PDA

View Full Version : prospective parents asking to spk to other parents before they decide to use me?

chelsea59
09-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I have met said parents on three ocassions, once in a caffe for 10 mins then they came over for a meeting and then a second meeting and now they're asking to speak to the over parents before they go ahead trouble is I haven't told the overs i was even seeing them. So now i'll ave to call them and explain and ask if they can speak to these new parents. is that normal?

they were quite nosey too. dunno wat to do

what ever happened to the parents who came and decided straught away eh i been doing this for years and actually feelin a bit insulted.

Rick
09-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Do you have any feedback forms you could show prospective parents. Will this not be enough evidence of how well you work?

Tazmin68
09-10-2013, 03:57 PM
I just have all of the thank you letters and cards when children leave in my folder for parents to see.

bunyip
09-10-2013, 03:58 PM
I have a couple of clients who are always happy to give telephone references or answer questions from prospective parents, but you can't force them to if they won't consent to such unsolicited contact.

OK, I can see why parents may have a lot to ask or seem nosey. They are, after all, trusting us with their child. But, having just gone through a bad experience with an over-anxious mum, I'd be a bit wary about how far I'd go with a family if I got a bad feeling about their behaviour. :(

kellyskidz!
09-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Do you have any feedback forms you could show prospective parents. Will this not be enough evidence of how well you work?

I agree, I usually ask parents to fill out a questionnaire every year to give me feedback, positive or negative and keep these to show new clients
I wouldn't have a problem with parents speaking to each other, but you can say I'd have to ask them if they're willing to speak to you, or if it convenient for them as they may not want to give advice or feedback for whatever reason xx

hectors house
09-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I often schedule a home visit so that prospective parents will still be here when another parent collects (I have several children who leave about 3.30 pm), I find that the prospective parents can see how I interact and share information about the child's day, sometimes the parent picking up with say things like "Sarah is just so amazing" which makes it so much easier. I do have references, thank you cards, yearly satisfaction surveys and leaving surveys in a folder to show them as well as a couple of lovely references on childcare website.

I haven't ever had a parent who wanted to phone another parent - you better give your current parents the prospective parents phone number, rather than the other way round - my parents wouldn't want me giving out their numbers to strangers!

Tealady
09-10-2013, 04:38 PM
They are just after references in a way. However you have been the one dealing with them so you will know if it feels a bit more than this.

Mouse
09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I don't keep written references, but do say that if parents want to speak to a current parent I will arrange it. It's happened a few times. Current parents have always agreed & been more than happy to speak to a prospective parent. They must say something right because the new families have always come to me :laughing:

Koala
09-10-2013, 04:51 PM
I have in the past offered existing parents and past parents contact details (with consent) to prospective parents for references, however nobody contacted them and I don't any more.

I feel that a prospective parent should be content and confident with what I tell them, if they aren't then maybe they aren't the right family to join us?

The prospective family you have inquiring sound a little over zealous and you said they were quite nosey It doesn't sound like you are comfortable with them. Three meetings and they want references too, MMMMmmmm, sounds tricky, I wouldn't hesitate to provide references myself, however, from what you have said I would just be a little wary and make sure they understand the settling in period!! AND YOUR policies and procedures.

Sometimes I wish we could ask for references from previous childcare providers about the parents and their children!!!

chelsea59
09-10-2013, 05:09 PM
ta very to all for your helpful comments i spoke to the parents today they said they're 'appy to so i'll do it but i will see how it goes any more questions or meetings and i'll just say it's not right for me thanks

Daftbat
09-10-2013, 05:36 PM
I have always offered contact info for prospective new parents. Its not often been taken up but I don't see a problem with it. Afterall we are told time and time again to check with other clients for things like builders (yes, I know its a bit different) but just because we are Ofsted registered doesn't mean that our service will be suitable for everyone.

A lot of business for childminders comes from word of mouth, and this is often said to be the best method of finding a childminder anyway. Isn't this just the same thing but from the opposite direction? I am all for people speaking to others.

The Juggler
09-10-2013, 08:29 PM
i have had a few parents ask me. I always check with teh other parents first and if they are happy pass it on.

Before I was minding myself, I was also asked to provide a reference this way for my children's minder. :thumbsup:

bindy
10-10-2013, 06:44 AM
I always offer parents numbers. All my parents are happy to be referees. I only give 1 or 2 numbers and different parents at different times so they don't get fed up with phone calls. Sorry, I would check reference if I was to leave my child with anyone!

jadavi
10-10-2013, 06:51 AM
I was asked too recently and like you , felt a bit uncomfortable about it. It was a first time pregnant mum looking for care next summer! It was also a teacher and I have found that combo can be very twitchy and nervous so I did not mind that she never got back to me.
Luckily I had someone who didn't mind doing a phone reference but she never rang in the end.
It's a bit cheeky I think. Parent feedback forms should be ok imo

jackie 7
10-10-2013, 07:12 AM
I have given numbers with consent. As a nanny I always had to give numbers of old families. In many jobs you have to provide phone contacts of old jobs. I wouldn't worry about that but if you are not sure about the family focus on that.