PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish...

Bumble Beez
08-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Does anyone else struggle to get rid of all the rubbish from their house each week?!

Now whether it's cos I'm childminding or just cos we have five in our household and lots of animals I don't know...but every week out black (general waste) and blue (recycling) bins are overflowing...
And I use next doors bin (with their permission) when we have lots...

I take all glass to the bottle bank and use as much as I can for junk modelling etc...Yet I still have to make trips to the dump just to get rid of boxes and bags of stuff...just stuff!!

Drives me mad lol...

Sarah x

Mrsh3103
08-10-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm really struggling too. Our bins are only collected fortnightly and by the end of the 1st week they're full. I'm taking bin bags to put in my mum and my inlaws bins whenever we visit!

dette
08-10-2013, 09:45 AM
our big wheelie bin is full every week (we are a big family me DH and 7 kids)plus we recycle loads ,council provide purple bags for plastic ,metal and glass and big green strong bags for card and paper.recycling gets collected fortnightly so there is a massive pile by collection day.This week it was still there when mindees arrived and every parent passed some comment or another ,ranging from OOOHHH you having a sort out ...er no its just our recycling:o and the worst one ...OOOOHHHH you had a party (there was a few wine bottles ):o:o:o.
We tend to pop stuff in neighbours bin too.She is an old dear on her own so usually room.

rickysmiths
08-10-2013, 10:45 AM
No we never have a problem except at Christmas when collections go a bit odd as well then we take a few bags to the local dump.

I don't understand why people have problems.

We have one large w.bin which takes cardboard, garden waste and food waste, collected once a week.. We have a massive 8' hedge and the only time the bin is full is when we cut the hedge. It usually takes two collections to get all the trimmings in. Other than that twice a year it is never full.

We have a small (family of four + cm in this area does not allow us to have a big bin) W.Bin for all general rubbish. I have a small flip top bin in the kitchen which we fill once a week with stuff that won't recycle and two of these plus all the nappies easily fit in the bin for its fortnightly collection.

In our area we then have boxes for our recycling which are collected once a fortnight. They are just fairly med sized plastic boxes. We usually have one with a bit of glass, one with paper and two or three with plastic, metal and juice cartons.

Because we recycle we have hardly anything in our general bin.

I think you have to shop wisely as well and I never put loose fruit and veg in plastic bags, I try to buy meat from the butcher with no plastic trays etc. We squash milk cartons and juice cartons before putting them in the bin. I use reusable shopping bags.

If there were 9 of us we would be allocated a bigger W. Bin so it wouldn't be an issue then either. We are allowed as many recycling bins as we want.

Little miss
08-10-2013, 10:53 AM
We have been restricted to two bags of rubbish for each household. We have to use bin bags given by the council only which are very thin and very small. It's a struggle

Mrsh3103
08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Our bins are quite small considering we have fortnightly collections. They will only collect if the bin lid is shut properly. Even of it is only a tiny bit open they will leave it. This os the same for the recycling.
We have just received our christmas period bin collection schedule and there are 6 weeks between recycling collections! That'll be fun!

AliceK
08-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Yes we struggle. We can only use rubbish sacks provided by the council and the amount they give us for the year means we can use 1.5 bags per week (or 1 one week and then 2 the next week lol). A lot of my "rubbish" is straw / sawdust from cleaning the bunnies out which I do every day, cat litter from the cats trays and dog poo. I'm sure if it wasn't for that lot we could stick within our allocated allowance. We pay to have our garden cuttings taken away fornightly and we always use our maximum amount of boxes for recycling.

xxx

singingcactus
08-10-2013, 11:09 AM
No. We have a family of 5, loads of pets and 6+ minded kids. We have a general sized wheelie bin which is collected once a fortnight. We have only just started getting a kerbside recycling collection. We have a small box for plastics and cans combined, a small box just for glass, and a bag for paper, once a fortnight. We do have a garden waste bin but I have never used that one.
I'm really careful about what I buy, I look at packaging first before anything else. I don't buy over packaged goods. I also don't really buy any processed goods which all tend to come with masses of packaging. I use re-usable cloths, wipes etc rather than disposable stuff. We eat mostly whole foods which tend to come loose and take reusable bags on shopping trips.
If it wasn't for the rabbits and cats (all other animal bedding is re-usable in some way) my bin would only need emptying every 6 weeks or so...apart from the smell, bleh.
Maybe you could look at what it is that is taking up so much room in your landfill bin every week and see if there is some way you could reduce it. That sounds like a lot of waste going to land fill every week :(

Zoomie
08-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Our recycling is collected fortnightly and we are always overloaded. Only put plastic, tins, paper, cardboard in but as we consume a lot of milk I know why. Have used milk packets but a couple of spillages put me off, so we are back using containers.

Generally okay with general waste - but we have weekly collections

k1rstie
08-10-2013, 12:23 PM
I have started using terracycle for recycling actimel yogurt pots and drinking jogurths and biscuit outers.

They recycle them, and they pay you money for the charity of your choice.

I sent a box of yogurt pots and actimel bottles off lat week, there were over 150 of them and it banked over £3 for our childminding drop in.

