PDA

View Full Version : Emergency over night call out?

Topkad84
09-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi,

Just wondering what you would charge, I have had an enquiry from a mum who pregnant, she has three children 14, 8, 3. And would like me to be on standby for if she gets rushed into hospital during the night while her husband is away. It will mean me getting up at what ever time to go to her house and wait for husband or relative to get there could be up to three hours wait.
I'm happy to do this as she is a lovely lady and I know she wants peace of mind that her children are in good care.

Mouse
09-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Is this for a family you already mind for? Over the years I have done this for a few of my parents, but have never charged. I'm not sure what I've have charged if it was not a family I already worked with.

The last time I did it, parents dropped their child off with me on the way to hospital at 5am. It was a normal contracted day when I'd have had mindee anyway, so it was already paid for from 9am. I didn't charge anything for the extra hours. It meant mum's sister didn't have to travel over until the end of the day. If it hadn't been a contracted day she would have come over early to collect the child (she was a 3 hour drive away), but I still wouldn't have charged for the hours I had him.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to help out. And parents are usually very appreciative. Even the ones I've been on standby for, but never been needed, have given me flowers afterwards :D

Topkad84
09-10-2013, 10:26 AM
My friend that has move use to mind for this family, I have never looked after them but know them through school. Mums was planning on getting an au pair but has not been successful yet.
I was thinking £20 call out and first hour then normal rates per hour?

Mouse
09-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I think that sounds fair. It's not a huge amount to pay out, but will give mum peace of mind knowing she has someone to call on in an emergency :thumbsup: