I put the airer upstairs in my room during the day as wouldn't want everyone seeing what pants I wear (I don't even hang my undies in the garden) also if I had it where the children played I'm sure my clothes wouldn't stay on it very long!

The Juggler
10-10-2013, 08:59 PM
in 9 years I probably had a clothes airer out every day. either in the garden, by my washing machine or in the kitchen where we ate and did messy play. No one every got hurt

in fact they used to help fold the washing, guess whose it was and loved to practice putting pegs on and taking them off.

karen m
11-10-2013, 06:24 AM
I often have my airer out also washing on radiators , when items on radiators are dry I move them and put things of airer on a bit quicker, then all away cannot stand having washing hanging round waiting to dry