They pay 2p per pot (approx) and 4p currently for the biscuit wrappers.

Takes a bit of organisation, plus space to hide from DH, but money for old rope really!

k1rstie
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
I get through loads of punnets of strawberries, peaches etc. I stack all the pun nets, and then throw away when a pile, so taking up less room.

Or before I put them in the bin, I cut down the four sides, which flattens them a bit, and helps them take up less room in the bin

Tinkerbell1979
08-10-2013, 12:32 PM
No, we have weekly collections, can have as many recycling boxes as we like and throw out as many full black sacks as we want. They even took my old Maxi Cosi car seat this morning that was so old the fabric had ripped.

We're a family of 5 plus 3/4 minded kids x

charlottenash
08-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Im gonna put myself at risk of a forum backlash here but:

I have a black bin and 4 recycling bins. We gave up recycling because they kept changing what could go in each one and then not collecting because of it. It got so monotonous i gave up

As for my black bin it fills up in a week, is collected fortnightly so i have to take a trip to the dump at least once a fortnight, drives me insane!!!!

maisiemog
08-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Ours is fortnightly collection and we try to keep it it a bare minimum but within a week it's usually full and DH is jumping in it to try and make more space.

Our recycling boxes are always full as well and I am going to start doing the food waste box as well but not keen on that one. I'm also thinking of a compost bin as well but we have a concrete garden so not sure if that will work.

We are 3 in the house plus 8 mindees. Most of our waste is cat litter. I do try and recycle everything I can.

rickysmiths
08-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Im gonna put myself at risk of a forum backlash here but:

I have a black bin and 4 recycling bins. We gave up recycling because they kept changing what could go in each one and then not collecting because of it. It got so monotonous i gave up

As for my black bin it fills up in a week, is collected fortnightly so i have to take a trip to the dump at least once a fortnight, drives me insane!!!!

I have one bin and usually only use 4 recycling bins a fortnight.

Kerry30
08-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Wheelie bin is fortnightly here and mines not always full unless i decide to have a big tidy up at weekend. Amazing how much junk u accumulate. And weekly recyling for card bottles etc. Plastics are same day as wheelie bin collection. Wish plastics were wkly too as i have so much of it.

tulip0803
08-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Most weeks I don't have a problem. We don't have wheelie bins here and have alternating recycle and general waste collections. They will only take 4 black sacks a fortnight (month if they skip a black bag week for a bank holiday!). They will take all the blue recycling bags that we have (cardboard, tins, paper, plastic, clean foil and clean plastic wrap so a very good recycling collection!). Every week they also collect an 2 ft tall food waste so apart from nappies the black bags are not very smelly .

This week however Teenage DD1 has had a huge clearout of her bedroom (overdue) even under bed & drawers and we have mountains of black sacks sure most can be recycled but I am not going through it to sort it.

They won't take Ash, cat litter or hutch shavings unless the don't see them so you have to hide them in bags with lots of other stuff:rolleyes: They have been known to open suspicious bags and then leave them.

samb
08-10-2013, 06:29 PM
We are fine with general waste but recycling bin is always full after week 1 - both bins here are collected fortnightly and food waste every week. We do dump runs once or twice a month as we just have so much to recycle. We are allowed to put more recycling out in open bags not sacks but that just gets blown out or animals empty it so seems silly to do that so we just take it ourselves.

moggy
08-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Family of 4 + 3 mindees, two of who are in nappies and we are down to just 1 carrier bag of rubbish a week.
I only put out the refuse bin weekly because of the smelly nappies.

I do not by yogurts (make own), I do not buy cakes/biscuits (do without or make our own), I do not buy crisps (we do without), I do not buy jam (make all our own).
I buy bulk eco- washing-up liquid, shampoo and conditioner & decant into regular bottles.
I buy very little pre-packaged convenience foods and no ready meals.
I recycle absolutely everything I can- 1 small wheelie bin of recycling in council recycling bin each fortnight.
All food waste + garden waste goes in the hot-composter in the garden.
I collect coffee packaging for Terracycle recycling and plastic milk bottle tops for a local charity.
I shop carefully and avoid all excess packaging.
I only use my own cloth carrier bags.
I flatten everything before it goes in the bin.
I re-use food bags (like pasta bags) for nappy sacks.
I never use disposable wipes/cloths (except mindees nappy wipes)
I compost used kitchen roll.
I never throw away fabrics/textiles, old electric appliances as they can be recycled at the tip.
I reuse cereal packet inner-bags and bread bags for wrapping sandwiches.

I could not bring myself to put out any more refuse than I do, it is causing so much damage to our environment- the landfill locally is full to the top (literally, I can see it from a road nearby). I hate waste. By living the way we do we also save money and help teach our children how to do the best for their future.

It can be done, easily. Once it is automatic for all the family to put things in the right place/bin and you think about what you buy, it is no more trouble than trying to deal with overflowing refuse bins.

Bumble Beez
08-10-2013, 07:42 PM
I admire everyone who keeps waste to a minimum...and I do try hard, but just seems to build up super quick :(
I am going to take all advice offered and aim to reduce our waste as much as possible :thumbsup:

Sarah x