PDA

View Full Version : Child leaving

teacake2
08-10-2013, 07:23 AM
I have a child leaving in a couple of weeks because parents can no longer afford to pay me, he has been with me two years now. Grandparent is going to look after him, now they fall out all the time and I am always having to change his hours because of this and there would have been no one to pick him up if I hadn't. I think I have sorted the mum out and that she will be bringing him back in January for his 15 hours funded place, but she is one of those people that can never make a decision until the last minute, she is a lovely person, always paid on time and always appreciated what I have done for them, not many like her about these days. Now my dilemma is do I give her his LJ etc and run the risk of her losing everything, or do I keep it in case he does come back in January and I can just carry on with it? I really do not know what to do :(:(:(:(:(:(
Has anyone else been in this situation before?
Teacake2

Kiddleywinks
08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I had a similar situation in that parent was made redundant, but if successful in getting a new job, LO would be staying.
Child left after the notice period, taking LJ as it is theirs and not mine.
I've now closed the child's file, deleted everything that needed to go, and the file is now in the loft.

Should LO return, I'll be starting afresh.

The LJ belongs to the child/parents, so if it gets lost or damaged, sadly, there's nothing you can do. There are no guarantees that the child will return in January - anything could happen between now and then

Mouse
08-10-2013, 07:53 AM
I am in exactly the same situation now.

One of my mums has been made redundant & is looking for work. We have an agreement in place for lo to stay with me until the end of Oct. The plan is for them to come back in January for their funded hours, or earlier if mum gets a job in the meantime.

I'm keeping their file open & keeping all their development documents here. If they do come back in January (mum says they definitely will, but I know how things change) I'll just carry on from there, but if they don't come back I will hand everything over in January.

teacake2
08-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Thank you for your replies.
Teacake2

sarah707
08-10-2013, 06:08 PM
If it's no longer useful to you then you need to give it back to parents.

I'd start again if the child comes back - new starting points and a new tracker :D

bunyip
08-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't know where the idea came from that LJs belong to parents. :confused: They don't, any more than a child's medical records or school records. Parents certainly have a right of access to much of the content under Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation, but the CM remains the author and therefore the owner of IP rights therein - including all images.

This is yet another example of the many false assumptions in the industry based on nothing more than 'usual practice' and this forms the lazy thinking of what is passed on by far too many DOs and trainers.

Legalities aside, from a practical point of view, I'd discuss this with the mother. I see little point in Teacake giving the LJ up if there is a chance of this making unnecessary work for her should the lo indeed return in January. Particularly as I get the distinct impression this mum could have a quick glance at the photos, say, "ahh bless, how sweet" then promptly go ahead and lose them with the recycling.

At the very least, I'd hold onto the LJ until it becomes clear the child is not coming back, or scan/photocopy the most recent content. :thumbsup: